Good Samaritan Shot

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
CainA
Posts in topic: 1

Good Samaritan Shot

Post by CainA »

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 525853.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A good Samaritan was shot in the head Friday morning when he tried to help a woman during a domestic dispute with her husband outside a nail salon in north Harris County, officials said.

Jumping Frog

Re: Good Samaritan Shot

Post by Jumping Frog »

Scary stuff. Domestic disputes are unpredictable and can be quite dangerous.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Jumping Frog wrote:Scary stuff. Domestic disputes are unpredictable and can be quite dangerous.
Especially if you're unarmed.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

If you page through the 14 photos that accompany the text, you can see
the LEO holding a long weapon in photo 3. Can someone ID this model? What caliber does it shoot?

The Good Samaritan was shot with a handgun, but I don't think it's shown in any of the pix, or
described in the text. My aim here would be to get some idea on whether the GG got a .22 round,
or somthing more substantial.

TIA / SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

That is a SIG 556 shooting .223/5.56. I double checked this is not the "trainer" 522.

Photo 5 shows 2 rd cases, 1 is .223 and one possibly is a 9mm or 38.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

SIA,

The head is a well designed protective vault for the brain. There are more places on the head that, if hit, will result in spectacular bleeding but, little else. Even a hit to the cranial vault has only so many places that will result in death. Witness Cong. Gabby Giffords, she was shot through the head and still was saved. She will never be the same person she was before the gunshot but, she's alive. If the victim was hit in the jaw or through the cheek yes that's a head wound but not a likely fatal one with early and proper medical intervention.

Evan Marshall tells of a Detroit cop shot in the head with a .45 who never realized he was hit until the blood ran into his eyes. The bullet (FMJ) broke the skin and followed the skull half way around only to be removed by the doctor at the hospital by making a small incision in the skin. The next day he had a heckuva headache but was back on duty in a couple of weeks.

The head shot we can do without it.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Beiruty & MoJo:

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MoJo wrote:SIA,

The head is a well designed protective vault for the brain. There are more places on the head that, if hit, will result in spectacular bleeding but, little else. Even a hit to the cranial vault has only so many places that will result in death. Witness Cong. Gabby Giffords, she was shot through the head and still was saved. She will never be the same person she was before the gunshot but, she's alive. If the victim was hit in the jaw or through the cheek yes that's a head wound but not a likely fatal one with early and proper medical intervention.

Evan Marshall tells of a Detroit cop shot in the head with a .45 who never realized he was hit until the blood ran into his eyes. The bullet (FMJ) broke the skin and followed the skull half way around only to be removed by the doctor at the hospital by making a small incision in the skin. The next day he had a heckuva headache but was back on duty in a couple of weeks.

The head shot we can do without it.
Back in my ER days, one of my friends on the PPD had shot a perp in the head with his .357 the same way. The bullet hit the perp right between the eyes, dissected between his scalp and skull, and popped out the back. The perp had just shot my friend in the stomach with a .410 bore and he was down and laying on his back when he shot the perp as he was running up a staircase. He said the guy paused, shook his head, and kept on running.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Tragic, be a good witness.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

So, so sad for everyone involved. I would be very hesitant to be anything other than a good witness unless it was obvious someone was about to get killed. Even then, intervention would be of the armed variety. Domestics can go downhill and off the tracks far too quickly to get involved unless there are extremely extenuating circumstances. Too much raw emotion swirling around for the perp and the victim.

terryg

Post by terryg »

Not all hero stories end well. Anytime you stick yourself out to try and help someone, no matter how slight it may seem, there is risk involved. I won't second guess his judgement at attempting to offer assistance vs. just being a good witness. The story said two people stepped in to help. One of them did not get shot.

I think most of us have seen the the 'What would you do?" elevator scenario video. (Aside from being dangerous experiment unless it was held in a building with metal detectors.) We all criticize the guy at the end for pulling out his phone to video it ... but is that not a case of just being a good witness?

[youtube][/youtube]
... this space intentionally left blank ...

jmra

Post by jmra »

terryg wrote:I think most of us have seen the the 'What would you do?" elevator scenario video. (Aside from being dangerous experiment unless it was held in a building with metal detectors.) We all criticize the guy at the end for pulling out his phone to video it ... but is that not a case of just being a good witness?
If he was filming with one phone and on 911 with another phone then maybe. There's no doubt in my mind that whole video is a fraud.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”