More knuckleheadedness with active shooter drills...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

More knuckleheadedness with active shooter drills...

Post by ELB »

This is a lawsuit, the official "she said" part of the equation, but the pronouncements of those on the "he said" are not terribly convincing, to my mind:

http://www.postindependent.com/news/124 ... ant-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mcknights.com/nursing-home-d ... le/363885/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short, a woman says she was taken hostage and not told it was a drill until afterward..

Previous numbskullery like this discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=63807&hilit=hospit ... ll#p782939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: More knuckleheadedness with active shooter drills...

Post by tacticool »

One of these days they'll get what they deserve from someone who refuses to be a victim. One of these days.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

jmra

Post by jmra »

Obviously we don't have all the information, but unless the employer showed proof that they prepped the employees properly for the drill I'd say this is a slam dunk.
ETA: I would never believe someone who flashed a gun at me that their actions were a drill. I would have insisted on talking to 911 operators myself and confirming it was a drill at which time I also would have expressed my desire and right to be extracted from any and all actions associated with the drill.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

This is what happens when people who don't understand the problem come up with the solutions.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

jmra wrote:Obviously we don't have all the information, but unless the employer showed proof that they prepped the employees properly for the drill I'd say this is a slam dunk.
ETA: I would never believe someone who flashed a gun at me that their actions were a drill. I would have insisted on talking to 911 operators myself and confirming it was a drill at which time I also would have expressed my desire and right to be extracted from any and all actions associated with the drill.

Flash a gun at me and I will put you down. You won't have time to say its a drill. Thats the classic definition of "reasonable fear" right there.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
jmra wrote:Obviously we don't have all the information, but unless the employer showed proof that they prepped the employees properly for the drill I'd say this is a slam dunk.

Flash a gun at me and I will put you down. You won't have time to say its a drill. Thats the classic definition of "reasonable fear" right there.
C'mon back to the real world, CPD... this was a nurse in a nursing home. She wasn't armed, wasn't informed, and wasn't given a chance to give her Tarzan yell!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Again, this is only one side of the story, but it certainly sounds stupid enough to be true.

A couple of her allegations:
70. For approximately the next twenty (20) minutes, the gunman -- who Ms. Meeker later learned was Defendant Zimmerman -- and LCCA Defendants’ management criticized Ms. Meeker for the things that they felt she had done wrong during the “active shooter drill.”

71. For example, Ms. Meeker was advised that she could have done better by yelling out, knocking over a nursing cart, making more noise, and bringing more attention to the situation.
This seems to me not only to be inadequate, but fundamentally wrong -- some stranger with a gun has taken her hostage and they want her to agitate him by making noise? Sounds like a great way to get shot. If she decides to sacrifice herself to warn others, I will praise her courage, but to lay that out as the job-required actions for an RN in a nursing home? :banghead: This is nuts. Excalibur got it exactly correct.
USAF 1982-2005

victory

Post by victory »

Cedar Park Dad wrote: Flash a gun at me and I will put you down. You won't have time to say its a drill. Thats the classic definition of "reasonable fear" right there.
Its a gun free zone but a medical professional presumably knows a thing or two about anatomy and has access to scalpels or other tools they can use to compromise the anatomy of the bad guy.

The missing piece might be mindset if opportunity presented itself for Victory.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

victory wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote: Flash a gun at me and I will put you down. You won't have time to say its a drill. Thats the classic definition of "reasonable fear" right there.
Its a gun free zone but a medical professional presumably knows a thing or two about anatomy and has access to scalpels or other tools they can use to compromise the anatomy of the bad guy.

I don't know about CO, but nursing homes in TX are not gun free unless they post a 30.06 sign.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

n5wd wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

C'mon back to the real world, CPD... this was a nurse in a nursing home. She wasn't armed, wasn't informed, and wasn't given a chance to give her Tarzan yell!

You're not catching my point. I'm not criticising her (I hope she gets 8 bazillion dollars and a lot of people get fired). I'm saying this is an excellent way for one of these jokers to get shot.

And you never know who is armed. Thats kind of the point of a CHL no?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

victory wrote:

That too. Who knows this could have been Nurse Ma Barker, throw coffee on him and give him an emergency castration. :eek6

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

A little resurrection here...might want to go back and read it from the top.

I had one of those "I wonder whatever happened..." thoughts today about this thread, so committed search-fu. Found the following article dated 9 Jun 16:

Carbondale insurer pays $85K over nursing home active shooter drill

The Cliff's Notes on this is that the Colorado Intergovernmental Risk Sharing Agency paid $85K to get the Carbondale police chief and one of his officers off the hook in the ensuing lawsuit. As of that date the lawsuit continued against the parent company of the nursing home.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”