Frost bank robbery on 10/10/2013

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 4

Frost bank robbery on 10/10/2013

Post by TREKFAN »

http://www.kens5.com/news/crime/SAPD-Ro ... 80271.html

This one hits really close to home. I know the employees personally but can't give any more details in how I know them.
A Hispanic male about 40 years of age robbed the frost bank at 11900 blanco road, right across the street from Churchill in San Antonio.

So here's what happened, teller from the back (motor bank) leaves the back, then goes through a second set of doors to access the lobby teller line. he informs the customer he called over to help that he will have to go to the back to process his transaction (I don't know what kind of transaction). Once the teller goes through the first door, the robber jumps the counter and firmly presses his hand against the tellers back to inform him of the situation . They both walk to the next door and arrive in the motor bank area. The robber I think hand the teller a note and holds a bag out. The teller complied and gave him the money.
The odd thing though is that the guy was acting weird, spouting off about how it was Gods will and some other whatnot ... He also said he didn't want to have to hurt anyone right before that. I'm thinking he either is crazy or desperate.
So after the robber gets the money, only from one teller oddly (he passed up a teller who had money but who was female), he just walks out from what I heard.

Here is where the really odd info starts to come out. Apparently he robbed a Valero down the street, 30 minutes later robbed the bank, then went and sat down to eat fried chicken!! KFC is right next door to us practically so I'm guessing it was there.

He has not been caught as far as I know but the police know who he is I was told or have a good idea of who it is.
Thank The Lord no one was hurt and everyone is safe!! :thumbs2:
All in all no one was hurt and that's the best part! I'm just happy everyone is safe . Great job and kudos to the bank employes for remaining calm and cool in this very scary situation for the,.

I got to thinking though, what if I had gotten there just a bit sooner and was carrying? I thought to myself, when would I get involved if at all? Just because I have a CHL doesn't give me anymore authority than the person standing next to me. But I came to the conclusion that if no weapon was visible, and no one was hurt, I wouldn't interfere . The money is insured so why try to be a hero and risk escalating the situation? Robbers want to leave more than bank personal and customers want them to. It's why I always tell my friends who might be robbed at any job to NEVER press the panic button Neil they leave. If the police get there before they leave, you just took away their incentive to leave and created a wanting to stay, thus a hostage situation.

I don't know, what are y'all's thoughts?
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

Shoot_First
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Frost bank robbery on 10/10/2013

Post by Shoot_First »

OK
Last edited by Shoot_First on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

It's very easy to ask oneself what he would have done after the incident has finished and it's on the 9 o'clock news for all to weigh in on and dissect.
One does not know the outcome during the event so to just stand their and do nothing should never cross ones mind as an option during a violent incident. What you don't know is if the guy is going to start killing bank tellers and everyone in the bank or not. Nobody knows the ending until it's over.
III

Topic author
TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

rbwhatever1 wrote:It's very easy to ask oneself what he would have done after the incident has finished and it's on the 9 o'clock news for all to weigh in on and dissect.
One does not know the outcome during the event so to just stand their and do nothing should never cross ones mind as an option during a violent incident. What you don't know is if the guy is going to start killing bank tellers and everyone in the bank or not. Nobody knows the ending until it's over.
I agree, however, he wasn't being violent. Didn't even brandish a weapon of any sort.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

No weapon means no weapon from me. If I could help at all it'd be to administer a whoopin.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I believe "Robbery" is classified as a Violent Crime armed or not since one is "forcibly" removing ones property from ones immediate possession with the threat of Violence. If not it should be because it is.

Any Lawyers out there? Ha! Some of you are saying yes, way too many...
III

Topic author
TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:No weapon means no weapon from me. If I could help at all it'd be to administer a whoopin.
Exactly what I was thinking, with the exception that I have. Physical disabilities so no butt whooping from me.

Topic author
TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

rbwhatever1 wrote:I believe "Robbery" is classified as a Violent Crime armed or not since one is "forcibly" removing ones property from ones immediate possession with the threat of Violence. If not it should be because it is.

Any Lawyers out there? Ha! Some of you are saying yes, way too many...
:smilelol5: I was just thinking that. I think you are correct on the classification of robbery.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Not a lawyer, but familiar with copy and paste.
CHAPTER 29. ROBBERY

Sec. 29.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "In the course of committing theft" means conduct that occurs in an attempt to commit, during the commission, or in immediate flight after the attempt or commission of theft.

(2) "Property" means:

(A) tangible or intangible personal property including anything severed from land; or

(B) a document, including money, that represents or embodies anything of value.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 29.02. ROBBERY . (a) A person commits an offense if, in the course of committing theft as defined in Chapter 31 and with intent to obtain or maintain control of the property, he:

(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another; or

(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens or places another in fear of imminent bodily injury or death.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 29.03. AGGRAVATED ROBBERY. (a) A person commits an offense if he commits [Previous Hit] robbery [Next Hit] as defined in Section 29.02, and he:

(1) causes serious bodily injury to another;

(2) uses or exhibits a deadly weapon; or

(3) causes bodily injury to another person or threatens or places another person in fear of imminent bodily injury or death, if the other person is:

(A) 65 years of age or older; or

(B) a disabled person.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.

(c) In this section, "disabled person" means an individual with a mental, physical, or developmental disability who is substantially unable to protect himself from harm.
Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
USAF 1982-2005

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Nobody getting hurt? If I was there as a customer I would try my hardest to stay out of it. "most" of the time they "say" they have a weapon they don't, but you never know and must assume they do. I worry more about being in a take over robbery where they are shooting into the air, ect.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Why would anyone hand over the bank's money but for a threat of force or fear? It is either conditional (give me the money and nobody gets hurt!) or absolute (I've got a gun. Give me the money!)

I've not been in one of these situations but I have the impression that they are seldom unambiguous. Either you are present without being aware of the whole scenario, or the events are going on outside of your immediate presence so you have a hard time reacting to the situation in real time.

Maybe the best approach is to be a good witness but get ready to act immediately if you can do so without attracting attention.

If you do see a gun/knife, do you immediately aim and holler, "Drop it, hombre!", or just shoot the robber right away without warning?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

That must be truly exceptional fried chicken.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

My thinking has always been that I will not be the one to start a gunfight in a place of business.
I'll be a good witness, stay outta the way, and be prepared to adapt to a changing situation.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

jmra

Post by jmra »

bulinm wrote:My thinking has always been that I will not be the one to start a gunfight in a place of business.
I'll be a good witness, stay outta the way, and be prepared to adapt to a changing situation.
:iagree: going to do my best wallpaper impersonation.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Weird that he was that close to the scene of the robberies for that long...I would hope that police response didn't take so long he had time to stop for a bite ...

Return to “The Crime Blotter”