Trying something out

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

nightmare69
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Trying something out

#1756

Post by nightmare69 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Rant. I've been staying in a small town while working and I can say that small town folk are simple minded, nosy, and spread gossip like wildfire. No disrespect to anyone who loves the small town way of life, this is just my observation. I've never met so many people who have nothing else to do other than worry about other peoples business. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like having diversity and things to do. If it wasn't for the traffic I would move to Dallas.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

User avatar

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Trying something out

#1757

Post by nightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:10 pm

nightmare69 wrote:I've never met so many people who have nothing else to do other than worry about other peoples business.
Sounds like part of the job description. :lol:
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1758

Post by LikesShinyThings » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:31 pm

nightmare69 wrote:Rant. I've been staying in a small town while working and I can say that small town folk are simple minded, nosy, and spread gossip like wildfire. No disrespect to anyone who loves the small town way of life, this is just my observation. I've never met so many people who have nothing else to do other than worry about other peoples business. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like having diversity and things to do. If it wasn't for the traffic I would move to Dallas.
<laughing in understanding> See, some would call that being neighborly or being friendly. ;-) (I'm sorta joking, but I do know what you're getting at.)

I live in one of those small towns. Just today, as I was trying to leave my house to go to an appointment and had to wait for the garbage truck (sitting in the middle of our barely-two-cars-wide street) to ... let the passenger guy finish drinking his water, putter around inside the cab, get out, stroll to the back of the truck, toss the two cans' trash into the back of the truck, and wave the driver to pull forward to the next driveway (and off to just one side of the road to allow to pass both myself and now another vehicle as well)... I was thinking to myself "only in a small town do you have people doing this sort of thing *on a regular basis*!!!" No, I didn't get upset, but I did shake my head at the small town attitude. This is the same one where people REGULARLY drive their not-street-legal golf carts around on the roads.

Still, I have to admit being happy in my sleepy little town.

Side thought - how many of those nosy busybodies are retired? I wonder if it is a 'retired' thing as much as a 'small town' thing. Just musing ideas, here.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

User avatar

nightmare69
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2031
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Trying something out

#1759

Post by nightmare69 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:15 pm

nightmare wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I've never met so many people who have nothing else to do other than worry about other peoples business.
Sounds like part of the job description. :lol:

Looks like a thug, acts like a thug...

I only ask those questions to the above.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 22
Posts: 6513
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Trying something out

#1760

Post by Pawpaw » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Two thirds of our city hall building houses city hall, utilities billing & payment (water & trash) and the mucicipal court. Jury deliberations are held in one of only two offices in there.

The other third is a pizza parlor.

I love small towns!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1761

Post by sjfcontrol » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Eleven plus two = twelve plus one

Debit card = bad credit

???
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 68
Posts: 17009
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Trying something out

#1762

Post by WildBill » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Pawpaw wrote:Two thirds of our city hall building houses city hall, utilities billing & payment (water & trash) and the mucicipal court. Jury deliberations are held in one of only two offices in there.

The other third is a pizza parlor.

I love small towns!
At least you can get something to eat while you are waiting in line to pay your water bill or convict someone.
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 22
Posts: 6513
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Trying something out

#1763

Post by Pawpaw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:25 pm

WildBill wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Two thirds of our city hall building houses city hall, utilities billing & payment (water & trash) and the mucicipal court. Jury deliberations are held in one of only two offices in there.

The other third is a pizza parlor.

I love small towns!
At least you can get something to eat while you are waiting in line to pay your water bill or convict someone.
Heck, we don't even have enough people to make a line! :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


Hindenburg
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Trying something out

#1764

Post by Hindenburg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Two thirds of our city hall building houses city hall, utilities billing & payment (water & trash) and the mucicipal court. Jury deliberations are held in one of only two offices in there.

The other third is a pizza parlor.

I love small towns!
At least you can get something to eat while you are waiting in line to pay your water bill or convict someone.
Heck, we don't even have enough people to make a line! :lol:
I hope they have enough people for the pizza to be fresh.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 22
Posts: 6513
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Trying something out

#1765

Post by Pawpaw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Hindenburg wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Two thirds of our city hall building houses city hall, utilities billing & payment (water & trash) and the mucicipal court. Jury deliberations are held in one of only two offices in there.

The other third is a pizza parlor.

