Pressured To Tip

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Pressured To Tip

Post by Abraham »

Got my truck washed and waxed today.

Upon producing my credit card was pointedly asked if I would to tip the staff using my credit card or did I have enough cash on hand to provide a tip?

I was surprised to encounter such bald pressure at the cash register.

As I silently stood there, I was then advised (because it was apparent by the stark look on my face) that the help needs tips as they're paid minimum wage.

So, since pressure didn't produce, guilt tactics were employed.

Ownership has recently changed and the pressuring employee announced to another customer she's recently moved from California where such things may be the norm.

I know the former owner and he stated he paid his employees $10.00 an hour.

So, in addition to their prices going up, the new management expects customers to subsidize what they're not willing to pay their employees.

I'm a big believer in tipping and doing so generously, but not in this case. I respond poorly to pressure and trying to guilt me as a method of persuasion simply makes me angry.

Thoughts?

P.S. I have a call in for the owner to find out if this is their new policy, to pressure/guilt customers into tipping at the cash register. Could be he doesn't know about it...

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pressured To Tip

Post by cheezit »

my tip would have been " tell your staff to find a better paying job" . i right there with you. i stoped buying pizza and now make my own for the very same reason. sadly my pizza is better and cheeper too.

jmain

Post by jmain »

My repsonse would have been, " I will tip if I see a need to..."
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

Tip= Don't eat yellow snow.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

If they take extra effort with my car I tip. If not I hand them my claim voucher and just say thanks.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

jocat54 wrote:Tip= Don't eat yellow snow.
"Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn."
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Vol Texan wrote:
jocat54 wrote:Tip= Don't eat yellow snow.
"Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn."
Plant your corn early. -- Jed Clampett
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jcubed

Post by Jcubed »

As an owner of a service business where tipping is not customary whenever my team members receive a tip I believe it is because they have performed above and beyond our customer's expectation. Personally, if tipping is customary I will determine the amount by these same guidelines. If tipping is not customary I will give a tip directly to the person who provided the service if they performed above and beyond.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

Before I start this and get flamed, My wife was a waitress for many years. So I know that the waitstaff depends on tips for their income.

We went to a restaurant with some friends (8 people) this past weekend and although there were 3 seperate checks, each check had a 15% gratuity added on. When I asked the waitress about this she stated it was policy for parties of 6 or more. I told her thats okay but that she had just lost out. She looked at me with a puzzeled look and I proceeded to explain that I tip according to the type of service I recieve. I explained that we had a $64.00 check before tip so her tip was $9.60. She said yes sir. I said that I had planned on giving her a $20.00 tip but that since I had already been charged a tip, that was all that she would recieve.

Now I could have given her more but I stand on the principle that you have to earn your tips, not expect or charge for them. Now what if her service had been lousy? I refuse to tip for lousy service.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I would have taken my business elsewhere, assuming that it is feasible to do so.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

Purplehood wrote:I would have taken my business elsewhere, assuming that it is feasible to do so.
Thats fine if you know before services are rendered. However, in my case we has aready eaten the meal before the check was brought.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

"Ponzle's Thistle to place in the third."

That one really gets people to make this kind of face :confused5

(Think horse racing)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

My wife and I are always encouraging our daughter (13) to work hard, study hard because education and hard work are her best options to have a rewarding career. Anytime we receive bad service or a poor attitude from a minimum wage employee at any establishment, I usually turn to her and tell her, that is why you need to graduate college.

One day after being give the wrong order in a drive thru and getting eye's rolled at us when we politely requested they correct their mistake, as we pulled away she says: I have two things I say to high school drop outs: 1. You did your best and 2. I don't want pickles on my burger. "rlol"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RPBrown wrote:Before I start this and get flamed, My wife was a waitress for many years. So I know that the waitstaff depends on tips for their income.

We went to a restaurant with some friends (8 people) this past weekend and although there were 3 separate checks, each check had a 15% gratuity added on. When I asked the waitress about this she stated it was policy for parties of 6 or more. I told her that's okay but that she had just lost out. She looked at me with a puzzled look and I proceeded to explain that I tip according to the type of service I receive. I explained that we had a $64.00 check before tip so her tip was $9.60. She said yes sir. I said that I had planned on giving her a $20.00 tip but that since I had already been charged a tip, that was all that she would receive.

Now I could have given her more but I stand on the principle that you have to earn your tips, not expect or charge for them. Now what if her service had been lousy? I refuse to tip for lousy service.
You DO know the waitress didn't make that policy?
Waitstaff probably get shorted by big parties more often than not....
I'm careful to check my bill and account for any "imposed" tip before tipping extra. In one case the service was so lousy (party of 14) I demanded the tip be reduced.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I agree with RoyGbiv, a large party may run up a big tab, party of 8, $200 is easy, which is at least a $30 tip. A lot of cheapskates will think that is a huge tip, and the waitress gets stiffed. If she had served 4 parties of two, she probably would get maybe $40. I agree with the policy, you can always add more for exceptional service.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”