Another special session?

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Owens
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Another special session?

Post by Owens »

Folks,
Call me crazy, or whatever, but I'm not ready to give up on campus carry. Just sent a letter to Gov asking for it be added to 2nd special session. It may not have any effect, but I can say that no effort will result in nothing.

At least I can say I tried.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by GEM-Texas »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/t ... html?hp=r9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Says that the session could last for 30 days and take up capital punishment and transportation issues.

Campus carry could take just a little bit of time, Rick. Time to step up to your rhetoric. Or does it only count on other issues?

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

he's not going to add anything extra controversial yet, he can't...otherwise they'll take up the "easy stuff", then he'll just get the same crap from the left that happened the other night again, this way hopefully they'll have to work...well maybe?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

I can't think of a single person I ever met who he would alienate by adding campus carry, that he didn't already alienate by adding abortion to the first call. When he doubled down on abortion, and didn't add gun rights (at no additional political cost to him) he was crystal clear where he stands on gun rights for average Texans.

IlliniBill

Post by IlliniBill »

bizarrenormality wrote:I can't think of a single person I ever met who he would alienate by adding campus carry, that he didn't already alienate by adding abortion to the first call. When he doubled down on abortion, and didn't add gun rights (at no additional political cost to him) he was crystal clear where he stands on gun rights for average Texans.
Agree 100%. This is why I can't understand why he is avoiding the campus carry issue. It is far less controversial than the abortion bill.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

the problem is the work has to get done, if he puts both of those items on the call right away, nothing will get done, if he waits and adds a gun item later after something is actually done, then it might actually get done. make sense?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 11

Post by GEM-Texas »

1. Doesn't make sense.

2. The work - his crusade against abortion? Actual legislation on how to run the place isn't that. He goes and makes speeches about abortion and the opposition. Where was the speech about gun rights the other day?

3. He refused to use his powers in the previous legislative session, way back when.

You cannot but conclude is that the campus carry issue is one that doesn't drive him and we should stop making excuses for him.

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

I don't think it's limited to campus carry. It's clear that our right to keep and bear arms is not important to him. Like other "elites" he intends to have his guns, but he clearly doesn't care about gun rights for Texans in general.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

I am more interested in legislation better defining 30.06 rules for cities and entities doing business in place of and in service to the government. If they are pre-empted by state law, then they should have to obey the law just as we must do so.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Either way, it looks like Perry is all talk when it comes to gun rights.

He has nice hair. I will give him credit for that much

AEA

Post by AEA »

Wonder if he actually combs it himself or has some flunky do it every morning?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jason K »

bayouhazard wrote:Either way, it looks like Perry is all talk when it comes to gun rights.

In other words, he's a typical Republican presidential candidate.....

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

bayouhazard wrote:Either way, it looks like Perry is all talk when it comes to gun rights.

I'd rather give the devil his due. Speaker Strauss, not Gov. Perry has stifled many of the important gun rights bills recently. He stopped campus carry for the last two sessions and made sure that expanded locations for CHLs didn't happen this session.

The Governor did not veto gun rights bills. He was given very limited gun rights bills to sign, versus all of the gun rights bills that were proposed. The only good news is that the atrocious anti-gun bills that were proposed didn't fare any better.

I, for one, would like to acknowledge that we are better off at the end of this session than when we started. It was far from all we wanted but no where near as bad as it could have been.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Richard_B
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Richard_B »

GEM-Texas wrote:1. Doesn't make sense.

2. The work - his crusade against abortion? Actual legislation on how to run the place isn't that. He goes and makes speeches about abortion and the opposition. Where was the speech about gun rights the other day?

3. He refused to use his powers in the previous legislative session, way back when.

You cannot but conclude is that the campus carry issue is one that doesn't drive him and we should stop making excuses for him.
Let's face it, if Straus is not the enemy, he certainly is doing his best to look like one and Perry, apparently, will sign a number of bills that make it to his desk, but won't lift a finger to help get them there. Some friend, huh?

NRA-ILA says of its "A" rating of Straus, in essence, he could screw us even worse if we gave him a poorer rating. As to Pickett, their rationalization was completely implausible. Until we get better leadership at ILA is it any wonder such characters keep getting re-elected with the help of the membership who have relied upon their misguided guidance.

Let's start by getting new leadership within and work on our own to replace the people in office who are not helping us.
Last edited by Richard_B on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The special session is to pass legislation to protect the unborn. This is very important legislation. Put in perspective, how can we worry about campus carry and other gun issues while innocent babies are butchered?

I do want legislation passed that allows more firearms freedom, but when the most innocent are being deprived of life, I can patiently wait for my freedom.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”