New Article: The History of Open-Carry Efforts in Texas

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

New Article: The History of Open-Carry Efforts in Texas

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasFirearmsCoalition.com wrote:The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

If one where to believe all the hype, it would appear that there has been an ongoing battle to pass open-carry in many legislative sessions in Texas. This simply is not true, so let us look at what has transpired on this issue.
Full Article at: http://www.TexasFirearmsCoalition.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New Article: The History of Open-Carry Efforts in Texas

Post by baldeagle »

Charles, I think you have a typo "treats of political retribution against any Texas Senator or House Member that did not support open-carry" should be "threats of political retribution against any Texas Senator or House Member that did not support open-carry"
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E.Marquez »

Well stated, but alas, I think it will only be read by like minded folks that need no such education. And ignored, meaning not even read or considerd by the many who could benefit from such enlightenment.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I was at the range yesterday. Before I leave, I mentioned OC next 2 older shooters. I was surprised by the following.
1) I guess I was the younger and I am for CHL with option to Open Carry
2) The guy who looks a bit older than me is 100% against OC and accept only CC. He said that anyone who is OC would be treated as a threat. And, if he sees an OC around kids school he would take him out?!! No ifs or but, I thought he was referring to long guns being carried around schools or even OC of sidearms around schools (Probably illegal under federal law if it is not licensed)
3) The third, he was for Constitutional Carry.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

baldeagle wrote:Charles, I think you have a typo "treats of political retribution against any Texas Senator or House Member that did not support open-carry" should be "threats of political retribution against any Texas Senator or House Member that did not support open-carry"
Thanks, it's amazing how many times you can read something you wrote and see what you meant rather than way you typed.

Chas.

airborned

Post by airborned »

That was a good history lesson. Thanks for the read.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for the article Charles. There are things in the article I did not know. :tiphat:

I hope there are many people on the TFC distribution list are in a position of political influence, who are not as up to speed on the OC issues as we are, to become enlightened and react favorably to it[the article], while mitigating the negative effects of OCT, OCTC & CATI.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Charles, I think you have a typo "treats of political retribution against any Texas Senator or House Member that did not support open-carry" should be "threats of political retribution against any Texas Senator or House Member that did not support open-carry"
Thanks, it's amazing how many times you can read something you wrote and see what you meant rather than way you typed.

Chas.
I do it all the time. I tend to proofread posts here at least four or five times. When I'm writing articles, it's more like 10 or 20 times. Yet I still make similar mistakes. As you say, you read what you meant rather than what you typed.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

E.Marquez wrote:Well stated, but alas, I think it will only be read by like minded folks that need no such education. And ignored, meaning not even read or considerd by the many who could benefit from such enlightenment.

I agree. I think the biggest issue republicans and conservatives have is that we end up preaching to the choir quite a bit and then end up infighting over the idiosyncrasies and syntax of an issue. Now don't go thinking that is what I am saying Charles is doing as that is not what I think he is doing. I believe he is giving us some solid information and it is our responsibility to help spread the word to the less enlightened, whether they be liberal progressives or right wing nuts that use no discernment, logic or tact, so they will be exposed to it and have to make some sort of judgment with regard to it's validity.

We are great at sharing information and our positions with each other. How good are we at getting our word out to the masses in a polite, rational and effective manner so that it will have a positive effect?

As far as proofreading, I am the worlds worst. Too impatient and ADD. sorry
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Shaking my head at OCT & OCTC.

What selfish, entitled little children. :nono: :grumble :mad5 :waiting:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The Forum and TFC are read by an audience much broader than our Members and I also post snippets of the articles on my Facebook page and the Facebook page for TFC. My goal is to reach gun owners who do not keep up with current events.

The History of Open-Carry Efforts in Texas article was written to let folks know that there's no reason to believe that serious efforts to pass open-carry have been attempted and failed prior to 2015. If one were to believe this, then it would be very easy to be discouraged (or encouraged if you don't want open-carry to pass). Answering the question as to when the effort to pass open-carry actually began is somewhat like asking a Chinese citizen, a British citizen, an American citizen when World War II began. Your answers will be 1937, 1939 and 1941, respectively.

Though some will be unwilling to admit it, passing a bill that carries the emotion and negative media coverage like open-carry is not going to pass until and unless the NRA and/or TSRA support it. That's the real reason some blasted both organizations. They wanted NRA and TSRA to blindly support their bills and to essentially abandon the multi-year legislative goals and strategic plans both organizations had established, so they could support open-carry instead.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

You provide great info for gun owners to get caught up as well as those less enlightened folks that may be swayed by sound arguments. It is my goal to help spread the word so more people realize it's not the gun, it's the person that chooses to use the gun.

The more we can get on our team the better off we are. :cheers2:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

A shame the messenger is more important than the message but I understand why.

If Texas wants constitutional carry, the path lies through licensed open carry.

i feel like a sellout saying that.

Here's hoping Kory Watkins doesn't throw his weight, which I reckon at ten pounds in a five pound bag, behind HB910.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

treadlightly wrote:. . . If Texas wants constitutional carry, the path lies through licensed open carry.

i feel like a sellout saying that.
Don't, recognizing reality is necessary if you are to achieve a legislative goal.

I used to slather Rogain on my head, but all I got was a greasy bald spot. Now, I just comb what's left and soldier on.

Chas.

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”