Concealing counsel

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ATDM
Posts in topic: 6

Concealing counsel

Post by ATDM »

I am getting my license in a about 5 business days, and I am trying to come up with a way to conceal a full size Springfield XDm. I know I can buy a smaller gun, and I will do it, if I have to. However, the XDm is my absolute favorite and, when I use it, it feels more natural than any other gun I have ever shot.

So, I need advice. Here are a few issues: 1) We live in Texas, therefore — T-shirts 9 months a year; 2) I am 5'10" and 155 lbs (used to bee 200, but worked it off last year); 3) The internet research (so far) has not led to any major revelations on the subject.

Do I give up on concealing the XDm for the better part of the year, or is there a way?

Thank you in advance.
I cling to my God — Jesus Christ.
I love my wife and kids.
I am proud to be an American and Texan.
And... I cling to my guns.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealing counsel

Post by jmra »

http://www.kangaroocarry.com/
No personal experience with this device.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Kholster

It's an incredibly comfortable IWB holster. It will hold your weapon tight against your body, but the leather backer keeps the gun itself off of your skin.

Best of all, it only costs $40.00. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

ATDM wrote:I am getting my license in a about 5 business days, and I am trying to come up with a way to conceal a full size Springfield XDm. I know I can buy a smaller gun, and I will do it, if I have to. However, the XDm is my absolute favorite and, when I use it, it feels more natural than any other gun I have ever shot.

So, I need advice. Here are a few issues: 1) We live in Texas, therefore — T-shirts 9 months a year; 2) I am 5'10" and 155 lbs (used to bee 200, but worked it off last year); 3) The internet research (so far) has not led to any major revelations on the subject.

Do I give up on concealing the XDm for the better part of the year, or is there a way?
I can conceal my XD(M) 9mm 5.25" monster quite well... a bit taller, and quite a bit heavier than you, but it can be done.

Look into the Kangaroo carry that was previously mentioned. Also, depending on your barrel length, a deep IWB holster, or one that can be adjusted so that the butt of the pistol rides lower toward your belt, is definitely doable - that's how my I carry my big gun (the XD(M) 5.25") as well as my smaller Walther PPS. My primary choice for IWB holsters is White Hat Holsters in Arlington. Buy Texan! http://www.whitehatholsters.com/

Longer length T-shirts are helpful, as are the slightly thicker good quality T-shirts.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Good belt and IWB holster + Hawaiian shirt + wicking undershirt = Summer comfort

Substitute a Guayabera or bowling shirt for the Hawaiian shirt if you're not good looking. :evil2:
ABIDE

karder

Post by karder »

Concealing a full-size gun is really not difficult. I usually carry a FN FiveseveN with no difficulty. I generally carry in about the 4 o'clock position.

1) A good quality inside the waistband holster is essential in my opinion. I use crossbreed, but there are other good choices. The reason I like IWB holsters for full-size carry is that the barrel won't peak out from your shirt while bending or reaching. They also keep the gun close to the body, which is essential.

2) get a good belt to go with that holster

3) I always wear a t-shirt with a button up shirt over. The t-shirt keeps the gun away from my skin and the 2nd shirt provides the cover. It is not necessarily imperative to wear a second shirt, it is just the way I do it. A full-size gun is going to print more than a small one and may be a little tough to keep completely discreet with just a t-shirt.

You will have to find out what works for you, but you can absolutely carry a full-size concealed gun rather easily. Those small XDs and Shields do make it easy to carry in shorts and a t-shirt though, so you will want to add something smaller to your collection at some point.

Good luck!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Tucker has an IWB for your XDm. I carry a pretty good sized 45 Kimber 1911 in one of these leather lined Secret Strike Kydex holsters from Tucker Gun Leather and it's very comfortable for all day carry. This holster will fit like a glove.

https://store-6a32b.mybigcommerce.com/k ... -gun-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I carry a Glock 23 concealed wearing a pair of slacks and a polo shirt tucked in. I have crossbreed super tuck and also use a simple Galco tuckable holster. The supertuck keeps the weapon tighter against me and I get less movement side to side with it. The Galco is easier to put on so when feeling lazy, the Galco is the choice. Her is a link to the Galco. They are fairly priced and simple. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?P ... atalogID=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just looked at that price... LOL.... Don't order from there. I paid 49 bucks at a local gun shop.

I have carried a full size 1911 the same way in the same type outfit. It's pretty easy to do, once u figure it out. I carry on my side. I have a bud who tried to carry small of back but his wife made fun of him and said he looked like he had a "load" in the back of his pants. Now he is self conscious about it. I tried to get him to realize the average person never notices a lump on us.

That was to answer your full size question. I have a PM9 I carry in a pocket holster and by far is the most comfy form of carry... At least to me anyway.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

Pawpaw wrote:Kholster

It's an incredibly comfortable IWB holster. It will hold your weapon tight against your body, but the leather backer keeps the gun itself off of your skin.

Best of all, it only costs $40.00. :tiphat:
I bought one not long ago and really like it so far.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I carried a full size glock 17 with a DeSantis iwb holster for several months after I first got my license. Once I found the sweet spot (just behind my hip & a steep cant), even the few who know I carry everyday had to take a really good look to tell if I was carrying.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

RJGold
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RJGold »

CompTac MTAC (adjustable ride and cant) plus a good gun belt (CompTac makes a Kydex reinforced belt that works great) plus shirts that are loose enough to "hang" instead of being skin tight (could be t-shirts or button down).

I carry an XDm compact that way (even in shorts and tshirts) and know guys who carry full size XDm or Glocks that way.

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

RJGold
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RJGold »

You may also consider TactiPac Fusion (no cant adjustment but ride depth adjustment). I use this one in athletic shorts or when I wear a thin shirt. They had long deliveries earlier this year so check on delivery before you order. It's a good option though.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I carry a full size XD45 from time to time and my carry method is no different than with one of my 1911's. IWB, "wife beater" undershirt and an over shirt (button up or Tee) one size larger than normal
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

maybe I should buy another kydex for my maxtuck and try to carry my full size XD-45 service! I don't think I could feel safer than having 14 rds plus another 13 in a spare mag..... i'm a small guy though (tallwise anyway 5'7 with boots on) and am about 170-175 most days. has anybody done this that's around my size?
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

ATDM wrote:I am getting my license in a about 5 business days, and I am trying to come up with a way to conceal a full size Springfield XDm. I know I can buy a smaller gun, and I will do it, if I have to. However, the XDm is my absolute favorite and, when I use it, it feels more natural than any other gun I have ever shot.

Thank you in advance.

Get a good holster and a good belt. The belt is the key perhaps more than anything else. A belt designed as a gun belt, with a good holster and worn perhaps a bit tighter than you might be used to will hold the gun up snugly against your body.

A garden variety belt will sag under the weight of the gun, allowing it to stick out and make concealment almost impossible.

Moving up one size on your shirts will probably help too.

I am 5' 11", 175 lb. and carry a Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac CTAC every day with everything from jeans and a t-shirt to a suit.
Byron Dickens

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”