"American Sniper" author murdered at Rough Creek Lodge

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Re: "American Sniper" author murdered at Rough Creek Lodge

Post by A-R »

Another video interview

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0 ... 30,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R

Post by A-R »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... ol-speech/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

The plan also requires that when a mental health professional determines a gun owner is likely to hurt himself or others, the risk must be reported and the gun removed by law enforcement.
Now I know what the vomit smilie is for. If,when I'm being "screened" I say that I'm going to use the gun for home defense I'm going to be denied because I would be likely to harm another (intruder) with it. Hmmm :totap:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KD5NRH »

Even worse, there was a murder on the other side of the county the day before, making three murders in one week for a county that normally sees about three a year.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Dave2 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:Cue the liberal-progressive media slant against servicemembers with PTSD in 3, 2, 1...
The liberal-progressive collectivists will further push the PTSD as an issue to disarm veterans. This comined with the DHS labeling veterans as potential terrorists will play right into the gun grabbing confiscation plans.
IMHO, PTSD is not understood well-enough to justify disarming all who have it.

I'd love to know how the soldiers coming back from WWI & WWII dealt with their issues... I don't recall hearing about many shootings after either of those wars, or even after Vietnam. Maybe they just didn't make the ....
Google it... You will be surprised how often it has been an issue. There was no Internet in WW2 or in Vietnam to get word out... But oh yes... It was a problem. Here is just one of thousands of links. http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/07 ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

baldeagle wrote:I can't wrap my head around this. I hope the shooter tries to explain why he did it, because it makes no sense to me at all. Chris was trying to help him. The thanks he gets is being shot to death? It might be PTSD, but there's got to be more to it.
I read an article that said the killer used a handgun to murder Kyle and Littlefield. And Kyle was reported to have been set to teach a "precision rifle class", not handguns. So, if true, it would at least seem that the killer must have had handgun on him loaded when he arrived at the range, and it was concealed. That, to me, is NOT PTSD, but premeditated murder...and if that is true, then what was the motive? I hope this guy makes it to trial.

03Lightningrocks

K.Mooneyham wrote:
baldeagle wrote:I can't wrap my head around this. I hope the shooter tries to explain why he did it, because it makes no sense to me at all. Chris was trying to help him. The thanks he gets is being shot to death? It might be PTSD, but there's got to be more to it.
I read an article that said the killer used a handgun to murder Kyle and Littlefield. And Kyle was reported to have been set to teach a "precision rifle class", not handguns. So, if true, it would at least seem that the killer must have had handgun on him loaded when he arrived at the range, and it was concealed. That, to me, is NOT PTSD, but premeditated murder...and if that is true, then what was the motive? I hope this guy makes it to trial.
I am no attorney so I have to ask. Would calling it PTSD be an out that would be similar to pleading insanity?

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:Cue the liberal-progressive media slant against servicemembers with PTSD in 3, 2, 1...
The liberal-progressive collectivists will further push the PTSD as an issue to disarm veterans. This comined with the DHS labeling veterans as potential terrorists will play right into the gun grabbing confiscation plans.
IMHO, PTSD is not understood well-enough to justify disarming all who have it.

I'd love to know how the soldiers coming back from WWI & WWII dealt with their issues... I don't recall hearing about many shootings after either of those wars, or even after Vietnam. Maybe they just didn't make the ....
Google it... You will be surprised how often it has been an issue. There was no Internet in WW2 or in Vietnam to get word out... But oh yes... It was a problem. Here is just one of thousands of links. http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/07 ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It would seem to me that the reason our folks suffer from things like PTSD is that our society teaches that killing folks is wrong, period. I'm not saying that as a moral judgement, just as a statement of observation. But, I do seriously doubt those Taliban guys lie awake worrying about the folks they've killed or maimed. And there have been a lot of other societies throughout history that haven't really had a problem with the taking of human lives, though often tempered by the circumstances of who or when they were killing.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baldeagle »

K.Mooneyham wrote:It would seem to me that the reason our folks suffer from things like PTSD is that our society teaches that killing folks is wrong, period. I'm not saying that as a moral judgement, just as a statement of observation. But, I do seriously doubt those Taliban guys lie awake worrying about the folks they've killed or maimed. And there have been a lot of other societies throughout history that haven't really had a problem with the taking of human lives, though often tempered by the circumstances of who or when they were killing.
I doubt that seriously. There are things you see in combat that are beyond anything you can imagine unless you've been in combat yourself. War does awful things to human bodies. Many people can't get those images out of their heads. There may be a few for whom killing someone is a traumatic experience, but that experience pales in comparison to some of the other things they see.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Jim Beaux wrote:....The way Kyle explains it in his book, Ventura is technically a Seal, but he isnt one of today's type of seal. Much has changed since Ventura's time & the training & the standards of today are much more rigorous & stringent. Kyle implied that he didnt think Ventura could have qualified to be a modern day Seal.
Which is something Seals and all Spec-ops types would take offense to.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

