Anti-Spyware and VISTA

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Anti-Spyware and VISTA

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

Im looking for suggestions for Anti-Spyware software that run on VISTA for the kid's laptop.

I use ZoneAlarm on my laptop. I also use AVG. But, alas, neither has a VISTA version out yet.

I found that Computer Associates (CA) has a version. However all the reviews say its junk-- crashes, difficult to uninstall ect.

Suggestions ??

Jason73

Post by Jason73 »

check out http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/home-user/index.html , their A/V and antispyware software are certified for Windows Vista.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Spybot Search and Destroy has a Vista version http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

http://www.activescan.com for the periodic clean out.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

dlcrouch

Post by dlcrouch »

i'm running an eval copy of Norton and it seems pretty solid. I tried the beta version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but found it really buggy.

Velocity

Re: Anti-Spyware and VISTA

Post by Velocity »

Piney wrote:Greetings--

Im looking for suggestions for Anti-Spyware software that run on VISTA for the kid's laptop.

I use ZoneAlarm on my laptop. I also use AVG. But, alas, neither has a VISTA version out yet.

I found that Computer Associates (CA) has a version. However all the reviews say its junk-- crashes, difficult to uninstall ect.

Suggestions ??
Keep in mind that Microsoft included a decent anti-spyware software product directly in Vista - Microsoft Defender. Go to Start then type defender in the search box to get to it.

Note that defender is anti-apyware ONLY, not anti-virus. The above suggestions would be good for AV. You'll typically want both. ;-)

64zebra

Post by 64zebra »

my company has seen anti-x products supposedly certified for vista, and still have all kinds of problems; we don't think its the product's fault but Vista's....we've had loads of computers with vista and none operating properly

as for Norton, I avoid all of their products like the plague, way too many problems with them

Personally I won't be trying Vista on a machine for at least another 6 months or until the first service pack is out.

If I find any anti-x products that actually perform correctly on vista I'll sure post them here.
LEO/CHL Certified Glock Armorer
Guns: not enough space here, but G17 duty/G30 off/S&W 642 BU
Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
If loose gun laws are good for criminals, why do criminals support gun control?

ForbidInjustice

Post by ForbidInjustice »

I beta tested Vista for 18 months or so, and am now running Ultimate. No issues so far with compatibility. I normally right click and override everything to run in another compatibility mode.

I'm definitely not a fan of anti-virus software, because it normally does more damage than good [imagine that?]

Velocity was right on. Windows Defender is actually pretty good, and it will update itself to keep up with the latest spyware definitions. Webroot's SpySweeper has also proven to be great. I used it religiously on XP.

Depending on your kid's age, I would recommend to set the parental controls on the browser to moderately high, and manually enter sites and/or wildcards to filter some more known sites that you don't want him/her to visit. Spyware is the biggest problem nowadays. Good [aka bad] viruses aren't as prevalent as they used to be. People are just out to make money!

That was an old thread, but I hope you got the information you were looking for.
- Dre
- Fort Hood, Texas
- http://www.dhs.gov

Where two discourse, if the one's anger rise, the man who lets the contest fall is wise.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”