I love small towns!
At least you can get something to eat while you are waiting in line to pay your water bill or convict someone.
Heck, we don't even have enough people to make a line! :lol:
I hope they have enough people for the pizza to be fresh.
As a matter of fact, it's the best pizza on the planet, as far as my family is concerned. :mrgreen:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Dadtodabone
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Re: Trying something out

#1766

Post by Dadtodabone » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:39 am

sjfcontrol wrote:Eleven plus two = twelve plus one

Debit card = bad credit

???
Anagrams
Mother-in Law = Woman Hitler
Funeral = Real Fun
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1767

Post by sjfcontrol » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:14 am

Dadtodabone wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Eleven plus two = twelve plus one

Debit card = bad credit

???
Anagrams
Mother-in Law = Woman Hitler
Funeral = Real Fun
Ding, Ding, Ding :mrgreen:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


victory
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Re: Trying something out

#1768

Post by victory » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 am

sjfcontrol wrote: Ding, Ding, Ding :mrgreen:
[video][/video]

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1969
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Trying something out

#1769

Post by Vol Texan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 am

Dadtodabone wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Eleven plus two = twelve plus one

Debit card = bad credit

???
Anagrams
Mother-in Law = Woman Hitler
Funeral = Real Fun
More anagrams

Some are on-target (Jennifer Aniston: Fine In Torn Jeans) and others are way, way off (Ronald Reagan: Insane Anglo Warlord), but all have a bit of humor.

PRESBYTERIAN: Best In Prayer
ASTRONOMER: Moon Starer
DESPERATION: A Rope Ends It
THE EYES: They See
GEORGE BUSH: He Bugs Gore
THE MORSE CODE: Here Come Dots
DORMITORY: Dirty Room
SLOT MACHINES: Cash Lost In Me
ANIMOSITY: Is No Amity
ELECTION RESULTS: Lies-Let's Recount
SNOOZE ALARMS: Alas-No More Z's
A DECIMAL POINT: I'm A Dot In Place
CLINT EASTWOOD: Old West Action
MICROSOFT WINDOWS: Sown In Discomfort
THE TITANIC DISASTER: Death, It Starts In Ice
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: Creep Brings Tunes
DAVID LETTERMAN: Nerd Amid Late TV
LAXATIVE: Exit Lava
STATUE OF LIBERTY: Built To Stay Free
EVANGELIST: Evil's Agent
DANCING WITH THE STARS: Winners Had Tight Acts
YEAR TWO THOUSAND: A Year To Shut Down
CHRISTMAS: Trims Cash
A GENTLEMAN: Elegant Man
LISTEN: Silent
GARBAGE MAN: Bag Manager
A DOMESTICATED ANIMAL: Docile, As A Man Tamed It
A SHOPLIFTER: Has To Pilfer
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE: I'll Make A Wise Phrase
WAITRESS: A Stew, Sir?
ACHIEVEMENTS: Nice, Save Them
WESTERN UNION: No Wire Unsent
JENNIFER ANISTON: Fine In Torn Jeans
PRINCESS DIANA: End Is A Car Spin
BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD: Thus, Be A Bad Deviant
CONFESSIONAL: On Scale Of Sin
SPICE GIRLS: Pig Slices
SHERLOCK HOLMES: He'll Mesh Crooks
CONVERSATION: Voices Rant On
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: Attaineth Its Cause, Freedom
SHOWER TIME: Where Moist
GEOLOGIST: Go Get Oils
ACTOR SYLVESTER STALLONE: Very Cool Talentless Star
A TELESCOPE: To See Place
SNOOZE ALARMS: Alas! No More Z's
HOWARD STERN: Retard Shown
GENE SIMMONS: Immense Song
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE: I’m A Jerk But Listen
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS: Fascinating, No Scars
JAY LENO: Enjoy L.A.
CLOTHESPINS: So Let's Pinch
BARBIE DOLL: Liberal Bod
MADONNA LOUISE CICCONE: One Cool Dance Musician
TOM CRUISE: So I'm Cuter
PRE-CALCULUS: Call Up Curse
FUNERAL: Real Fun
FLAMETHROWER: Oh, Felt Warmer
RONALD WILSON REAGAN: Insane Anglo Warlord
HOT WATER: Worth Tea
THE COUNTRY SIDE: No City Dust Here
MARGARET THATCHER: That Great Charmer
GOODBYE: Obey God
DARLING I LOVE YOU: Avoiding Our Yell
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor & NRA Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Armored Cav. | Tennessee Squire

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1770

Post by sjfcontrol » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:34 am

Tortoise

Have you ever sniffed a tortoise,
Or tasted one that's fried?
Of course you might have said you did,
But then you might have lied.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”