Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

Post by G.A. Heath »

I found a youtube video of the arrests, sadly I can't post it due to the language in it. I will say that while the cops may have been in the wrong a few times, the crowd was pretty much in the wrong the entire time the video was going. When each arrest happened the crowd almost started a riot each time. The name throwing and all just made it worse. These are the people (and type of people) that have kept the OC effort from really making progress.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

G.A. Heath wrote:I found a youtube video of the arrests, sadly I can't post it due to the language in it. I will say that while the cops may have been in the wrong a few times, the crowd was pretty much in the wrong the entire time the video was going. When each arrest happened the crowd almost started a riot each time. The name throwing and all just made it worse. These are the people (and type of people) that have kept the OC effort from really making progress.
Post a link perhaps? or send it via PM..

I did a search and so far have not found this recent event.

Thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Blindref757 »

Open Carry Texas has a YouTube channel. You can go check it out for yourself. There are 2 videos of this event with some really foul language...and there is one that isn't rated R. One protestor is making it hard on everyone. He may not even be a part of the OCT organization...just a hippie who thinks The Man is keeping him down.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

FWIW...OCT Just posted this on their FB account. Maybe some people should cut them some slack because it appears that the leaders of this group are sincere and want things done with dignity.

During events such as the arrest at the capital grounds, we ask all members to remain civil and decent within confines of normal society. Obscenities and personal insults from bystanders (OCT or not) only distances the gap between citizen and LEO. Once the handcuffs are out we must look towards the courts to provide justice. First step in that process is providing good video evidence of the illegal arrest being made. Screaming and crowding diminish the ability of us to provide that.

We know these are difficult moments where emotions run high. This is a learning process for everyone and we must grow together.

Thank you for your ongoing support,

Robert Sneed, Public Affairs

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 6

Post by G.A. Heath »

Blindref757 wrote:FWIW...OCT Just posted this on their FB account. Maybe some people should cut them some slack because it appears that the leaders of this group are sincere and want things done with dignity.

During events such as the arrest at the capital grounds, we ask all members to remain civil and decent within confines of normal society. Obscenities and personal insults from bystanders (OCT or not) only distances the gap between citizen and LEO. Once the handcuffs are out we must look towards the courts to provide justice. First step in that process is providing good video evidence of the illegal arrest being made. Screaming and crowding diminish the ability of us to provide that.

We know these are difficult moments where emotions run high. This is a learning process for everyone and we must grow together.

Thank you for your ongoing support,

Robert Sneed, Public Affairs
Yet I think it was CJ Grisham (The president of OCT if I am not mistaken) who was sitting in the road trying to prevent the transportation of the two who were arrested. If his ankle was injured as he claimed in the video when asked/told to move he would have requested assistance in doing so from the crowd or even the officers. On top of that you never see anyone with OCT trying to reign in the crowd, which if you have any experience putting on a demonstration you know that you have to control your own people before they have the chance to get out of hand.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I sometimes wonder if these sort of displays/shows/events are put on/encouraged/sponsored, etc. by some anti-gun liberals to show the television/newspaper world how stupid and irresponsible some, and by inference all, gun owners are? :roll:

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Oldgringo wrote:I sometimes wonder if these sort of displays/shows/events are put on/encouraged/sponsored, etc. by some anti-gun liberals to show the television/newspaper world how stupid and irresponsible some, and by inference all, gun owners are? :roll:
I sure hope not, but you've got a valid point there.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

LOL They go to make a statement, then cry when they get arrested "rlol" . I like the guys comment about making a "bigger show of it." They wanted the show and got it. They better hope those guns were really exempt. No way for the leo's to know that w/o them cooperating. I am actually surprised that they allowed that many to act out. The TX OC guys lost any respect I may have had for them. Then they keep following the troopers? They should have hooked a few of them up. I'm sure somebody in that crowd was offended by their profanity.

o b juan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by o b juan »

"One day these fools are going to get us all backed into a corner that we are going to be forced to fight our way out of."
quote from someone with a brain

I agree they are fools, wannabeez and would be cowboys..

they should go play cowboys and indians like when they were children :banghead: :banghead:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

SherwoodForest
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SherwoodForest »

The "open carry" of replica & pre 1899 cap & ball revolvers IS NOT ILLEGAL IN TEXAS... but......apparently..

...... in Travis County the RIGHT to peacefully assemble in a public place ( the Texas Capitol ), and exercise the RIGHT of lawful and peaceful expression of THAT MESSAGE .....is not "LIKED" ..by the Travis County DA's office.

Whether we're protagonists or antagonists of "open carry".......everyone here should be pro CARRY, and pro 1st Amendment.

The charges under 30.05 for criminal trespass were predicated upon the issuance of orders in support of the suppression of lawful expression of a message that "somebody" didn't want Texans to hear. This constitutes clear violation of civil rights.

We keep hearing this sky is falling cry when actually the sky has been grinding the right to carry of Texans into the dirt since 1871. Finally some every citizens are fed up, and are doing something about it.

Pathetic .....when the best we can come up with is criticisms of some strong language used in response to unlawful actions by the LE authorities. Seriously ...?

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

SherwoodForest wrote:The "open carry" of replica & pre 1899 cap & ball revolvers IS NOT ILLEGAL IN TEXAS... but......apparently..

...... in Travis County the RIGHT to peacefully assemble in a public place ( the Texas Capitol ), and exercise the RIGHT of lawful and peaceful expression of THAT MESSAGE .....is not "LIKED" ..by the Travis County DA's office.

Whether we're protagonists or antagonists of "open carry".......everyone here should be pro CARRY, and pro 1st Amendment.

The charges under 30.05 for criminal trespass were predicated upon the issuance of orders in support of the suppression of lawful expression of a message that "somebody" didn't want Texans to hear. This constitutes clear violation of civil rights.

We keep hearing this sky is falling cry when actually the sky has been grinding the right to carry of Texans into the dirt since 1871. Finally some every citizens are fed up, and are doing something about it.

Pathetic .....when the best we can come up with is criticisms of some strong language used in response to unlawful actions by the LE authorities. Seriously ...?

They can protest all they want. They lost me in how they did it. Instead of being uncooperative, why not show that the gun is actually a pre 1899 or replica? There is no way to know that in what transpired. Even if that results in the arrest THEY CLEARLY wanted, so be it. They wouldn't loose peoples respect. Instead they were uncooperative, one even covering his ears like a two year old. The crowd went nuts with insults, ect. That was pretty embarrassing to think of the all tourists having to hear that crowd. Even after the fact some of the crowd followed the troopers still cursing at them. I am surprised at the great restraint DPS showed in not arresting more of them. Now they are advertising a protest at DPS headquarters in December. That should be interesting err entertaining. :clapping:

cw3van
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cw3van »

Mr. Cotton & many others have worked for years to get us where we're at concerning our right to carry. If these folks are not very careful they will send our CHL program along with gun rights back years. Not for sure who's leading this bunch but in my humble opinion they're not helping us at all. :txflag:
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

I suspect that the vast majority of posters on this forum are pro-carry and pro-1st Amendment.

I also suspect that a substantial population of that majority would disagree with the methodology being demonstrated in Austin. We agree on the goal, just not the means to attaining it.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

Purplehood wrote:
I suspect that the vast majority of posters on this forum are pro-carry and pro-1st Amendment.

I also suspect that a substantial population of that majority would disagree with the methodology being demonstrated in Austin. We agree on the goal, just not the means to attaining it.
:hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :hurry:

:tiphat: What he said, and much nicer than what i typed and erased :totap:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”