Video, 55 secs: Minn. LEO kills bat-wielding 17 year old.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Video, 55 secs: Minn. LEO kills bat-wielding 17 year old.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/179008/

When you click on the above link's video section, you get a short ad for the
U Minnesota @ Duluth team, then the dashcam video kicks in and is only
55 seconds long.

It is a vicious attack by a drunken 17 year old boy. He shatters the police
car's driver's door window, forcing the LEO to shoot the teen.

The teen had the bat upraised to strike the officer in the head. The LEO was
seatbelted in and had already backed up 210 feet, but hit a parked Jeep
and was wedged in.

The officer fired one round from his Smith and Wesson M & P, .40, which
hit the perp in the armpit, consistent with an upraised arm, while using the
bat for attack.

The above link also includes a full text of the night's events.

It's scary when someone loses it, but I'm glad the LEO was OK.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Video, 55 secs: Minn. LEO kills bat-wielding 17 year old

Post by Excaliber »

This video is an outstanding example of just how quickly things can get really bad for no reason that makes any sense to anyone.

The officer in this case had a number of options and extended decision time because he was inside an operational vehicle when the attack started, and he used all his non force options before employing deadly force. When one is up close and without the protection of a vehicle or other partial cover, the time frames and options are even more compressed than those in the video.

The officer in this case managed a very difficult situation as well as the circumstances permitted. When he determined that deadly force was required, he fired only one shot, and immediately called for an ambulance. He also remained in control of his voice and made coherent and appropriate radio transmissions despite the extreme stress he was under. That is one well trained and highly competent police officer. His department should be proud of him.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Just nuts. Look how the kid attacked the police car with no provocation. He also went straight to the driver side. So, crazy!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

He also remained in control of his voice and made coherent and appropriate radio transmissions despite the extreme stress he was under. That is one well trained and highly competent police officer. His department should be proud of him.
Agree %100.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The officer did what he had to do. Tough business, but I think he acted with great restraint, and he earlier showed great compassion to the kid when he gave him the ride home.
Toxicology tests indicated that Carl had a blood-alcohol content of .115 and a urine drug screen tested positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive substance found in the cannabis plant.
By all means.... Let's legalize pot. :roll:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pbwalker »

whoa...this was my home town before I moved to TX.

DPD are a good group of officers! Good job Officer Keane.

Re: TAM's comment about pot, how about we prohibit alcohol first?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

psijac

Post by psijac »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The officer did what he had to do. Tough business, but I think he acted with great restraint, and he earlier showed great compassion to the kid when he gave him the ride home.
Toxicology tests indicated that Carl had a blood-alcohol content of .115 and a urine drug screen tested positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive substance found in the cannabis plant.
That's the only way to stop Mexican drug lords
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

That officer did everything possible to avoid using deadly force. He has higest LEO marks in my book.

He originally gave the kid a heck of a break by giving him a ride home and releasing him to his father after he ticketed him for under-aged drinking.

Sad for the officer to have to live with this on his mind. Sad for the parents as well.
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
It wasn't the THC that stimulated the rage, it was the alcohol. Most cops will tell you that perps that are _only_ stoned on pot are the least aggressive of the bunch, with Alcohol being the worst by orders of magnitude.

This isn't a statement for or against legalization, just that your conclusion is based on contrary evidence.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

lkd wrote: It wasn't the THC that stimulated the rage, it was the alcohol. Most cops will tell you that perps that are _only_ stoned on pot are the least aggressive of the bunch, with Alcohol being the worst by orders of magnitude.

This isn't a statement for or against legalization, just that your conclusion is based on contrary evidence.
It's because they are on an eternal quest for that Hershey Bar! :lol:

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

psijac wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The officer did what he had to do. Tough business, but I think he acted with great restraint, and he earlier showed great compassion to the kid when he gave him the ride home.
Really? So what do you do about the cocaine? Legalize that too? What about the black tar heroin? Legalize that as well? Where does it end?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

baldeagle wrote:
psijac wrote:
Really? So what do you do about the cocaine? Legalize that too? What about the black tar heroin? Legalize that as well? Where does it end?
at personal responsibility...

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I am guessing the teen got into an argument with dad after the officer brought him home. By the time the officer was called back out, the teen had gone off the deep end of mindless fury. I remember when my son was between the ages of 15 and 18, he could get really angry out of proportion to reality. That age seems to be rough for having adequate control of emotions. I got the impression mom and dad did not reside at the same house so family problems may have had a part too. My heart goes out to the officer and to the teen's family. I see no way the officer could have done anything differently unless it had been to try using a taser if he had one.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

baldeagle wrote:
psijac wrote:
Alcohol kills thousands of people on an annual basis but is perfectly legal, though regulated. I see it as a much bigger problem than some idiot smoking a doobie and lusting for a Hostess Ding Dong.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

pbwalker wrote:whoa...this was my home town before I moved to TX.

DPD are a good group of officers! Good job Officer Keane.

Re: TAM's comment about pot, how about we prohibit alcohol first?
We've been there, done that. It was called Prohibition. It worked as well as the war on drugs.

It led to high prices for a simple substance that was sought after by large portions of the population, and gave rise to a violent underworld of folks to supply it while enriching themselves and corrupting legions of government officials to look the other way to protect the profits. Everybody who wanted alcohol had no trouble getting it - they just had to pay artificially high premiums above the cost of production to pay for the risk the sellers took to deliver it.

Sound familiar?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”