streaming video

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 4

streaming video

Post by 1s1k52 »

Ok so the computer i am forced to use for the next little while has a 2.1 dual core processor 3 gb ram Windows 7 32 bit and the intel chipset 4 videocard. I have updated all the drivers I believe yet still any kind of video that runs online or downloaded has a lot of skipping etc.

Thoughts? or am I out of luck with such a week system
(insert clever signature here)

bmwrdr

Re: streaming video

Post by bmwrdr »

Is it choppy sound or video or both?
I saw a similar symptom on my Windows box a while ago. After updating a Realtek audio driver I had chopped sound through my speakers. Regardless of application I used, Youtube, windows media player or a simple 3rd party sound player/ editor called Soundforge.
Rolling back drivers and restoring the registry from a previous restore point didn't help either.
The issue was fixed when I reseated the audio connector between the external speakers.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

bmwrdr wrote:Is it choppy sound or video or both?
I saw a similar symptom on my Windows box a while ago. After updating a Realtek audio driver I had chopped sound through my speakers. Regardless of application I used, Youtube, windows media player or a simple 3rd party sound player/ editor called Soundforge.
Rolling back drivers and restoring the registry from a previous restore point didn't help either.
The issue was fixed when I reseated the audio connector between the external speakers.

it is both

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

If it is both I'd look at the drivers or possible updates of the PC manufacturer first, including chipset firmware.
Is it an issue with YouTube only or does a locally stored movie or audio file show the same symptoms?

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

1s1k52 wrote:Ok so the computer i am forced to use for the next little while has a 2.1 dual core processor 3 gb ram Windows 7 32 bit and the intel chipset 4 videocard. I have updated all the drivers I believe yet still any kind of video that runs online or downloaded has a lot of skipping etc.

Thoughts? or am I out of luck with such a week system
What kind of network speeds are feeding your computer?

For example, the computer lab I run is fed with fibre optics to the router that feeds the 33 computers in my lab, but quite often our ISP has problems with delivering us enough data that if several of our students are watching different videos (they're taking online courses and the lecture in the course is delivered by video) we'll often see several, or all, of the computers buffering data every now and then.

It sounds as if your hardware, if it's functioning properly, should be able to handle it, so perhaps it's a problem at the source, or the pipes, in between.
Last edited by n5wd on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Also, are you running wireless? You may have issues with co-channel interference, overload on the wireless network, poor signal, etc causing it if so.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

In the initial post there was a statement saying "video that runs online or downloaded has a lot of skipping ". Since the term downloaded was mentioned I assume it is not working when he tries to play it from hard disk, hence I would not look at the network to start with.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

YouTube seems to work fine now. Hadnt had time to watch a movie I stored yet. I had to go directly to intels site and read a little bit. I did chipset, audio, and graphics acellerator.

Thanks for the relies. Yes I am running wireless.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

1s1k52 wrote:YouTube seems to work fine now. Hadnt had time to watch a movie I stored yet. I had to go directly to intels site and read a little bit. I did chipset, audio, and graphics acellerator.

Allrighty and congrats! I guess we can use this forum as a helpdesk system now :cheers2:

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

bmwrdr wrote:
1s1k52 wrote:YouTube seems to work fine now. Hadnt had time to watch a movie I stored yet. I had to go directly to intels site and read a little bit. I did chipset, audio, and graphics acellerator.

Allrighty and congrats! I guess we can use this forum as a helpdesk system now :cheers2:
Ha ha hopefully. Don't have cable so trying to watch epidsodes of Southland and The Wire. Also started the show Hannibal.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”