Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Two arrested at Austin Capitol during open carry rally

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

These arrests were on KHOU Ch. 11 TV news last night and it was noted that they were given the opportunity to leave and refused. These tactics will not pass open-carry. They are more likely to result in the definition of "firearms" being amended to include all firearms, regardless of age, propellant or ignition system.

Chas.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

More trolling at the capital and everyone has their Iphone camera rolling.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

In addition to lobbying, etc. if you want to physically march, why not just bring a sign and an empty holster? Your point is made but no one gets arrested and no one gets freaked out. Besides if you're carrying a cap and ball, how are you protesting the law? Aren't you(the general you) just skirting the law trying to be sneaky? :confused5

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

IMHO, both sides handled this poorly. The protesters obviously wanted a confrontation; they used a method that guaranteed it, in fact. However, law enforcement played right into their hands, creating a scene that made the protesters' actions appear as civil disobedience. It would seem a more prudent course of action would have been to keep the protest contained and let them talk all they want; eventually they would get tired and leave.

SherwoodForest
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SherwoodForest »

Perhaps what can be easily overlooked amid this grass-roots activism availing itself of THE LAW regarding pre-1899 BP revolvers and long guns is that this is not happening within a vacuum.

Texas law 46.02(a) classifying ANY manner of handgun carry as a criminal offense , subject only to statutory specified exceptions, is on an inevitable collision course with Heller/McDonald.

Again - I'm going to stress - this isn't about THE LAW. These activists are not violating Texas law.

They are ANNOYING State officials - by using Texas law to get a message out. THAT is the rub.

Either THE LAW means something - or it doesn't ( if "somebody" doesn't like the law).

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasCajun »

So other than a bunch of incendiary YouTube videos, what had the open carry movement actually accomplished with all of this nonsense????
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

K.Mooneyham wrote:IMHO, both sides handled this poorly. The protesters obviously wanted a confrontation; they used a method that guaranteed it, in fact. However, law enforcement played right into their hands, creating a scene that made the protesters' actions appear as civil disobedience. It would seem a more prudent course of action would have been to keep the protest contained and let them talk all they want; eventually they would get tired and leave.
You may well be right, but there is no political downside for law enforcement, while there is for the protesters. They lose, their cause loses, and the definition of "firearms" will very possibly be changed. That's the reality of the situation.

Chas.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

one interesting thing I noticed....last night our CBS affiliate, KENS5, ran an article about this incident and they seemed to sort of push the point that the group insisted the guns did not meet the definition to be illegal. maybe it was just me, but it was very easy to come away from the article with a bad feeling about the DPS....(although the group's screaming didn't help their cause, but that's a pet peeve of mine.)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

SherwoodForest wrote:Perhaps what can be easily overlooked amid this grass-roots activism availing itself of THE LAW regarding pre-1899 BP revolvers and long guns is that this is not happening within a vacuum.

Texas law 46.02(a) classifying ANY manner of handgun carry as a criminal offense , subject only to statutory specified exceptions, is on an inevitable collision course with Heller/McDonald.

Again - I'm going to stress - this isn't about THE LAW. These activists are not violating Texas law.

They are ANNOYING State officials - by using Texas law to get a message out. THAT is the rub.

Either THE LAW means something - or it doesn't ( if "somebody" doesn't like the law).
In your face tactics FAIL yet again.

That should be the headline.

Officer: Sir, open carry of a handgun is illegal IAW PC xyz.
Intentional Antagonist: It's not a handgun, you can't even ask me for ID as I've done nothing illegal.
Officer: Sir, you appear to be carrying a handgun, in violation of PC xyz. It may not be, but as I'm not an antiques expert I have no way of confirming it is not a handgun under texas law, and therefore illegal to be openly carried.
Intentional Antagonist: It not handgun because I say it is, and there for you have no right to stop me (insert picture of Intentional Antagonist sticking his tongue out and making the pffffft sound)
Officer: Sir, I'll give you the benefit of doubt, as it does look old to me, please depart the area with the handgun now.
Intentional Antagonist: It not handgun because I say it is, and there for you have no right to stop me (insert picture of Intentional Antagonist sticking his tongue out and making the pffffft sound)
Officer: Yes sir, very well, you are now under arrest.

Minds changed in this encounter ZERO.
Anyone connected to legal firearm ownership now associated to Mr in your face Intentional Antagonist: Everyone one of us.

Thanks for nothing. :mad5
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

texanjoker wrote:LOL They go to make a statement, then cry when they get arrested "rlol" . I like the guys comment about making a "bigger show of it." They wanted the show and got it. They better hope those guns were really exempt. No way for the leo's to know that w/o them cooperating.
LOL. If they can't tell the difference between a cap and ball revolver and a handgun that uses "rim fire or center fire ammunition" maybe they shouldn't be enforcing gun laws in Texas. It sounds like something you expect from California. "rlol"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

bizarrenormality wrote: LOL. If they can't tell the difference between a cap and ball revolver and a handgun that uses "rim fire or center fire ammunition" maybe they shouldn't be enforcing gun laws in Texas. It sounds like something you expect from California. "rlol"
Is that part of the TCLEOSE training and certification?
Are you an expert on everything about everything and anything that there is a law restricting?

In your face tactics FAIL yet again.
No minds were changed.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

E.Marquez wrote:Are you an expert on everything about everything and anything that there is a law restricting?
I'm competent in my chosen profession. It's sad if that's too high a bar for some people.
Last edited by bizarrenormality on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SherwoodForest
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SherwoodForest »

1845 Texas Constitutional convention delegate one Mr. Oglethree offered the proposition that.............."No person in a civilized democratic society should need to go armed against his fellow citizens." So true. Only one little caveat......."civilized"... yeah ...right.......

Ain't there yet are we....?

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

bizarrenormality wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:Are you an expert on everything about everything and anything that there is a law restricting?
I'm competent in my chosen profession. It's sad if that's too high a bar for some people.
That's what I thought.. you have higher requirements for others then you do yourself.

If you are an expert in all you do professionally (profession in a same technical varierd as LEO) you are truly above your peers.

If you're an expert in flipping burgers ... or some other non highly technical profession.. it's not really germane to the discussion.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

bizarrenormality wrote:
texanjoker wrote:LOL They go to make a statement, then cry when they get arrested "rlol" . I like the guys comment about making a "bigger show of it." They wanted the show and got it. They better hope those guns were really exempt. No way for the leo's to know that w/o them cooperating.
LOL. If they can't tell the difference between a cap and ball revolver and a handgun that uses "rim fire or center fire ammunition" maybe they shouldn't be enforcing gun laws in Texas. It sounds like something you expect from California. "rlol"
I don't know about you, but in the video I saw I couldn't tell what they were carrying aside from a pistol in a holster. Maybe in real life it was clear to see what they had, but I couldn't tell via the net. Simple cooperation would have gone a long way. BTW nice try about CA :woohoo

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”