Concealed carry while employed by the State?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
O.F.Fascist
Posts in topic: 1

Concealed carry while employed by the State?

Post by O.F.Fascist »

I'm thinking of taking a job with the State are there any legal issues regarding concealed carrying in the office that I should think about? As far as I know none of my work will take me to schools, hospitals, or courts?

Anyone think it would be a good idea to notify my new supervisor for some reason? I am personally leaning towards concealed is concealed and just keeping it to myself.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Concealed carry while employed by the State?

Post by C-dub »

The odd part about this is that I think an employer can still prevent an employee from carrying at work. The odd thing about that is that they probably cannot prevent a non-employee from carrying in your workplace unless there's another reason it would be off limits. Also, remember, schools and courts don't have to be posted with a 30.06, but hospitals do if they want to prohibit CC.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

As there are many different agencies for the State, it will probably depend on thier policy, my wife works for the Health and Human Services and says their policy does not allow employees to carry at work or allow them to have it in their cars in the parking lot, which i told her about the parking lot law, but she still disagrees.. I carry in her building all the time since its a govt building and i'm not a state employee...
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

gward

Post by gward »

RetNavy wrote:As there are many different agencies for the State, it will probably depend on thier policy, my wife wcannotr the Health and Human Services and says their policy does not allow employees to carry at work or allow them to have it in their cars in the parking lot, which i told her about the parking lot law, but she still disagrees.. I carry in her building all the time since its a govt building and i'm not a state employee...
RetNavy, you are correct. It will depend on the agencies policy. Also you are correct about keeping it in her car in the parking lot. That used to be a big no no for State Agencies until the parking lot bill passed. :rules:

O.F.Fascist
I would suggest that you quietly look at their HR manual. This most likely will be on their Intranet site once you get computer access and sign in credentials. Some State Agencies have not changed their firearm policies, however I know one has! :tiphat:

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I have two friends that worked for the DPS as inspector that were assigned to inspect places that issued vehicle inspection stickers. DPS would not allow them to carry while at work. I don't know if that policy was state wide or even exist now. My advice would be to inquire before trying to sneak it in.
Skip Bishop

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Some agencies might be better to work for than others...

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/all-news/093013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Oh, and the General Land Office. When Patterson was Land Commissioner, he also had CHL classes after work and on weekends, and permitted employees with CHLs to carry.
USAF 1982-2005

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

It definitely depends on the agency. The Comptroller of Public Accounts is so strict, even cops cannot carry at work if they are not commissioned by the Comptroller. At least they do recognize that the parking lot law is in existence and allow that.
Steve Rothstein

airborned

Post by airborned »

I work for tpwd as a park ranger. They allow us to conceal carry. Im not sure if they will allow open carry but i hope and i will lobby for the department to allow us to continue to carry concealed.

CowboyPilot

Post by CowboyPilot »

Airborne,

Just out of curiosity Lake Brownwood SP has a "no firearms" sign. Pretty sure its not Corps land and its State government so my interpretation is that the sign=N/A. What kind of training/instruction do y'all get as rangers regarding weapons as far as CC with CHL or in vehicles/RVs wuthout a CHL.

ELB

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote:It definitely depends on the agency. The Comptroller of Public Accounts is so strict, even cops cannot carry at work if they are not commissioned by the Comptroller.
:banghead:

This is current? Glenn Hegar in other words?
USAF 1982-2005

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

It was written under Susan Combs, but Glenn has not changed it yet.
Steve Rothstein

airborned

Post by airborned »

CowboyPilot wrote:Airborne,

Just out of curiosity Lake Brownwood SP has a "no firearms" sign. Pretty sure its not Corps land and its State government so my interpretation is that the sign=N/A. What kind of training/instruction do y'all get as rangers regarding weapons as far as CC with CHL or in vehicles/RVs wuthout a CHL.

No its not Corps land. you can carry away. the thing they do not want you doing is carrying a rifle or shotgun or open carrying. that is pretty much the rule in all state parks except when hunting and that's a whole different thing. as for training we really have none were fine with concealed carry and what is in your RV is none of our business. it is an extension of your home. There is a difference between Rangers and LEO we have both at our parks so Leo will handle any firearm enforcement for the most part.

CowboyPilot

Post by CowboyPilot »

Murica. Good to hear. Lk BW is our default get away location with the kiddos. Funny how you can go 45 minutes out of Abilene and they have these things called "trees" and "hills"...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

airborned wrote:
CowboyPilot wrote:Airborne,

No its not Corps land. you can carry away. the thing they do not want you doing is carrying a rifle or shotgun or open carrying. that is pretty much the rule in all state parks except when hunting and that's a whole different thing.
Interesting. I wouldn't do it, but since OC of long guns is legal, is this "rule" enforceable?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”