Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 10348
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#151

Post by carlson1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm

I also would like to add just because they are a church member and have a LTC doesn’t mean I would want them on any kind of team. Speaking from experience as a Pastor.
Image

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3421
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#152

Post by SewTexas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Keith B wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:49 pm
We all know it’s easy to armchair quarterback after an event and point out mistakes made. You could more than likely do that to one of Hockheim’s encounters. It is VERY easy for someone who spent a career doing security to point out errors, especially as said, this is a volunteer group of church members, not Seal Team Six.

That said, the only really critical mistake I believe was made was to allow the guy, dressed like he was, to be in with the congregation. They should have separated him and tried to make sure he was innocuous before letting him into the crowd.

BUT (BIG BUT), that is a tough task, even for experienced security personnel. They knew who he was, and since he had been there before, kinda let their guard down some and let him mingle, even in his state of dress.

Bottom line, once it started, I don’t think it could have been handled much better, even by a team of ‘professionals’.
yes! they knew who he was. it was initially a case of "he won't do anything bad", maybe they thought"he needs some help"....then it did go bad.....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1200
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#153

Post by troglodyte » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am

I'm not going to jump into the deep end on this but we also have to understand that we are churches, places that welcome the hurt, the confused, the lost. It is a fine line we walk trying to be welcoming and trying to be safe. There is no doubt that things could have been done differently but that is the luxury we have being Monday morning QBs. If I had been in the same situation, as head of our safety team, I can't honestly say I would have done things any differently. Maybe I would have but I don't know all the details. I do know that as I watched the video it was easy to put myself in any of the members roles. The auditorium looks very much like ours. Same layout, same pews, we even had the orange upholstery for a while. I often help serve communion from the back corner. I have sat on the back pew watching a POI. I have stood across the way scanning for threats. So it is not hard for me to see myself following the same procedure.

Will we do things differently now, absolutely, but we also have to be very discerning that we don't get in the way of our true responsibility, trying to seek and save the lost. I pray that if I turn someone away from our doors in error that the Lord pricks their heart so they will still search for Him and, secondly, that He forgives me as I try, in my frail human wisdom, to do the best I can fulfilling my ministry.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor, School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Stop The Bleed Instructor

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 17567
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#154

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm

If anyone wants to start a thread dealing with "best practices" for volunteer church security teams, please do so. However, if you plan to post something attacking Jack Wilson on this thread, don't waste your time. It will be deleted.

Chas.


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2807
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#155

Post by flechero » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm
If anyone wants to start a thread dealing with "best practices" for volunteer church security teams, please do so. However, if you plan to post something attacking Jack Wilson on this thread, don't waste your time. It will be deleted.

Chas.
Thank you for that.

They/he saved countless lives... was it possible to save 1 or 2 more? Possibly, but let's not lose sight of the fact that they aren't the US secret service, they are a volunteer group of parishioners that did the best they could. My hat's off to them. :tiphat:
troglodyte wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am


Will we do things differently now, absolutely, but we also have to be very discerning that we don't get in the way of our true responsibility, trying to seek and save the lost.
That's a good and mature way to look at it. Maybe it's one of those things that if you ID someone who is of interest, have a member of the team that can take them to another area to pray with them or more proactively offer them help... and that would also separate them from the rest of the Church.

No easy answers but I applaud you for keeping sight of the Lord's work, in addition to keeping the body safe.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 17567
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#156

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 pm

flechero wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:10 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 pm
If anyone wants to start a thread dealing with "best practices" for volunteer church security teams, please do so. However, if you plan to post something attacking Jack Wilson on this thread, don't waste your time. It will be deleted.

Chas.
Thank you for that.

They/he saved countless lives... was it possible to save 1 or 2 more? Possibly, but let's not lose sight of the fact that they aren't the US secret service, they are a volunteer group of parishioners that did the best they could. My hat's off to them. :tiphat:
troglodyte wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am


Will we do things differently now, absolutely, but we also have to be very discerning that we don't get in the way of our true responsibility, trying to seek and save the lost.
That's a good and mature way to look at it. Maybe it's one of those things that if you ID someone who is of interest, have a member of the team that can take them to another area to pray with them or more proactively offer them help... and that would also separate them from the rest of the Church.

No easy answers but I applaud you for keeping sight of the Lord's work, in addition to keeping the body safe.
We can learn much from after action reports and the video is invaluable for training purposes. Just as every airline crash makes commercial aviation safer, I hope this event results in volunteer security personnel carrying out their duties in a safer and more effective manner. Whether our experience in doing anything is great or small, we can always learn from others' experience. Analyzing the event so we can learn from it is fine, but attacking a brave man who saved countless lives is not going to happen here on the Forum.

Chas.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6544
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#157

Post by Pawpaw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 7453
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#158

Post by anygunanywhere » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 pm
Old Guys. Don't mess with the Old Guys. Old Guys with guns.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#159

Post by Paladin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 pm
Great interview. Thanks!! :cheers2:
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member, VCDL Member
Texas State Guard

User avatar

Texas_Blaze
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#160

Post by Texas_Blaze » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:59 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:17 pm
Pawpaw wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 pm
Old Guys. Don't mess with the Old Guys. Old Guys with guns.
i like hearin’ from old guys. There’s a reason they are old.i too want to be old one day.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#161

Post by Grayling813 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:09 pm

TurningPoint USA interview with Jack Wilson.
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/01/ ... ur-rights/

He's exactly on target..again. It's evil, not guns that are the problem.


User avatar

Blindref757
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: Denton

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

#162

Post by Blindref757 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:01 pm

I’m really surprised that either one of them agreed to unholster their weapons. I’m about 99.5% certain I would have declined.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”