Google Spreadsheets

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lrb111
Posts in topic: 1

Google Spreadsheets

Post by lrb111 »

For those of you that might benefit from shared spreadheet info, like reloading data, leagues, running tallys on your IDPA activities, etc.
Google spreadsheets is coming out soon.

It's a first come first served environment. They are calling it a limited test. The URL is pretty long I condensed it http://tinyurl.com/jwnrp

I hope it becomes helpful.

If you need a gmail account, let me know, i have plenty to spare.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

mschadt

Post by mschadt »

Sounds good but I have to skeptical of anything google. Keep in mind they are a marketing agency more than a search engine now days. Anything they do has the purpose of market research and advertising. While the service might be worth while keep in mind it is by no means private.

With that in mind, I too extend an offer to send invites to any who need them.

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LedJedi »

I actually use google spreadsheets and documents pretty regularly for collaborative works with other folks. Love it.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Thanks! This could come in really handy. I was toying with the idea of building a MySQL database on my site where folks from TXCHL could collaborate on pricing and availability for ammo and reloading components. This may be a much easier way to go...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

ummm, for a project like that it may not be a practical application. You can share a spreadsheet among multiple users but they have to be invited by the owner of the spreadsheet individually. If you were going to share among more than maybe 10 people it might not be feasible.

You would want a wiki for something like that. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

LedJedi wrote:ummm, for a project like that it may not be a practical application. You can share a spreadsheet among multiple users but they have to be invited by the owner of the spreadsheet individually. If you were going to share among more than maybe 10 people it might not be feasible.

You would want a wiki for something like that. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
Nah; I didn't mean all of TXCHL. :grin: Just a few who might like to a contribute to small tracking effort, rather than me being the only "participant." Certainly easier than me building a small PHP app in MySQL to do it. (Oh, and a wiki wouldn't work well--I've setup a couple in the past--for what I'm tracking, which includes comparative costs over time. Really would be best with a relational DB, but a spreadsheet works okay to sort by caliber, type of round, cost per round, date priced, etc.)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

oh yeah. to track that kinda stuff... yep, you're right. wiki isn't really built for that kind of comparison.

40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

What did you guys just say? :?: And what language were you speaking? :grin:
40FIVER

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

40FIVER wrote:What did you guys just say? :?: And what language were you speaking? :grin:
HA - the BLT drive went AWOL.

or the EEPROM got zapped by an ESD. i should have been wearing my grounding band. I'll be lucking if i didn't fry the RAM or anything else with it.

Seriously, dont feel bad man. I feel the same way when some of you folks start talking about calibers and ammo loads and such. My eyes glaze over.

I'm more on the level of "THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK"... i dont get much more technical than that when it comes to guns.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

40FIVER wrote:What did you guys just say? :?: And what language were you speaking?
:grin:

Estamos teniendo un rato de la diversión que viven en el mundo de armas. (We are having fun living in the world of guns.) Geek-speak aside...

Hoppes

Warning About Sharing Unsecured Data on Google

Post by Hoppes »

LedJedi wrote:I actually use google spreadsheets and documents pretty regularly for collaborative works with other folks. Love it.
I hope you know your information is being shared with third parties on Google. For that reason, I advise against sharing unsecured data on Google.

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”