It's Not Just Gun Bills Being Stonewalled

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Re: It's Not Just Gun Bills Being Stonewalled

Post by Ruark »

ralewis wrote: My working hypothesis when it comes to politicians is the most risk to them is being perceived as 'do nothings' but they also want to be perceived as 'fighting' for their constituents.
I dunno. As somebody posted, the deadline for getting things onto the House calendar has passed. SB910 hasn't gone to the Senate floor yet, but I'm not sure how their calendar process works. But for sure, unless there's a sea change very, very quickly, come next election, heads are going to roll.
-Ruark

ralewis
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ralewis »

Ruark wrote:
ralewis wrote: My working hypothesis when it comes to politicians is the most risk to them is being perceived as 'do nothings' but they also want to be perceived as 'fighting' for their constituents.
I dunno. As somebody posted, the deadline for getting things onto the House calendar has passed. SB910 hasn't gone to the Senate floor yet, but I'm not sure how their calendar process works. But for sure, unless there's a sea change very, very quickly, come next election, heads are going to roll.
And the possibility that 'heads may roll' due to not getting stuff done is factored into the political self-preservation instinct -- or at least I hope. We'll see how the next few days plays out. Like I said, I'm not as pessimistic as some but I'm by no means supremely confident.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Ruark wrote:
Except for restablishing the Bill of Rights, I wish most polititians were do nothings. Seems every time they do something the working man has to pay for it.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

jason812 wrote: Except for restablishing the Bill of Rights, I wish most polititians were do nothings. Seems every time they do something the working man has to pay for it.
Holy hell, THIS.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

I have my doubts that heads will roll. I am sure some politicians will catch hell from some people, but if they actually catch hell inside their own district, I would be surprised.

Luggo1

Post by Luggo1 »

I wish heads would roll, but unfortunately the vast majority of the gun-owning public is completely uninformed and apathetic on gun issues, the general public worse.

Some people have interest in their niche and that's it. Most people don't care of follow much of anything.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Hard to know what to believe. Here are a couple recent articles that may be of interest.

http://www.expressnews.com/news/politic ... 262202.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/texas/ ... 262546.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

This whole process sickens me. One can say that is the price to pay for a representative republican form of government, but this whole mess goes beyond the pale. Playing little games for their own personal gratification instead of focusing on the business of the state and the people who sent them there. Obviously, as Mr. Cotton said, not just on the bills we want to see go through, either. I guess the worst part is some folks having so much power that they essentially become untouchable. If and when the press gets ahold of the story about Texas not actually passing OC after all the drama, they are going to make a laughingstock out of our state, the Republican Party, and firearms owners, and crow about it, too. The antis are going to use it as propaganda like they're the ones who did that. The same sort of show plays out at the national level, as well. Reminds me of that quote about "the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried"? :mad5 :banghead:

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Not to debate this issue but I see that Patrick had enough time and energy to go on to CNN to discuss a bill about marriage (that will go nowhere).

I'm sorry to say that these folks don't understand that the carry bills are core issues for many and to be so incompetent to what should be easy passage from those who supposedly support it - is just disgusting.

Also, I deeply regret that the OC debate sucked the energy out of much more useful legislation such as campus carry or 308.

:banghead:

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

K.Mooneyham wrote:If and when the press gets ahold of the story about Texas not actually passing OC after all the drama, they are going to make a laughingstock out of our state, the Republican Party, and firearms owners, and crow about it, too. The antis are going to use it as propaganda like they're the ones who did that.
Bloomberg's anti-gun group will be able to fundraise millions ahead of next session: "Last session we stopped the extremist Open Carry and Campus Carry bills. We can do it again but we need your help. DONATE NOW".

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

GEM-Texas wrote:Not to debate this issue but I see that Patrick had enough time and energy to go on to CNN to discuss a bill about marriage (that will go nowhere).

I'm sorry to say that these folks don't understand that the carry bills are core issues for many and to be so incompetent to what should be easy passage from those who supposedly support it - is just disgusting.

Also, I deeply regret that the OC debate sucked the energy out of much more useful legislation such as campus carry or 308.

:banghead:
It's a core issue to many, but how many? I've heard Mr. Cotton say that he prioritizes bills by the number of people they effect. There are almost 30 Million people in Texas. How many people will benefit from HB 910, 308 or campus carry?

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

TXBO wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote: It's a core issue to many, but how many? I've heard Mr. Cotton say that he prioritizes bills by the number of people they effect. There are almost 30 Million people in Texas. How many people will benefit from HB 910, 308 or campus carry?
There are over 800,000 CHL holders in Texas. There were 240,000 new CHL applicants in 2014 alone. By the end of 2015, there will be way over 1,000,000 CHL holders. So you have them, plus non-CHL holders who are sensitive to the issues, TSRA/NRA people are are sensitive in general to gun rights issues, and so on.

Keep in mind also that about 10 million of that 30 million is under 21. So if you're looking at CHL-eligible adults, 1 in 20 already has a CHL, and the count is steadily increasing.

That's a pretty big chunk of voters to have rooting for you.... or against you.
-Ruark

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

Ruark wrote:
TXBO wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote: It's a core issue to many, but how many? I've heard Mr. Cotton say that he prioritizes bills by the number of people they effect. There are almost 30 Million people in Texas. How many people will benefit from HB 910, 308 or campus carry?
There are over 800,000 CHL holders in Texas. There were 240,000 new CHL applicants in 2014 alone. By the end of 2015, there will be way over 1,000,000 CHL holders. So you have them, plus non-CHL holders who are sensitive to the issues, TSRA/NRA people are are sensitive in general to gun rights issues, and so on. That's a pretty big chunk of voters to have on your side.... or not.
Fair enough. Now compare that to the number of people that would benefit from property and business tax decreases.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

We shouldn't overestimate how many favor campus or open carry. I have many friends that own guns, hunt regularly and are generally what I'd call "gun guys" that don't give one whit about open carry our campus carry. Some didn't even know bills had been filed much less know their status.

Some are even against open and concealed carry.
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu May 14, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:We shouldn't overestimate how many favor campus or open carry. I have many friends that own guns, hunt regularly and are generally what I'd call "gun guys" that don't give one whit about open carry our campus carry. Some didn't even know bills had been filed much less know their status.

Are even against open and concealed carry.
I absolutely agree.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”