What kind of trouble if I forgot to bring my CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

goose
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What kind of trouble if I forgot to bring my CHL

Post by goose »

The Wall wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:I keep scanned images of important documents in a separate folder on my phone.
FCC license, CHL, DL, insurance card, eyeglasses prescription, other health information, etc..

They may not be accepted as genuine, but it's better than nothing.
Man don't lose that phone. I'm sure it's password protected right? I'm not sure if I were a police officer I would take that as you having a license. A picture on a cell phone? For insurance I don't see a problem because it can be checked against your actual DL. Do the police departments have a policy on this? Is it acceptable? Hard to tell if a license has been altered when looking at it on a cell phone. Would be very easy for me to photoshop my picture onto your license. :lol:
While not a scientifically large sample, I was once pulled over with no license. The officer asked me if I could remember my number at all. I just couldn't remember it. At the end of our visit, he encouraged me to take a picture on my phone.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

PaJ wrote:2 stories:

#1. I had a coworker traveling in China and lost his passport while there. The thing that saved him was our administrative assistant had a copy of it at the office. We were able to get it to the US Embassy and expedite getting him home. This was circa 2000 so before cloud storage, etc. Now I keep copies of those things in the cloud so I can get them if/when needed. I probably need to put more there now that I think about it.

#2. One fine morning on my commute, I saw a man driving very erratically like he was drunk. I called 911 and followed him. Eventually the cops caught up to us and pulled him over. I pulled over as well to give a statement, etc. When the cop asked for my driver's license, I'd forgotten my wallet at home. He gave me the "what an idiot" look. I apologized profusely. He shook his head and took my other info, and let me be on my way. My CHL stays next to my DL, so if I forgot it again, I'd have neither with me. I've worked really hard since that experience to always do things the same way every day so I don't make the same mistake. Regarding the man, he'd worked all night and was tired driving home. Dangerous none the less, but was glad he wasn't driving while intoxicated during morning rush hour.

I guess my OCD has the best of me. Before I go to bed Everything is lined up wallet keys phone then ring and triple checked before going to bed. When I leave the same thing but the other way ring phone keys wallet then triple checked before getting in my truck.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

In response to the OP:
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under
Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
That, to me, reads that if you forgot your license, don't get caught carrying a handgun. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

goose wrote:
The Wall wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:I keep scanned images of important documents in a separate folder on my phone.
FCC license, CHL, DL, insurance card, eyeglasses prescription, other health information, etc..

They may not be accepted as genuine, but it's better than nothing.
Man don't lose that phone. I'm sure it's password protected right? I'm not sure if I were a police officer I would take that as you having a license. A picture on a cell phone? For insurance I don't see a problem because it can be checked against your actual DL. Do the police departments have a policy on this? Is it acceptable? Hard to tell if a license has been altered when looking at it on a cell phone. Would be very easy for me to photoshop my picture onto your license. :lol:
While not a scientifically large sample, I was once pulled over with no license. The officer asked me if I could remember my number at all. I just couldn't remember it. At the end of our visit, he encouraged me to take a picture on my phone.
I do have my DL memorized and have for many years now. I don't have the slightest idea on my CHL number yet though.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

TexasCajun wrote:You are required to present your CHL when carrying under its authority and are asked for ID. However, there is no longer a penalty for not showing your CHL. So if you forget your CHL and are carrying, then you wouldn't face any charges. But it most likely wouldn't be a pleasant day. Some officers may not be 100% up to speed on current CHL laws, so you could conceivably be detained for some time until things get sorted out.
You are mixing up two different concepts and creating an inaccurate conclusion.

When armed under authority of your CHL, it used to be a criminal offense if you did not show your CHL when asked for identification. That criminal offense for not showing your CHL was removed, as you noted.

However, it is still unlawful carry of weapons. Remember, Sec. 46.02 makes it illegal to carry a handgun, and then 46.15(b)(6) makes 46.02 inapplicable to someone carrying a CHL. If an officer finds someone carrying a handgun, then that is unlawful unless one of the exceptions apply. Without a handgun license, one is technically in violation of the law.

Now, granted, once an officer looks a person up in the computer and confirms that person is licensed, it would take a special form of Richard to go ahead and arrest them anyway. However, I'd still not recommend risking a year in jail (Class A Misdemeanor) based on assuming an officer will cut someone a break.
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not: . . .
Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

CowboyPilot

Post by CowboyPilot »

The military is even getting on board with "Soft Copies". I got tagged for random inspection coming on base one day at my last base and didn't have my insurance. I showed them the PDF file from USAA and they weren't good with it because they "Couldn't verify I hadn't forged it". So I asked the SF troop for his email address, emailed it to him, had him print it, then he said I was gtg and let me on base...so many things to be said here...

Fast forward, my current base actually has it written in to their policy that soft copies are just as good as hard copies for insurance (Maybe even registration for states that require you carry that...but I'm Oklahoma resident so iffy on that since we don't have to carry it).

As far as security of documents "on" your phone...a few thoughts:

1.) Keep them in a cloud storage utility (Google Drive, DropBox, etc) so that it can be easily accessed and updated from multiple devices. You can select to "Pin" or "Keep a Local Copy" in most of these programs to ensure that you have access to it even if you don't have service.

2.) Android, starting with Lollipop, and the current version of iOS encrypt storage by default. As long as you have a strong password an attacker is not going to gain access to the data on your phone. For the exceptionally paranoid, Android encrypts with your screen unlock password. You can actually root your phone and manually change the encryption password with cryptfs to something different and more complex and it will use that for the initial unlock at powerup but subsequent screen unlocks can be done with a softer password. Trusted bluetooth pairing is a godsend too when it comes to the hassle of entering a password each time.

3.) The bigger thing that worries me about soft copies: Handing the LEO my phone...my unlocked phone. Not that I have anything on the phone I'm concerned about but you never know what an overzealous individual might do or "find" (After downloading...) to create reasonable suspicion for a search or detainment. I carry hard copies and the soft copy as a backup. I'd rather take the hit for failure to show insurance or DL than hand some unknown dude my phone. Most cities you can just fax them a copy later and they tear up the ticket. Making a Xerox of all this stuff and sticking it in the glovebox of each vehicle as a backup is probably a much better last ditch option that doesn't create additional risk.

Sidenote: Tell your buddy that goes to China to take a burner phone/laptop/etc that isn't linked to any of his real accounts and don't put anything on it he wouldn't willingly hand to the Chinese government. Don't connect said phone to any trusted devices/networks on his return. Same goes for any other near peer countries.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”