Corpus Cristi - good or bad

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanjoker

Corpus Cristi - good or bad

Post by texanjoker »

Just back from a trip to Corpus and Port A. Man I didn't realize how much I missed the salt H20. I am seriously considering applying for a job down that way. I have one friend that lives in that area and he really likes it. Anybody have any input about the area? I also really liked the Rockport area.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Corpus Cristi - good or bad

Post by SQLGeek »

texanjoker wrote: Man I didn't realize how much I missed the salt H20.
That's no joke. I need a Central Coast fix soon. :grumble
Psalm 91:2

fickman

Post by fickman »

I'd love to hear some pointers from you as far as vacation went. . .

(I posted this thread a few weeks ago: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=66846)
Native Texian

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I know what you mean. I, too, miss the ocean. I do not miss CA, but I've been away from San Diego since '87.

I've been to Corpus once and it was nice. We might be able to make a couple more trips down there in up coming years. One of my nieces has been accepted to college down there and starts this fall. If she's going to stay down there over the summers we might try and coordinate a summer vacation with my sister and BIL to visit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

Texanjoker, I was born and raised in Corpus. It's got it's good and bad like all places.....the humidity is bad and the wind blows nearly all the time (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) just not all that good when your fishing. The thing I miss most about the coast is fishing, nothing better than drifting the flats for tailing redfish.

I also worked offshore for about 8 years so offshore fishing didn't really appeal to me much (did do it a lot though).

Not a big fan of the beach...probably cuz I spent so much time out there as a kid. Sand gets in places you didn't know was possible.

All in all not a bad place to grow up in.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

C-dub wrote:I know what you mean. I, too, miss the ocean. I do not miss CA, but I've been away from San Diego since '87.

I've been to Corpus once and it was nice. We might be able to make a couple more trips down there in up coming years. One of my nieces has been accepted to college down there and starts this fall. If she's going to stay down there over the summers we might try and coordinate a summer vacation with my sister and BIL to visit.
87..moved there in 88 for the job from the high desert.... almost crossed paths :cheers2:

I have been on the 'net most of the day scoping it out. I used to fish salt 2-3 days a week either on my yak or my boat... argh

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

I grew up 1/2 mile from the Atlantic Ocean. Spent every waking hour of every Summer "at the beach." Other than laying on the beach in Hawaii on a welcome 7 day R&R from a jungle adventure in the late '60's, I wouldn't care if I ever spent another minute on a beach again. That, and years of flying offshore oilfield support, and too much time twiddling my thumbs on the decks of troop ships watching endless nothing go by, I really wouldn't care if I ever saw an ocean again. Guess I'm jaded :biggrinjester:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Used to live there and had a sailboat near Port A, but it's been awhile. It's a long trip out if you like to sail in the Gulf (South Padre is better for Gulf sailing), but unless your economic situation allows you to live in a more remote coastal location it's pretty good compared to the high population coastal areas in the Houston vicinity.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Another neat thing about Corpus is that you get new carpets and roofs every few years.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

brainman

Post by brainman »

I'm visiting family there now and the town has turned I to a serious rathole in the last 20 years. There is no chance I would voluntarily live here.

texas80

Post by texas80 »

I live in small town North of Corpus and across the Bay from Rockport, its nice to be able to just walk down to the water and fish or swim when I wish . There are other smaller towns on the water if you dont really care for the larger ones like Corpus.

ktulu61

Post by ktulu61 »

Headin down to Aransas Pass tomorrow!!! :woohoo Taking the family. Son's second time at the beach, daughter's first time. But I can't wait to sneak off and wet a line!!! Even if it's just a couple of casts...

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

texas80 wrote:I live in small town North of Corpus and across the Bay from Rockport, its nice to be able to just walk down to the water and fish or swim when I wish . There are other smaller towns on the water if you dont really care for the larger ones like Corpus.
We drove that area looking at some houses.... Very nice! Not to bad of a commute to corpus either from what I could tell.

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

texanjoker wrote:Just back from a trip to Corpus and Port A. Man I didn't realize how much I missed the salt H20. I am seriously considering applying for a job down that way. I have one friend that lives in that area and he really likes it. Anybody have any input about the area? I also really liked the Rockport area.
Corpus has had some rough times. The oil field is picking up again and hiring.

I hope Corpus gets a better mayor and city council. It has the potential to be so much more than it is.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Off-Topic”