ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Re: ISIS Mall Attack - How can we prepare?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Have you noticed that you don't ever see products being delivered to stores via the main hallways in malls?

That's because there is a series of back hallways behind all the stores where these activities take place.

My instruction to my family for an active shooter situation in a mall is to run to the rear of whatever store they're in, go through the door labeled "employees only," go around, over, or through anyone who tries to stop them, and follow the exit signs into the service corridor and out of the building. .

The same plan works for most other stores and restaurants (where you go through the kitchen), except there is no service corridor.
I think this is exactly right--if a terror group posts-up outside mall entrances they are most likely to do so at the major access points and not the emergency/service entries.

Further, if there ARE BGs posted at the service doors, the back storage areas of any small retail store are more likely IMO to serve as decent hiding places than anywhere else in the mall.
Here's some food for thought....

A bad guy enters the mall through an anchor store, goes through a shop into a back corredor, where he opens a door to the outside and lets his cohorts in with all the guns. They hand him his, and they "magically" appear among the shoppers and begin shooting. Video surveillance actually makes it initially harder for first responders to diagnose what's going on, because there is NO FOOTAGE of armed men entering through the JC Penney's, etc.

My point is, exiting through the back hallways and doors is a good strategy, but DON'T take it for granted that there will be no hostile surprises along the way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

simianangel
Posts in topic: 4

Post by simianangel »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Have you noticed that you don't ever see products being delivered to stores via the main hallways in malls?

That's because there is a series of back hallways behind all the stores where these activities take place.

My instruction to my family for an active shooter situation in a mall is to run to the rear of whatever store they're in, go through the door labeled "employees only," go around, over, or through anyone who tries to stop them, and follow the exit signs into the service corridor and out of the building. .

The same plan works for most other stores and restaurants (where you go through the kitchen), except there is no service corridor.
I think this is exactly right--if a terror group posts-up outside mall entrances they are most likely to do so at the major access points and not the emergency/service entries.

Further, if there ARE BGs posted at the service doors, the back storage areas of any small retail store are more likely IMO to serve as decent hiding places than anywhere else in the mall.

A bad guy enters the mall through an anchor store, goes through a shop into a back corredor, where he opens a door to the outside and lets his cohorts in with all the guns. They hand him his, and they "magically" appear among the shoppers and begin shooting. Video surveillance actually makes it initially harder for first responders to diagnose what's going on, because there is NO FOOTAGE of armed men entering through the JC Penney's, etc.

My point is, exiting through the back hallways and doors is a good strategy, but DON'T take it for granted that there will be no hostile surprises along the way.
I remember hearing one of the movie mass murderers come in through the out door. Was that confirmed?

simianangel

Post by simianangel »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:In the real world if you're having a multipoint attack on a mall Nigeria style, your best bet is to haul keister. So I guess I'd recommened preparing by practicing wind sprints.
:iagree: Run like a scalded cat.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

bigity wrote:Curse allah and/or muhammad?
I'm the one with the 1911, they are the ones with AKs?

Don't they all get an AK as a graduation gift from grade school?
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

simianangel

Post by simianangel »

That was a thought provoking video. Thank you for posting it.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:

As I telephone man I spent a lot of time in those back corridors. Not all stores have them, but I always try to stay aware of their locations and incorporate them in any exit tactics I might anticipate.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

simianangel wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:

I remember hearing one of the movie mass murderers come in through the out door. Was that confirmed?
Yes. Aurora, CO.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

healthinsp wrote:Along these same lines, how do you let the good guys know you aren't a bad guy?
bigity wrote:Curse allah and/or muhammad?
Yell.... "Aloha Snackbar"

"rlol"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

RoyGBiv wrote:Yell.... "Aloha Snackbar"

"rlol"
Infidel!! Wolverine!!! :biggrinjester:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

flytoride
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flytoride »

mr surveyor wrote:Longview mall is 30.06

It's okay; no one goes there anyway. :smilelol5:

ELB

Post by ELB »

AndyC wrote:We lived in siege-conditions in South Africa for decades, and life just has to go on.

Weigh the risk, carry everywhere you can (and carry alternate weapons when you can't). Know your exits, note cover and concealment, protect your family first, protect yourself and others if you can, die like a Viking if you have to.
Nice summation. Can I add one piece of advice?

Wear some decent footwear.

Something that's not going to fall off and will let you dash through terrain that is no longer flat and smooth and obstacle free.

Every time I see pictures of some mass ugly event, there are shoes and flipflops laying everywhere, and people (mostly dead in the pics) barefoot or sock-footed. It doesn't matter whether it is a terrorist attack or a big fire or what, people where comfy-slob outfits with sandals or crocs or some such, and then end up running through broken glass and rubble. Or not running once they carve up their feet. /endrant.
USAF 1982-2005

Panzer Possum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Panzer Possum »

They have fantastic bacon wrapped pineapple bites. Pairs well with a Saint Arnold.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

ELB,

Your footwear advice is spot on.

Except for when I'm cycling, I wear all leather, Vasque Sundowner boots.

I wore them hiking off trail in Big Bend National Park and never had an issue with the stabbing plant life everywhere I walked and if I had to, I could run in them much like I use to wearing combat boots in the Army. (though my right knee ain't what it used to be with meniscus surgery, but I digress...)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:

"rlol"
Don't forget "Leroy Jenkins!!!!!"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:

"rlol"
Don't forget "Leroy Jenkins!!!!!"
"At least I've got chicken!"
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”