What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

Post by Keith B »

A good fried's son is getting ready to get out of hte Army. He went down to start paperwork on his discharge and there was no one in the office. He is now stuck in the Army.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Keith B wrote:A good fried's son is getting ready to get out of hte Army. He went down to start paperwork on his discharge and there was no one in the office. He is now stuck in the Army.
At least he's getting paid. :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
Good news? Additional deficit reduction. :mrgreen:
This is interesting since in our furlough letter it stated that working during the furlough, either in the office, at home, or at the coffee shop, will be reason for adverse action or dismissal. And it will get your supervisor a letter of reprimand since he obviously didn't explain the rules well enough. We were required to leave laptops and blackberries at work.
Different agency, different rules perhaps?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

StewNTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by StewNTexas »

I will be very surprised if the people now not being paid are not paid as soon as the government opens for business. This has happened before, and everyone gets a check to cover the time they were 'off'.

Kinda like a paid vacation.

Time (hopefully a short time) will tell. I would guess it is probably around a 99% chance this will happen.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Listened to Mark Levin's rant this evening. I had to chuckle, he was so fired up. He said they were threatening to arrest some of the vets. He said he'd bring half a million people to march on Washington if they dared. I don't think I've ever heard him so fired up! It was stupid to barricade it up. Its an open air memorial. That was done for special effects, just like the Sequester release of masses of illegal immigrants.

Some people are considered mission essential in military civilian staff Also. A friend is a secretary to a commander, she is exempt. I was surprised since, they usually put an active duty person to fill in.

Our commissary was open yesterday. They told the cashiers they had to work, but would not get paid until after the gov. Reopens. If they refused they would get fired. I tipped the bagger extra because they are mostly retirees and they won't get tips if the commi. Is closed.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

RoyGBiv wrote:
jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
This is interesting since in our furlough letter it stated that working during the furlough, either in the office, at home, or at the coffee shop, will be reason for adverse action or dismissal. And it will get your supervisor a letter of reprimand since he obviously didn't explain the rules well enough. We were required to leave laptops and blackberries at work.
Shouldn't be since the directive comes from the Office of Personnel Manager and Federal law. I'm just wondering if they are "essential personnel". Those are working but not getting paid *until* the furlough is lifted, then they'll collect all the pay due.

Course, if the congress votes to pay salaries for those furloughed this kinda screws them.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oohrah wrote:I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

535 putzes in DC - I blame all of them.
534 putzes. Cruz announced the other day that he would be refusing his salary or donating it to charity until the shutdown is over.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... -shutdown/

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... o-charity/

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/g ... 97663.html
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Then the idiots that caused this still get their paychecks

my son works for l3 out at waco....they already hit the slow down button, less hours but still working

for us its going to be tight come nov 1st if the nutts still are acting like two year olds

navy retired checks will stop
VA compensation stops, but medical will still be available
they really put the screws to you if your disabled
ss checks still go out, but ssid will get cut off

but we plan for rainy days and stock up on beanie weenies :biggrinjester:
i just cant beleive harry ried is so obtuse about everything, why does congress get a pass on the affordable health care act?

i get a kick out the postal thing, they are their own entity so they should still be delivering
irs scaled back is great
but our emails are still being searched, most of them are active duty anyways
we should shutter airforce one and all the vacations shelley takes
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

powerboatr wrote:

Then the idiots that caused this still get their paychecks

my son works for l3 out at waco....they already hit the slow down button, less hours but still working

for us its going to be tight come nov 1st if the nutts still are acting like two year olds

navy retired checks will stop
VA compensation stops, but medical will still be available
they really put the screws to you if your disabled
ss checks still go out, but ssid will get cut off

but we plan for rainy days and stock up on beanie weenies :biggrinjester:
i just cant beleive harry ried is so obtuse about everything, why does congress get a pass on the affordable health care act?

i get a kick out the postal thing, they are their own entity so they should still be delivering
irs scaled back is great
but our emails are still being searched, most of them are active duty anyways
we should shutter airforce one and all the vacations shelley takes
I was at the commissary yesterday before it closed down today, good thing you got your beanie wienies cuz the Vienna sausages were gone! And so were many shelves of goods. I'm right there with you! I stocked up on Ramen bowls. The kids love 'em. ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Shouldn't be since the directive comes from the Office of Personnel Manager and Federal law. I'm just wondering if they are "essential personnel". Those are working but not getting paid *until* the furlough is lifted, then they'll collect all the pay due.

Course, if the congress votes to pay salaries for those furloughed this kinda screws them.
My son in law is an investigator for ICE. He has to continue to work and does not get paid. He has been informed by letter that (and I am not quoting here) when this is over, they will receive back pay but that it will be added over the course of several paychecks. At least my daughter is working so they are not destitute but we have offered to help them out if it gets bad.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

NICS for purchases is apparently down. My gf's father attempted to buy a firearm in Houston and was told that they can only sell to CHLs due to the shutdown.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

update for active duty
your going to keep on getting paid
Military retirees and annuitants are not paid from Continuing Resolution Act (CRA) appropriations. Therefore, your payments are not affected by this shutdown.

I guess they snuck that in a few months back.
good for me and active duty.

i feel for those who are told to come to work and we will pay you later....omg crazy is not even close to the logic

lets pray it comes to a fix quick
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

oohrah wrote:I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

Leftists sure love to lie about this stuff. When the .gov reopens, guess what. They get all the pay for the time they were supposedly not getting paid.
Byron Dickens

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bdickens wrote:

Leftists sure love to lie about this stuff. When the .gov reopens, guess what. They get all the pay for the time they were supposedly not getting paid.
.....whether or not they worked......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

MotherBear wrote:But why can't people look at fountains, statues and walls?
It makes complete sense when you realize it's not about saving taxpayer money. It's a power play.
StewNTexas wrote:I will be very surprised if the people now not being paid are not paid as soon as the government opens for business. This has happened before, and everyone gets a check to cover the time they were 'off'.

Kinda like a paid vacation.
Very much like a paid vacation, except I don't think it counts against their vacation balance.

When a business shuts down temporarily because of cost cutting, the factory workers often don't get paid for the involuntary time off. Paying the government workers who didn't work is proof positive the shutdown is not about saving money. It's about a childish President throwing a tantrum to pressure adults to give the spoiled brat what he wants.

Return to “Off-Topic”