03Lightningrocks

Hey folks... Before we all get to side tracked by the PTSD topic... There is a topic on it running here... viewtopic.php?f=83&t=62645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would not have made the post bove about it had I known it was a separate topic. Sorry to take away from the very sad topic here.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

OT a bit, but something to consider in context of the thread...
K.Mooneyham wrote:It would seem to me that the reason our folks suffer from things like PTSD is that our society teaches that killing folks is wrong, period. I'm not saying that as a moral judgement, just as a statement of observation. But, I do seriously doubt those Taliban guys lie awake worrying about the folks they've killed or maimed. And there have been a lot of other societies throughout history that haven't really had a problem with the taking of human lives, though often tempered by the circumstances of who or when they were killing.
The theory behind PTSD (and/or Critical Incident Stress Disorder - something that was explored heavily in the police/fire/EMS community in the late 70's and 80's) is that sometimes things happen that overstress our mind's ability to deal with them, and that certain smells, noises, situations, tastes, almost any sense, can bring about a re-observation of that event. Sometimes these interruptions are intense and long-lasting - sometimes they resolve themselves over a period of time. For example, when I came back from Vietnam, where I got to see and, in a small way, participate in a couple of very horrendous incidents, I had a problem with helicopters, specifically the whupping noise of a Slick, a UH-1, up close and loud noises. Those, you might think, would be perfectly normal reactions. But, when my new wife burned some a couple of chickens (she didn't realize you had to thaw them before you roasted them) - the vision and smell of that partially incinerated chicken threw me into a state of panic for several hours. Luckily, Pam had an idea what was going on and was able to talk me down, since I hadn't reacted violently, like some of my returning vet-mates had done to their spouses when they reacted to recurrences (flashbacks) in which their life was more directly threatened by my situations. These were by no means the total list of problems I had after Vietnam, but will serve to show that my symptoms and intrusions were rather mild, all things considered, and I'm so very thankful for that - I still have the same wife (though now she's a heck of a chef), a great family, and a life that I might not have had had by problems been much worse. When I was attempting to finish my degree in the early 90's, I met with several guys that served when I had, that had had a lot more problems with PTSD, and were still dealing with it, with some having greater success than others.

We all knew the grunt that could go out into an AO, wind up in a firefight, find a VC's body and make jokes about the Gomer while searching the body for documents or weapons or souvenirs, then go back into the unit area in the morning and ask for chilli and mac after seeing a body with it's head blown into roadkill. Others took a bit more time to get over it. And that's with the bad guys taking the most damage, which the Taliban certainly would think of any of the allied forces would be. So, no, I wouldn't expect any of them to loose sleep over an incident that killed lots of Americans.

Someone forced to shoot someone in close to them, say a family member, or perhaps someone presented with sudden unanticipated violence that has to react with force to save their life might get the same symptoms - people will definitely react differently.

If someone has multiple occurrences, in which they fear for their life constantly for a period of while, the emotions and reactions certainly would be more intense than someone with a single incident. The inability to process those feelings and emotions in a normal way is what defines PTSD.

BTW - while I worked as an EMT, I got interested in helping others in the EMS/fire/police community and got involved with the Critical Incident Stress training that was going on throughout the country - and continued my own personal study of PTSD in the EMS community while I worked as a paramedic for the next 20 years. So, that's where I'm getting my background info. I can give you lots of links for info to look at if you're interested.

Wayne
Last edited by n5wd on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

baldeagle wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:... There are things you see in combat that are beyond anything you can imagine unless you've been in combat yourself. War does awful things to human bodies. Many people can't get those images out of their heads. There may be a few for whom killing someone is a traumatic experience, but that experience pales in comparison to some of the other things they see.
And, not really too strangely, other senses are also triggers: smells (for me, burnt flesh is still a problem)... sounds... etc. And when the triggers occur simultaneously....

philip964

Post by philip964 »

PTSD to me would not disqualify someone from trial. Someone who has PTSD is still aware of what is right or wrong and would understand a judicial proceeding and would be able to assist in their defense.

Someone who has PTSD does not hear voices telling them to kill, is not paranoid thinking everyone is out to get them, they see reality as it is and are generally able to normally function in society.

It is terrible that this has happened. My deepest sympathy for his family and friends.

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

What a tragedy. I read his book and watched several of his tv interviews. He was a true American Hero.

I am so saddened for his wife and children.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Return to “The Crime Blotter”