ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

Post by ScottDLS »

With the world political situation as it is and our porous southern border, I'm becoming more concerned about a potential attack by ISIS in a high profile Texas location. What about a machine gun attack in a crowded mall? Grapevine Mills comes to mind as it is theoretically a GFZ. Or an AMC theater?

What if a crew of determined jihadis decide to take a Mills Mall hostage w/ full-auto "Fast and Furious" AK's that they picked up in Mexico, on the way to Texas? I'm afraid that my carry piece (Walther PPK/s) isn't going to cut it. I'm thinking it may not even be enough to fight my way back to my car where I sometimes have my AR-15.

Does anyone (other than OCTC) carry a rifle or other long gun regularly (maybe concealed)? I can almost get my Ruger AC-556F Full-Auto folder into a backpack. It would be a SBR if it wasn't also select fire. For now I leave it in my bug out bag. I'm afraid they search backpacks at AMC (mostly for outside food, but I doubt an AR would go over well).

:evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Re: ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

Post by jmra »

My plan is as follows:

Stay out of malls - hate them anyway.
Stay out of theaters - you'll be able to watch it at home soon enough.
Stay out of cities - nasty places anyway.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

Stay away from malls and you have nothing to worry about. When I am out and about now I either have an AR or a tactical shotgun in my vehicle.

:mrgreen:

I do not go to malls. I rarely go to Houston and if I do it is to visit the grandchildren or transport them back and forth from La Grange. If I go to Austin it is to a specific location and then back home.

The next three weeks are antique weeks here in the area. I am not really concerned about anything here. Since we have been here I have met many of the antique merchants and a great number of them pack and do not tolerate unsavory characters.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

CowboyEngineer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CowboyEngineer »

Amazon.com
NRA Life Member
Glock 23
Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Is a concealed long gun legal to carry?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jmra wrote:My plan is as follows:

There it is! Next question....?

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I would say if you and yours make it back to your trunk gun (carbine/rifle), you probably don't need it. Time to drive home.

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHLLady »

ScottDLS wrote:With the world political situation as it is and our porous southern border, I'm becoming more concerned about a potential attack by ISIS in a high profile Texas location. What about a machine gun attack in a crowded mall? Grapevine Mills comes to mind as it is theoretically a GFZ. Or an AMC theater?

What if a crew of determined jihadis decide to take a Mills Mall hostage w/ full-auto "Fast and Furious" AK's that they picked up in Mexico, on the way to Texas? I'm afraid that my carry piece (Walther PPK/s) isn't going to cut it. I'm thinking it may not even be enough to fight my way back to my car where I sometimes have my AR-15.

Does anyone (other than OCTC) carry a rifle or other long gun regularly (maybe concealed)? I can almost get my Ruger AC-556F Full-Auto folder into a backpack. It would be a SBR if it wasn't also select fire. For now I leave it in my bug out bag. I'm afraid they search backpacks at AMC (mostly for outside food, but I doubt an AR would go over well).

:evil2:

I think you ask a very legitimate question. I've been wondering this myself! They are encouraging lone wolf type attacks, but we've already seen what they are like in the mall attack in Africa. It's safe to say they will kill anyone that moves. My goal would be to escape through the nearest exit or hide the best way possible.

I've got to stop procrastinating and sew in two slots on my holster for my magazines!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

My father in law keeps a Kel tec sub2000 in a bag in his truck. Is that legal in a backpack to carry? It is concealed.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Well, "Soft Target" by Stephen Hunter kind of lays out the scenario.

It would be hard for the authorities to do anything about a determined and suicidal attack.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

:iagree:

I already told the wife: no mall trips without me, and it's not easy or fun to try to get me to go to a mall.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My plan is one and two. I live in the City. :coolgleamA:

The shooting scenario could be more real than people realize. Perfect example is the Afghanistan soldiers who disappeared here while in military training this week. How many more are here we know nothing about?

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

jimlongley wrote:Well, "Soft Target" by Stephen Hunter kind of lays out the scenario.

It would be hard for the authorities to do anything about a determined and suicidal attack.

Just downloaded the "sample" of this on Kindle, about 10% of the book. If the 1st 10% is good, I'll buy it. Another good one is Day of Wrath by William Forstchen, author of One Second After.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Oddly, Mall of America in Minneapolis is gun-free by MN state law and very prominently posted.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

suthdj wrote:Is a concealed long gun legal to carry?
Cjwglock19 wrote:My father in law keeps a Kel tec sub2000 in a bag in his truck. Is that legal in a backpack to carry? It is concealed.
Sure.

TPC §46.02 Unlawful Carrying Weapons is concerned with carrying unlawful weapons ("handgun, illegal knife, or club") regardless of concealment or whether a handgun is loaded or not. Long guns are not part of this statute.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”