HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 12

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Post by hirundo82 »

Jasonw560 wrote:Charles, any chance once of your bills being a concealed carry in primary and secondary schools for teachers and staff? Perhaps the parents, as well?
That would be accomplished by this:
Charles Cotton wrote:I have at least three bills I want to file next session, but none of them are high-profile bills, although one will certainly garner opposition. (That bill would make CHL's exempt from TPC §46.03 as well as TPC §46.02.)
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

blue
Posts in topic: 1

Post by blue »

:cheers2:
Last edited by blue on Thu May 12, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This might not be the right time for Charles to divulge his intentions. People who are not our friends read this board.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bullwhip »

74novaman wrote:
Nice post. :tiphat: If someone like you were in charge of this push, I'd have a lot less hesitation working with the cdl.
Politics is politics. I bet Mr. Cotton and Alice and TSRA and NRA work every day with people who are not nice people, lying sacks of fertilizer who are against us on almost everything. If you take it personal you can't work wtih people and you lose.

Seems like both groups here know that, but its funny how people supposed to be on the same team get in big fights about what color the uniforms should be. Baptists and Catholics can sit down and fellowship and not worry about their differences, Christians and Jews can do the same thing, but one congregation that believes 99.999% the same can split over the littlest thing when it turns personal.

I think CHLforum and OCDO and TSRA and LSCDL and NRA and GOA are on the same team. Theres different positions on the team but the team needs all the players to win. Offense has to pull for the defense and the other way around. Receivers and running backs gotta work together so the other team doesn' tknow what's coming next. Wishbone only works for so long until the other team finds a weak spot. You gotta be able to run and throw.

Too much football? Sorry, this NBA nonsense makes me miss a real sport :mrgreen:

Let's just move the ball. Sometimes you go long on 1st & 10 just to throw the other guy off. That would be a "constitutional carry" bill and "we" (all of those groups above) should chunk one down the field ever once in a while just ot shake 'em up.

TXlaw1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TXlaw1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
People need to look how far we've come in only 16 years. We passed concealed carry in 1995, adopted TPC §30.06 in 1997 and made other changes. 2001 saw passage of a bill preventing politically motivated law suits against gun and ammo manufacturers and sellers. In 2003 we passed SB501 that prohibits governmental entities from using TPC §30.06 to bar armed CHLs. In 2005, the first attempt at unlicensed car-carry passed, but the presumption it established was problematic. In 2007 we passed 8 of 9 pro-gun bills. We used the Rosenthal fiasco as a launching pad to pass unlicensed car-carry by changing TPC §46.02 so that having a handgun in your car, or one under your control, simply was not illegal. That way we bypass defenses to prosecution, presumptions, and having to prove your defense in court. Also in 2007, we were able to pass the most sweeping changes to self-defense law anywhere in the country in the form of our version of a "Castle Doctrine." Those who have attended my seminars know that repealing the retreat requirement pales in comparison to the other changes we made in that Bill. 2007 was also the year we passed a bill to prohibit New Orleans type firearm confiscation during emergencies -- the so-called "emergency powers bill." There many other improvements we've made since 1995 that don't make the headlines with gun owners and that's fine. For example, they include, sweeping changes to the way CHL applications are handled, changes to CHL eligibility requirements, extension of CHL license periods from 4 to 5 years (effectively a 25% fee reduction), expansion of fee discounts to more people, and many many other improvements. The fact is we have made tremendous progress, but the militant open-carry supporters don't care. If fact, they either deny that progress has been made, or they minimize its impact on gun owners. Open-carry will one day pass in spite of those folks, not because of them.
Chas.
Mr. Cotton, thank you for this great reminder of all that has been accomplished in 16 years! And thank you even more for your dynamic leadership to make these great strides in restoring our right to keep and bear arms. We appreciate more than words can express what you and other leaders and activists have achieved. :clapping: :tiphat:
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RPB »

