Car burglaries = gun jackpot

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Car burglaries = gun jackpot

Post by Scott B. »

In Lufkin over a 24 hr period, "Out of the 13 burglaries, Lufkin PD reports that nine guns were taken out of the cars. The guns are now on the streets."

http://www.ktre.com/story/29280405/lufk ... n-24-hours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Car burglaries = gun jackpot

Post by The Wall »

That's why I have a safe in my truck under the back seat. It's bolted to the floor. Nothings perfect but I'm thinking it would take someone a while to get it open if they knew a way to open it and had the right tools with them at the time. Don't think most thieves would want to risk taking the time to do that. Much more secure than any glove box. Seems to me this would be a good reason to allow CHL everywhere so we wouldn't have to lock them up in our vehicles. Might be something to keep tabs on for next session.

howdy

Post by howdy »

It appears most of these break ins were done at the victims home. I would never leave a gun in my car overnight.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I only lock my gun in the car (in a NanoVault cabled to the seat) when I need to disarm to go into a "gun-free zone."

I suspect that if we had fewer "gun-free zones" we would also have fewer car burglaries that result in a gun being stolen.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

mr1337 wrote:I only lock my gun in the car (in a NanoVault cabled to the seat) when I need to disarm to go into a "gun-free zone."

I suspect that if we had fewer "gun-free zones" we would also have fewer car burglaries that result in a gun being stolen.
I suspect that the majority of the weapons stolen are from people carrying under MPA as opposed to CHL. I base this conclusion on the theory that the number of people carrying under MPA greatly out numbers those carrying under CHL. Reducing the "gun-free zones" would not affect those carrying under MPA.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

While reading these postings I had a thought. Many folks, me included like to put NRA, and other gun related decals on their vehicles. I'm starting to wonder if this is such a good idea. I'm wondering if those decals are an invitation for thieves. Just walk through a parking garage and look for gun decals and bumper stickers. Would be an interesting survey question for those that have had their guns stolen from their vehicles.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

The Wall wrote:While reading these postings I had a thought. Many folks, me included like to put NRA, and other gun related decals on their vehicles. I'm starting to wonder if this is such a good idea. I'm wondering if those decals are an invitation for thieves. Just walk through a parking garage and look for gun decals and bumper stickers. Would be an interesting survey question for those that have had their guns stolen from their vehicles.
Of course they are. It's almost like putting a "nobody's home" sign on your front door when you leave.

It's not a 100% chance that there's a gun in the car, but the chances are much, much higher that there might be.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

TVGuy wrote:
The Wall wrote:While reading these postings I had a thought. Many folks, me included like to put NRA, and other gun related decals on their vehicles. I'm starting to wonder if this is such a good idea. I'm wondering if those decals are an invitation for thieves. Just walk through a parking garage and look for gun decals and bumper stickers. Would be an interesting survey question for those that have had their guns stolen from their vehicles.
Of course they are. It's almost like putting a "nobody's home" sign on your front door when you leave.

It's not a 100% chance that there's a gun in the car, but the chances are much, much higher that there might be.
:iagree:

This is the only reason that I don't proudly advertise my NRA support and membership on my vehicle. I very seldom leave my weapon in the car anyways unless it is in a secured area.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

misterlarry wrote:
TVGuy wrote:

:iagree:

This is the only reason that I don't proudly advertise my NRA support and membership on my vehicle. I very seldom leave my weapon in the car anyways unless it is in a secured area.
I have my NRA Life Member decals on front and rear windows and TSRA decal on rear window. I have had them on all my vehicles for over 10 years. Never had any kind of break in. I also do not leave my gun in my vehicle unless in gun free zone, like college classes.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I really like the Come and Take It version of the license plate. However, I'm hesitant to get it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

mojo84 wrote:I really like the Come and Take It version of the license plate. However, I'm hesitant to get it.
Would that be tantamount to advertising to come & take it? :biggrinjester: Just Kidding!!!

I didn't even know that kind of license plate existed. Link please?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

joe817 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I really like the Come and Take It version of the license plate. However, I'm hesitant to get it.
Would that be tantamount to advertising to come & take it? :biggrinjester: Just Kidding!!!

I believe it is like $300, neighbor HAD one.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I haven't researched it. Just saw one on an SUV a day or so ago.

Here's the link. http://www.myplates.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

suthdj wrote:
joe817 wrote:

Ouch! Fleeting thought! VERY fleeting! :cool: :lol::
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

joe817 wrote:
suthdj wrote:
joe817 wrote:

Ouch! Fleeting thought! VERY fleeting! :cool: :lol::

Actually, $35

Return to “The Crime Blotter”