Too Nice to Shoot...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Too Nice to Shoot...

Post by newTexan »

Got into a discussion with a co-worker yesterday on the idea of guns out there that are just too nice/expensive/whatever to shoot. It was a fun topic so I thought I'd toss the question out to y'all. Do you think guns are ever "too good/nice/expensive" to shoot, and if so what is the cut off? The $1500 1911? The $3000 AR? Curious as to y'all's thoughts...

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Too Nice to Shoot...

Post by RoyGBiv »

If it doesn't shoot, it's a paperweight.

The only gun I would not shoot is an antique or collectable that's not safe to shoot.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

My dad had a selection of unique guns when I was growing up. One example he had was a pair of nickel-plated Colt .38 revolvers with consecutive serial numbers. He never shot them, even once.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I shoot everything I have no matter how much it cost or how much it's worth.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

No such thing as too nice to shoot for me. I've shot and continue to shoot every gun I own.

A friend of mine did not shoot some of his guns he bought new, as he bought them as investments.

I always meant to ask him how well he did with them as investments and never got around to it. Now, it's too late, he's gone from this world.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

RoyGBiv wrote:If it doesn't shoot, it's a paperweight.

The only gun I would not shoot is an antique or collectable that's not safe to shoot.
I agree with Roy!

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

:iagree:

I once shot a VERY expensive shotgun, I do not remember the make or model or even the exact cost (it was in the thousands), but when I was told how much it was I didn't want to shoot it. The owner said "Guns are made to be shot." So we shot a couple rounds of skeet with it.
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The Marshal wrote:

I agree with Roy!
1 more :iagree:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I shoot every gun I have. I've had two antiques in the past that I've decided were not safe to shoot anymore. I gave them to a collector friend of mine.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Sure.. these exist.. If you're a collector or an investor. Just like wine.

TheCytochromeC

Post by TheCytochromeC »

It's kind of like saying, "Hey, I spent all this money on a nice suit - but I'm not going to wear it because it's too valuable."

SHOOT EM'! SHOOT EM' ALL!!! :evil2:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I also shoot all but 1 gun. That gun happens to be my grandfathers 1911 that was issued to him in WW2. How he came home with it I'll never know since he's been gone since 1968. Although I am sure it will shoot and I clean it every time I clean one of my guns, I just haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it. Last time it was shot was 1967 when he took me "out back" to shoot at some cans. 4 months later he passed. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but not gonna shoot it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RPBrown wrote:I also shoot all but 1 gun. That gun happens to be my grandfathers 1911 that was issued to him in WW2. How he came home with it I'll never know since he's been gone since 1968. Although I am sure it will shoot and I clean it every time I clean one of my guns, I just haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it. Last time it was shot was 1967 when he took me "out back" to shoot at some cans. 4 months later he passed. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but not gonna shoot it.
I also have my dad's WW2 1911. I don't shoot it very often, but I do shoot it. It runs like a champ. But I do understand what you're saying.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I also shoot all but 1 gun. That gun happens to be my grandfathers 1911 that was issued to him in WW2. How he came home with it I'll never know since he's been gone since 1968. Although I am sure it will shoot and I clean it every time I clean one of my guns, I just haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it. Last time it was shot was 1967 when he took me "out back" to shoot at some cans. 4 months later he passed. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but not gonna shoot it.
I also have my dad's WW2 1911. I don't shoot it very often, but I do shoot it. It runs like a champ. But I do understand what you're saying.
I can understand the sentiment. I have the Browning 12ga A5 my Grandma bought my Grandpa for their first anniversary. She worked at a department store up north. She asked her manager if they had any used guns, as she couldn't afford a new one. He told her to try out the Browning, he even let her shoot it. She liked it but she couldn't afford one of the new guns. He told her she could afford the one she was holding, it's been shot, it's used now. I heard my Grandmother tell that story several times. They're both gone now. That Browning is my most treasured gun.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
I have no doubt that it would shoot. It is maintained as well as any in my safe. The caveat to this is I may take my grandson out and let him shoot it some day. But he will have to be old enough to understand the sentiment behind it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”