Different Twist on RV Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CowboyPilot
Posts in topic: 3

Different Twist on RV Question

Post by CowboyPilot »

Tried some searching but "rv" is below the four character limit. Searched some related terms and couldnt find this nuance. I know the rv is considered my residence when parked. My question is regarding the spot that I rent. Is there any analogue there to my yard say at my house. That property is rented so is it "under my control" for the purposes of asking someone to leave? What if I post a no trespassing sign or purple stripes? Maybe this seems extreme or silly since its not much but it would be nice to have some sort of reactionary pad between a BG and my kids instead of a 1.5" rv door.

Follow on question: What if my "residence" is on ACoE land?

Related story: we were camping at the city park in Wichita falls (wonderful adjoining park by the way) and at 0400 there is a knock on the door some dude wanting me to come out and give him gas money. I told my wife to have 911 predialed and told the dude he could have the 2 gallons in the can by my truck that we carry for the generator. He just got in his car and left didn't even take the gas. It could have gone much worse.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Different Twist on RV Question

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

In Texas, even though the property is rented, you would not be able to openly carry on it if that is what you are asking. The issue is you would be intentionally displaying in a public area.

Now, you COULD potentially carry to/from your RV to a vehicle, but would still have to conceal it in your vehicle.

As for COE land, that is federal, so there is a little difference on that. Not really even sure you can be camping on COE land and have a firearm in your RV, but that is a grey area. I would definitely not take the firearm out of the RV there for sure.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

We RV about six months out of the year and carry several handguns (you can't have too many) - like Keith mentioned sometimes it is a bit of a gray area. We were just in Commifornia and even though we're in a motorhome, when underway the guns have to be unloaded and locked away just like any vehicle. When parked, we're like a home - load and lock.

Lots of private campgrounds will have a page (or three) of rules and policies and sometimes they prohibit having firearms aboard your RV. And no, we don't throw our guns away to comply with their rules :fire .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

miljet

Post by miljet »

Related story: we were camping at the city park in Wichita falls (wonderful adjoining park by the way) and at 0400 there is a knock on the door some dude wanting me to come out and give him gas money. I told my wife to have 911 predialed and told the dude he could have the 2 gallons in the can by my truck that we carry for the generator. He just got in his car and left didn't even take the gas. It could have gone much worse.
We stayed at that same city park about a year and a half ago. We also had some guy knock on our door and ask for gas money. Then about 1:00 AM, there was a couple having a drunken brawl in the adjoining street. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. Definitely on my list of campgrounds to avoid.

Topic author
CowboyPilot

Post by CowboyPilot »

No kidding. That's really unfortunate because Lucy Park next door was really great and it's a good stop between Tulsa and Abilene for us. If there's a track record though it may be just best to avoid. The location right off I-44 probably doesn't help.

Thanks for the input. We want to be safe, but we also want to be careful about following the rules, so I guess we'll just go where they have rules we like ;)

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

miljet wrote: We stayed at that same city park about a year and a half ago. We also had some guy knock on our door and ask for gas money. Then about 1:00 AM, there was a couple having a drunken brawl in the adjoining street. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. Definitely on my list of campgrounds to avoid.
Sounds like Wally-docking is preferable to that city park..

Topic author
CowboyPilot

Post by CowboyPilot »

That's what we had been doing but wife and four kids don't like Texas summer nights with no AC. Not certain but it seems like running a genset in the Walmart parking lot is a bad idea so we found that city park. Looks like we are back in the market for a location lol.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

CowboyPilot wrote:That's what we had been doing but wife and four kids don't like Texas summer nights with no AC. Not certain but it seems like running a genset in the Walmart parking lot is a bad idea so we found that city park. Looks like we are back in the market for a location lol.
I dunno why running a generator at Walmart is a bad idea.. Can't RV in Texas in the summer w/o power!
The "variety" of what you run into at RV parks or campgrounds in general is pretty interesting.... We're pretty diligent about reviews, but you can't sort it all out 100% of the time.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”