Will you change How you carry after Sept 1.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Will you change How you carry after Sept 1.

Post by cb1000rider »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:The arresting officers were already ignorant of the law.
They were not ignorant of the law. They arrested him for "intentionally" displaying the weapon, which indicates they knew exactly what the law was.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

cb1000rider wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:The arresting officers were already ignorant of the law.
They were not ignorant of the law. They arrested him for "intentionally" displaying the weapon, which indicates they knew exactly what the law was.
OK... thats just er strange...

Pecos
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pecos »

Im not changing carry method. I carry my Glock 22 OWB on my left hip (Left Handed) in a Safarriland 8151 concealment paddle holster. It rides higher & hugs my side. It conceals really well for me. Also comfortable when sitting & through out the day. Nice to know we will have a little room for minor error though! :tiphat:
I think the new Sept 1st laws are going to be good for us. :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

filmtex
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Southwest of Austin generally, Southeast of Dallas occasionally, Israel annually.

Post by filmtex »

MoJo wrote: Winter time, I'm told it will be the week of Jan 5 this year, isn't a problem.
Now that's funny! ANd sad. I was hoping for at least two weeks this year. Oh well, whatcha gonna do? BTW-no change here for me-IWB as always, just clad to have a little more wiggle room I guess.
"Come and take it."

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Nope. No changes for me. I am comfortable wearing an IWB and it has always concealed well.

Texas1999

Post by Texas1999 »

Pecos wrote:Im not changing carry method. I carry my Glock 22 OWB on my left hip (Left Handed) in a Safarriland 8151 concealment paddle holster. It rides higher & hugs my side. It conceals really well for me. Also comfortable when sitting & through out the day. Nice to know we will have a little room for minor error though! :tiphat:
Do you mean the 5181 holster? I also carry a G22 and am trying to find an OWB holster that will still allow me to conceal the weapon well enough. IWB is too uncomfortable for me.
Glock 22 Gen 3

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Texas1999 wrote: Do you mean the 5181 holster? I also carry a G22 and am trying to find an OWB holster that will still allow me to conceal the weapon well enough. IWB is too uncomfortable for me.
Why is IWB too uncomfortable? It may just be your carry rig. While you do need about an extra inch in the waist of your pants, a good quality holster and belt will usually make IWB much more comfortable. Try a holster like a Crossbreed Supertuck or Galco King Tuck and a good heavy and stiff belt. Makes all the difference in the world.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Texas1999 wrote:
Pecos wrote:Im not changing carry method. I carry my Glock 22 OWB on my left hip (Left Handed) in a Safarriland 8151 concealment paddle holster. It rides higher & hugs my side. It conceals really well for me. Also comfortable when sitting & through out the day. Nice to know we will have a little room for minor error though! :tiphat:
Do you mean the 5181 holster? I also carry a G22 and am trying to find an OWB holster that will still allow me to conceal the weapon well enough. IWB is too uncomfortable for me.
Yes the 5181 (Sorry about that) It is a hi rise paddle holster that clips over the belt. It is leather felt lined to protect gun finish & molded for the gun.
I got mine from cops-plus. But what works for me may not work for you.
I also have this holster Safariland 6378 ALS Concealment Paddle Holster I like the both. This one has an als retension lock thats easy to use.
They both conceal well but the 5181 conceals best for me. Go online & read about them. Amazon or Cops-Plus. I think Cop-Plus gives a 10% discount for NRA membors on some items. These are the only paddle hosters I have because they conceal well. cheap paddle holster hang out too far.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

They both come in Left or right hand. Im left handed.
Im a real wierdo!!! I love carrying a full size gun. The Glock 22 Gen 4 or the Glock 17 Gen 4 they both fit the same holster ( Have both these guns).
I wear a size larger shirt & sometime a Maasd Ayoob (Shoot me First) vest!!!! :smilelol5:

Texas1999

Post by Texas1999 »

I went ahead and bought the 5181 on Grabagun.com since they had it for only $33 and I can pick it up locally in Coppell at their store. Figured it's only 33 bucks, might as well give it a try.

I currently carry IWB with a Comp-Tac MTAC and while it's usually not too uncomfortable, it makes the grip of my gun dig into either my kidney or my hip and ribs when I'm seated in the car. I've tried just about every configuration but due to the size of my G22 there always seems to be something poking into me somewhere! I'll see if the 5181 suits me better.
Glock 22 Gen 3

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

texanjoker wrote:
Keith B wrote:
docbrazos wrote:
Senate Bill 299 adds a more clear meaning for “intentional failure to conceal” and protects against charges of unlawful carry for the inadvertent or accidental display of a handgun.
All the years I've had my Texas CHL ( since Day 1) I've busted tail to conceal my handgun. Inside the pants was the only way I could be 100% sure of not "printing" or being outed. With the new change I've decided I may be able to go On the outside. Any one else going to change how they carry after Sept 1st?
Nope. The rules on concealing did not change, and neither will my methods. I have always carried to properly conceal and that is the way I will continue to do it.
:iagree:

Ditto..
:iagree: nothing changed.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

SherwoodForest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SherwoodForest »

NO. I don't envision making any changes to my Texas IWB carry manner.

My personal take is that -

The new wording of 46.035(a) defines the offense committed on or after 09/01/2013. Therefore our long-enduring " friend" of the past 17 years ( "...intentionally fails to conceal..." ) no longer needs to be addressed after Sunday.

"DISPLAYS" is going to be our new "friend" for the foreseeable future.

The " DISPLAYS " part constitutes only 1/3 of the offense. A public DISPLAY must be produced that is "IN PLAIN VIEW" as evidenced by the casual observation of that display by "ANOTHER PERSON".

A difference without a distinction, or.........time will tell.

I can see some significant distinctions. As for Texas LEO's............? The more things change...the more they stay the same.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 10

Post by cb1000rider »

Keith B wrote:
Texas1999 wrote: Why is IWB too uncomfortable?
IWB for me tends to go around to my back. It's uncomfortable in the car.
IWB at 3 o'clock is less comfortable than OWB at 3 o'clock, but they are the same in the car.
I've got a tactical belt. OWB holdster is one of those saddle deals. IWB is a different design.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Texas1999 wrote:I went ahead and bought the 5181 on Grabagun.com since they had it for only $33 and I can pick it up locally in Coppell at their store. Figured it's only 33 bucks, might as well give it a try.

I currently carry IWB with a Comp-Tac MTAC and while it's usually not too uncomfortable, it makes the grip of my gun dig into either my kidney or my hip and ribs when I'm seated in the car. I've tried just about every configuration but due to the size of my G22 there always seems to be something poking into me somewhere! I'll see if the 5181 suits me better.

Let me know how you like it. I use a paddle because My gun goes off & on at work. I like the 5181 best. you can tighten the tension. I also like the suade lining inside. It's a leather holster molded for you gun. Hope you like it. It may not be for everyone but worth a try!! :cheers2:

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:I won't change how I conceal my handgun.

However, I will change where I draw that proverbial line in the sand between drawing and not drawing my handgun, now that the legal standard has been changed. To avoid being charged with failure to conceal used to require that I was justified in using deadly force. Now the legal standard is I am justified in using ordinary force.

Big difference.
Yes it is, and an important one too. :thumbs2:

I'm pretty sure I understand the difference here, but could you guys elaborate just a tiny bit so that I am sure I'm on the same page?

Thanks,
Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”