Gas Monkey Bar & Grill

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tkc723
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gas Monkey Bar & Grill

Post by tkc723 »

Doesn't matter. Unless they have removed it, texas3006.com shows them having a 30.06 sign.

Topic author
txglock21
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txglock21 »

tkc723 wrote:Doesn't matter. Unless they have removed it, texas3006.com shows them having a 30.06 sign.
I saw no 30.06 sign and I walked all around the place after eating. Also, it does matter, even if they had a 30.06 to the TABC. :tiphat:

EDIT: After reading my post, it sounded like I was arguing with you when I wasn't. I just meant, if it is 30.06 posted, I didn't see it and believe me, I looked all around. Sorry if it sounded harsh, it wasn't intended. :oops:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

tkc723

Post by tkc723 »

No offense taken. I'm just going by texas3006. I haven't actually been there to see if it is posted or not. I wanted to, but decided to skip it when I saw it was posted.

Topic author
txglock21
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txglock21 »

tkc723 wrote:No offense taken. I'm just going by texas3006. I haven't actually been there to see if it is posted or not. I wanted to, but decided to skip it when I saw it was posted.
If you are into the show and willing disarm (for now), I highly recommend going there. I usually don't recommend places, but I really liked it. The food was surprisingly good (at least what I had). The prices are a little high, but not outrageous. I'm a big fan of the show and casually knew (a friend of a friend) Richard Rawlings before he got "famous". He is a super nice guy and I find it hard to believe he is promoting no carry there. I can't confirm this, but I think he has his CHL. I will definitely go back, even if I can't carry there. I will take pictures next time of the 51% sign if it's still there and definitely be on the lookout for any 30.06. YMMV :cheers2:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

[sidebar]I get my hair cut at a barbershop owned by the guy who owns Gas Monkey Garage. That guy is into a lot of different stuff.[/sidebar]
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

The Annoyed Man wrote:[sidebar]I get my hair cut at a barbershop owned by the guy who owns Gas Monkey Garage. That guy is into a lot of different stuff.[/sidebar]
As much as they show him messing with his hair on the TV show you would think that him owning a barbershop would be mentioned a time or three on the show (one of the many reasons I never watch the show). I want to say that Rawlings has a second business/location that deals with alcohol sales as well, not 100% sure but I remember someone from a DFW area Jeep club talking about them having meetings at both locations.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Vitticeps

Post by Vitticeps »

TABC records show for last month that Gas Monkey paid $20,813.75 in mixed beverage taxes. The mixed beverage tax is 6.7% so that means they took in $310,652.98 in alcohol sales. For them not to be 51%, they would have to have sold more than $310,000 in food in May. As a restaurant manager myself, I don't see any way possible that they could sell that much food in one month. Since they are a live music venue, I assume most of that revenue is from alcohol sales during concerts.

For May 2015, they were 89th in liquor sales in the state out of 15,255 establishments. I doubt any of the top 100 are 'blue' establishments.

The blue status on the TABC website will almost certainly be upped to red when they renew. They haven't been open a full 2 years yet so this is their first renewal and first time the blue/red status is being determined by actual sales data.

But, I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to go there sometime.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Vitticeps,

You made one minor mistake in your calculations that might make a difference. The sales that are not alcohol do not have to be food. They could be souvenirs or similar items, and even ore likely they are ticket sales. The law says all income, so ticket sales get included. The TABC app asks for income from alcohol sales, food, and other.

In my experience, most live music venues are actually blue licenses because they include the gate in their total. The only places that should be 51% are those places that actually look like the traditional image of a bar - someplace where someone goes just for the drink.
Steve Rothstein

Vitticeps

Post by Vitticeps »

I didn't realize that ticket and merchandise sales factored in. That's good to know.

TonyG

Post by TonyG »

What I am wondering, is if TABC has places post a red sign during there renewal process? I ask this, because a local place I drink at in Dallas coounty recently had a inspection for there renewal and the inspector only brought them out a red sign, and their sales are definitely under 51% and are still listed as blue on there current license, expiring next month. The owner doesn't have anything against guns but isn't up on all the gun laws himself and was surprised to hear that you could carry where alcohol was served, but wasn't particularly worried about it.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Someone made a mistake with the sign. Not all of TABC's employees are as up on the finer points of this law as I would like. I am guessing the inspector just grabbed the wrong sign, though it could also be a misunderstanding on the part of the licensee or the inspector. Without being involved in the case itself, I can't tell who/where the mistake was made, just see the final results as a mistake.
Steve Rothstein

PvilleStang

Post by PvilleStang »

I'll bite. I filed a complaint with TABC of a local hippie food joint in Austin that was posting 51% when the only alcohol they sold was bottled beer (for a burger joint). No pictures, nothing but "Location is displaying 51% Red signs at the door, and database states they should be blue". Signs were swapped within a week or two. I have refused to go back to that place on pure principle, though.
Hook 'em!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”