Bump stop ban signed today

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6465
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Bump stop ban signed today

#1

Post by philip964 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:15 pm

President signed today

And you got nothing for it.

Fox News going all anti gun with the announcement.

Pro gun people did not get in front of it and now loses.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 3440
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#2

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 pm

philip964 wrote:President signed today

And you got nothing for it.

Fox News going all anti gun with the announcement.

Pro gun people did not get in front of it and now loses.
I can't find this anywhere. Can you link to a source?

I'm curious to know the specifics like bump stocks only, or any "rapid fire devices" like clothing / ties, also is this retroactive / confiscation?
Ding dong, the witch is dead


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#3

Post by montgomery » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
philip964 wrote:President signed today

And you got nothing for it.

Fox News going all anti gun with the announcement.

Pro gun people did not get in front of it and now loses.
I can't find this anywhere. Can you link to a source?

I'm curious to know the specifics like bump stocks only, or any "rapid fire devices" like clothing / ties, also is this retroactive / confiscation?
Google "Trump Sessions Bump Stock"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/20/trump-s ... -guns.html

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 10703
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#4

Post by Oldgringo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:27 pm

No surprise there and guess what.....it's gonna' get worse before it gets better. Look for high (?) capacity magazines next.


philbo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#5

Post by philbo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Trump orders regulations drawn up to ban bump stocks
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1G42T1

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1915
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#6

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Last edited by TexasJohnBoy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#7

Post by jason812 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I think bump stocks and binary triggers are a waste of ammo but if they are going to become illegal, I might have to buy one. And I was saving my allowance for something else :banghead:

Do I have to cut my belt loops off now?


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 3440
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#8

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

philbo wrote:Trump orders regulations drawn up to ban bump stocks
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1G42T1
Is there anything on Trump actually signing a ban? Or is this just an order to develop regulations?

If they are just drawing up regulations, then we will need to wait to see what this means. Are they going to ban everything that could be used for bump firing, or just a specific type of stock? How do I register a piece of plastic with the ATF? Do I get a tax stamp for it? Is it only an issue once it goes on a firearm? What will the process be for getting an NFA stamp? When is this effective? Is it retroactive? If it is retroactive, am I required to dispose of legally owned bump stocks in a specific manner or can I just toss them into a lake somewhere? Is this the end of legal shoe laces, string, belt loops, etc., or can I continue to bump fire all I want using things other than a specifically designed stock?

Enforcement will be another can of worms altogether. If this includes "all" devices that could be used to facilitate rapid fire, then how do I get Pelosi arrested when she shows up on TV wearing something that meets the definition? That might actually be fun.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#9

Post by TheFriscoKid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Oi vay. He signed a memo that makes a recommendation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/20/trump-s ... -guns.html

Any other news to report from the Chicken Little Newsdesk of Hyperbole ?


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 3440
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#10

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:50 pm

jason812 wrote:I think bump stocks and binary triggers are a waste of ammo but if they are going to become illegal, I might have to buy one. And I was saving my allowance for something else :banghead:

Do I have to cut my belt loops off now?
Apparently stock analysts and big investors don't believe anything will actually come of this since Ruger's stock is down almost 4% today. I can also find entry level AR's for sale at just over $500 on Buds. If there is any truth to the hysteria, it hasn't led to panic buying. Yet.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


roadkill
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#11

Post by roadkill » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Image

Looks to be just a continuation from the Vegas shooting and he’s not seeking a specific ruling just to issue a final ruling on the issue

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 10703
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#12

Post by Oldgringo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 pm

roadkill wrote:
{snip}

Looks to be just a continuation from the Vegas shooting and he’s not seeking a specific ruling just to issue a final ruling on the issue
Look again, that memo bears today's date. You also may note the use of the word "immediately'?


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 3440
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#13

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
roadkill wrote:
{snip}

Looks to be just a continuation from the Vegas shooting and he’s not seeking a specific ruling just to issue a final ruling on the issue
Look again, that memo bears today's date. You also may note the use of the word "immediately'?
The only "immediate" I see is "for immediate release". Is that what you are referring to?
Ding dong, the witch is dead


roadkill
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#14

Post by roadkill » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:29 pm

It stems from the Vegas incident and looking into bumpstock legality. All this memo does is ask to finish up their review of bumpstock definition and the machine gun laws

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8655
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Bump stop ban signed today

#15

Post by Beiruty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Bump stocks or binary devices does not turn a semi-automatic to a machine gun. As machine gun (fully automatic weapon) one-press on the trigger multiple-bullets fired)
So, If Obama administration said it is legal, nothing changed to make it illegal.

2 things they can do:
1) require further checks and may require a registration and any transfer is via and FFL
2) Conclude it is not illegal to own and the only way to ban or regulate the use is via a new Federal Law

2) is more likely as such devices are accessories and it would arbitrary to regulate said devices rather than say flashlights or optics
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Post Reply

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”