TXlaw1 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
People need to look how far we've come in only 16 years. We passed concealed carry in 1995, adopted TPC §30.06 in 1997 and made other changes. 2001 saw passage of a bill preventing politically motivated law suits against gun and ammo manufacturers and sellers. In 2003 we passed SB501 that prohibits governmental entities from using TPC §30.06 to bar armed CHLs. In 2005, the first attempt at unlicensed car-carry passed, but the presumption it established was problematic. In 2007 we passed 8 of 9 pro-gun bills. We used the Rosenthal fiasco as a launching pad to pass unlicensed car-carry by changing TPC §46.02 so that having a handgun in your car, or one under your control, simply was not illegal. That way we bypass defenses to prosecution, presumptions, and having to prove your defense in court. Also in 2007, we were able to pass the most sweeping changes to self-defense law anywhere in the country in the form of our version of a "Castle Doctrine." Those who have attended my seminars know that repealing the retreat requirement pales in comparison to the other changes we made in that Bill. 2007 was also the year we passed a bill to prohibit New Orleans type firearm confiscation during emergencies -- the so-called "emergency powers bill." There many other improvements we've made since 1995 that don't make the headlines with gun owners and that's fine. For example, they include, sweeping changes to the way CHL applications are handled, changes to CHL eligibility requirements, extension of CHL license periods from 4 to 5 years (effectively a 25% fee reduction), expansion of fee discounts to more people, and many many other improvements. The fact is we have made tremendous progress, but the militant open-carry supporters don't care. If fact, they either deny that progress has been made, or they minimize its impact on gun owners. Open-carry will one day pass in spite of those folks, not because of them.
Chas.
Mr. Cotton, thank you for this great reminder of all that has been accomplished in 16 years! And thank you even more for your dynamic leadership to make these great strides in restoring our right to keep and bear arms. We appreciate more than words can express what you and other leaders and activists have achieved. :clapping: :tiphat:
:iagree: :thumbs2: :tiphat:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

74novaman
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 74novaman »

Bullwhip wrote:
74novaman wrote:
Nice post. :tiphat: If someone like you were in charge of this push, I'd have a lot less hesitation working with the cdl.
Politics is politics. I bet Mr. Cotton and Alice and TSRA and NRA work every day with people who are not nice people, lying sacks of fertilizer who are against us on almost everything. If you take it personal you can't work wtih people and you lose.
I understand having to work with politicians you don't like. That's how you have to do things. That being said, when you're choosing people to represent you and your cause, it's usually a good idea not to put the "lying sacks of fertilizer" as you put it in charge. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

JKTex
Posts in topic: 24

Post by JKTex »

hirundo82 wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:Charles, any chance once of your bills being a concealed carry in primary and secondary schools for teachers and staff? Perhaps the parents, as well?
That would be accomplished by this:
Charles Cotton wrote:I have at least three bills I want to file next session, but none of them are high-profile bills, although one will certainly garner opposition. (That bill would make CHL's exempt from TPC §46.03 as well as TPC §46.02.)

Bravo to the bold! It just happened for Elected Officials etc. and while their reason of being "targets" may have merit, the same and other reasons makes it sensible for CHL holders as well. How much more danger is there when every time I go park at the front door of my daughter middle school to run in for 5 minutes, I leave my pistol in my truck rather than just leaving it concealed and secured on my hip? I don't like having to handle it more than I need to nor do I like creating opportunities for someone to catch a glimpse of me upholstering in the truck and causing a lock-down with SWAT, helicopters and national media! ;) Pro sporting events? Bar's etc.? If we can't be trusted to have and use good sound judgement, we shouldn't carry, and that goes for everyone, even LEO's.

sherlock7
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sherlock7 »

Charles, That was a great post! You have educated me and hopefully others as to the various strategies and options involved in presentating open carry in a favorable light not only to the general public but to the members of our house and senate as well.
Thank you for all your hard work!

para driver
Posts in topic: 6

Post by para driver »

I've had my CHL since '96, and carry almost every day. I've had this open/concealed discussion with friends several times, and the overall concensus of our little group is that none of us would open carry. The 'group think' in this situation is that we have benefitted greatly from 'don't ask, don't tell' under the current CHL provisions, and going with open carry reopens old wounds.

What tactical or political advantage is there to open carry? The Southlake/Woodlands/Round Rock soccer-moms will certainly go ga-ga when they walk into a movie theater and see someone openly displaying a pistola, why be so 'in your face'? The current statistics posted by DPS are strongly in favor of CHL, why push it?

If ya'll remember back to '96 when CHL first passed, there were quite a few 'no gun' signs around,
not withstanding if they met the 30.06 requirements. After a few months, and NOT seeing blood flowing down the streets,
they vanished quickly. At this point, I can't easily think of more than 1 or 2 proper 30.06 signs on commercial business' around N Dallas. Yes, there are a few 51% signs, but that's TABC.

Sorry, but you KNOW that open carry will reignite the sign posting efforts, and restir the pot. Are we not better off
to leave well enough alone? Personally, I'm happy to get the workplace and college campus bills passed..

