H.B. 216 - Under 21 to get CHL?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

H.B. 216 - Under 21 to get CHL?

Post by TVGuy »

Am I reading it right, is the sole purpose of this allowing people aged 18-20 to get a CHL even if not in the military? Wouldn't this cause serious reciprocity issues? I believe it would, but if not I'd still be against it I think.

Thoughts?

CleverNickname

Re: H.B. 216 - Under 21 to get CHL?

Post by CleverNickname »

I know Washington already doesn't recognize any Texas CHLs because of 18-20 yo military/veteran CHLs; there are probably a couple others I'm not thinking of.

I don't think there are any other states that currently recognize Texas CHLs (including those young military/vet CHLs) who would stop recognition if 18-20 year old members of the general public could get CHLs.

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

TVGuy wrote:Am I reading it right, is the sole purpose of this allowing people aged 18-20 to get a CHL even if not in the military? Wouldn't this cause serious reciprocity issues? I believe it would, but if not I'd still be against it I think.

Thoughts?
So, do you think 18-20 year olds should be denied their rights under the rest of the BOR, or just the 2nd ?

I am in favor of removing any restrictions on freedom we can manage to get passed.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TVGuy wrote:Am I reading it right, is the sole purpose of this allowing people aged 18-20 to get a CHL even if not in the military? Wouldn't this cause serious reciprocity issues? I believe it would, but if not I'd still be against it I think.

Thoughts?
The answer now is "no," it won't hurt reciprocity. A few years ago we faced this exact issue when a particular House Member filed and passed a bill to allow people as young as 18 to get a CHL if they were in the military or had been in the military. This was an absolute disaster in the making and almost cost us reciprocity with several states. NRA lobbyists in those states busted their butts to convince legislators in those states not to revoke reciprocity, but to simply not recognize a Texas CHL if it was issued to someone under age 21. When the first state adopted that approach, it was easier to get others to do likewise.

Now there is a precedent for states to follow if they want to deal with people under 21 having a Texas CHL.

Chas.

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

paperchunker wrote:So, do you think 18-20 year olds should be denied their rights under the rest of the BOR, or just the 2nd ?
Red herring. Where does the 2nd Amendment say the right to bear arms shall be infringed by requiring a license?
I do know my Bible, sir.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”