A question for Charles Cotton

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baboon
Posts in topic: 4

A question for Charles Cotton

Post by baboon »

Could help but notice your on the NRA ballot. My question What is your stance on the ownership of weapons covered under the NFA?

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A question for Charles Cotton

Post by Jumping Frog »

Not trying to speak for him, but I have noticed in his posts over the years he consistently supports liberty.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I am not trying to speak for Charles either, but if you asked me the same question I would ask for you to be more specific.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
baboon

Post by baboon »

WildBill wrote:I am not trying to speak for Charles either, but if you asked me the same question I would ask for you to be more specific.
NFA controlled items include suppressors, machine guns, RDIAS, lighting links, machine gun sears, short barreled shot guns, short barreled rifles, AOW & destructive devices. And I'm talking about ones that are registered with BATFE, not illegal items.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baboon wrote:
WildBill wrote:I am not trying to speak for Charles either, but if you asked me the same question I would ask for you to be more specific.
NFA controlled items include suppressors, machine guns, RDIAS, lighting links, machine gun sears, short barreled shot guns, short barreled rifles, AOW & destructive devices. And I'm talking about ones that are registered with BATFE, not illegal items.
Not to put word's in Charles' mouth either, but I suspect that he'd prefer they were not BATFE controlled beyond whatever controls are already in place for regular firearms. I don't think suppressors should be controlled at all. They are simply a matter of good manners.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Tag... :bigear:

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

baboon wrote:

I suspect most of us know what NFA items are. The specificity he was asking about is in regards to "his stance"? What, exactly, are you asking?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
baboon

Post by baboon »

jbarn wrote:
baboon wrote:

I suspect most of us know what NFA items are. The specificity he was asking about is in regards to "his stance"? What, exactly, are you asking?

Definition of stance (n)
Bing Dictionary
stance[ stanss ]
attitude toward something: an attitude or view that somebody takes about something

I want to know if he is for or against private ownership of NFA!

I'm certainly not gonna vote for another NRA Board member that is like old Joaquin Jackson just because he's from Texas.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

You might get a response sooner if you send him a PM.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
baboon

Post by baboon »

anygunanywhere wrote:You might get a response sooner if you send him a PM.

Anygunanywhere
Was hoping for more of a response in an open forum. PM can't be seen by all.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

why so defensive ?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles is a very busy individual and may not have seen this post in particular. If you send him a PM and ask if he will respond here in the topic, I am sure he will post when he gets time.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

A-R

Post by A-R »

To the OP, other members here have asked legitimate questions of you seeking clarification and specificity of your original question. You've responded with what could best be described as mild annoyance/condescension. Not sure what is your aim, but I'll rephrase again for the general benefit.

Asking someone's "stance" on "NFA" is broad and open ended, much like a poorly constructed "question" from a lazy TV news reporter who says merely "talk about X" as if that's a question.

Are you asking if he supports NFA as is? Are you asking if he supports changes to NFA making it either more or less restrictive? Are you asking generally if he supports the very idea of civilian ownership of NFA items (based on your reference to Joaquin Jackson I'm wondering if this is the point of your question)?

Anyway, Charles can speak for himself but the follow up questions asking you for clarification/specificity were made in good faith and deserve better than your mildly condescending answers.

Thanks

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

baboon wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:You might get a response sooner if you send him a PM.

Anygunanywhere
Was hoping for more of a response in an open forum. PM can't be seen by all.
Just offering a suggestion, Mr. Baboon.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As others have noted, your question is very broad, so my response will have to be broad as well.

I think regulating the possession of a tool rather than the misuse of that tool is both ineffective and an affront to a free society.

I wish the NFA had never been passed and I wish it would be repealed. Unfortunately, this is not going to happen in my lifetime, if at all. I also would like to see Tex. Penal Code Chp. 46 repealed and focus on misuse of weapons, not their mere possession. That too isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

Since the NFA isn't going to be repealed, it should be narrowed to cover only fully automatic firearms and truly destructive devices or what I call area weapons such as cannons, grenade launchers, etc. There's no reason to regulate SBRs, suppressors, etc. I also believe that the local LEO sign-off should be repealed and that no background check should be required of anyone who holds a state license to carry that is exempt from a NICS check. There should be no fee or "stamp" requirement. Transfer of NFA weapons between individuals should require no more than using an FFL and the current Form 4473 with a NICS check, or no NICS check if the transferee has a NICS-exempt carry license.

Chas.

Return to “National Rifle Association”