TXlaw1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TXlaw1 »

para driver wrote: Sorry, but you KNOW that open carry will reignite the sign posting efforts, and restir the pot. Are we not better off to leave well enough alone? Personally, I'm happy to get the workplace and college campus bills passed..
:iagree: Well said. I was a peace officer for 25 years. The only time we could open carry was when in uniform. Otherwise it was concealed carry only. What is the need for citizens to open carry when they can have the advantage of concealed carry if confronted with a perp who wants to do them harm? Is there really research that shows that open carry deters crime? If so, I'd like to be pointed to it.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

TXlaw1 wrote:
:iagree: Well said. I was a peace officer for 25 years. The only time we could open carry was when in uniform. Otherwise it was concealed carry only. What is the need for citizens to open carry when they can have the advantage of concealed carry if confronted with a perp who wants to do them harm? Is there really research that shows that open carry deters crime? If so, I'd like to be pointed to it.
What is the need for free speech? People say some pretty shocking things, should we regulate that as well?

Also if the challenge is to show statistical evidence that open carry deters crime, I would put the same challenge to you about concealed carry.

I think rights outweigh feelings, and that I can prove. IMHO, this bill stinks; but let's not lose sight of our rights.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

texasjeep44
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texasjeep44 »

steveincowtown wrote: What is the need for free speech? People say some pretty shocking things, should we regulate that as well?

Also if the challenge is to show statistical evidence that open carry deters crime, I would put the same challenge to you about concealed carry.

I think rights outweigh feelings, and that I can prove. IMHO, this bill stinks; but let's not lose sight of our rights.
Free speech is regulated to some extent and in some circumstances. If you're not aware of that you should be.

What rights do you want restored? You want to open carry a gun, go ahead, get a long gun and do it, it is perfectly within your rights to do so.

If you don't already open carry a long gun, why don't you? I will go ahead and answer that for you. You don't want the attention you would draw when going to the local store, movie theater, restaurant or whereever. You don't want the results of what would happen after the man with gun call when into the local PD.

If you simply want your rights to be able to openly carry a handgun restored, well, it has been well over 100 years since Texans have had that right. Doing it this particular legislative session isn't going to make a big deal in the scope of things. Thinking that a law on the books that will allow for open carry will magically make things right is very narrow minded. As many have pointed out, it may very well result in limiting everyones right to carry a handgun whether or openly or concealed.
Just remember shot placement is much more important with what you shoot than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.

http://www.ddchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JKTex
Posts in topic: 24

Post by JKTex »

There's part of the problem as I see it. A subset of the "we" who support gun right issues make open carry out to be something that will instantly have people walking around with big scary guns strapped to our sides instilling panic and fear. Sure, we see some of the open carry demonstrators that do just that because they're making a point rather than progress, but amongst CHL holders that carry, it seems most would never consider open carrying and a very few would under the right circumstances. I'd love to open carry 100% of the time but know that's not feasible, at least most metro areas. The few that might, I don't think will be carrying in a manner that will be all that noticeable or in places where it may create fear. I'd likely still carry IWB, shirt tucked but gun not covered, leaving a small part of the gun exposed, tight against me and behind my arm 90% of the time, as an example.

I think it's an issue that is a bigger deal hyped on paper than it would be in reality, and that makes "us" our own worst enemy. Of course the guys demonstrating with tactical gear with an attitude doens't help. :smilelol5:
Last edited by JKTex on Sun May 15, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

texasjeep44 wrote:If you don't already open carry a long gun, why don't you? I will go ahead and answer that for you. You don't want the attention you would draw when going to the local store, movie theater, restaurant or whereever. You don't want the results of what would happen after the man with gun call when into the local PD.

If you simply want your rights to be able to openly carry a handgun restored, well, it has been well over 100 years since Texans have had that right. Doing it this particular legislative session isn't going to make a big deal in the scope of things. Thinking that a law on the books that will allow for open carry will magically make things right is very narrow minded. As many have pointed out, it may very well result in limiting everyones right to carry a handgun whether or openly or concealed.
No offense, but if you had read this complete thread or my post above I think you would know this is not even close to what I think.

First, this bill is no good. When you say “narrow minded” I think you a probably referring to those folks that think this bill is great. I have said it throughout this thread, but will say it one more time. Passing OC would be great, but passing at the expense of CHL holders would be no good.

Second, just because one doesn’t exercise a right doesn’t mean it isn’t a right. Does everyone vote in every election? No. Should we all have this right, yes. Does everyone go to church each and every Sunday, not everyone I know, but I am sure they are all glad they have the right.

And as for your long gun comment, I think there is a difference between what is right and what is prudent. One should never exercise their rights in a way which would garner more attention than they are comfortable with. Some folks are comfortable with OC'ing. I did it for years in VA and never encountered any issues. Other are not comfortable with the concept, which is fine as well as well.

Bottom line...the right still exsit.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”