SB 354 is being discussed NOW!

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Re: SB 354 is being discussed NOW!

Post by RPB »

Austin American Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-pol ... 83477.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KXAN
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas_lege ... s-gun-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7511515.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas Tribune
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-issue ... arry-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KLTV news
http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14404202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

croc870
Posts in topic: 1

Post by croc870 »

Considering that an Arizona Campus Carry bills (only for parts of campus) passed the full Arizona House at the very same time they were debating the issue in Texas, I'm thinking the senator might want to reconsider stating that Arizona has already let the bill die.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Jasonw560 »

croc870 wrote:Considering that an Arizona Campus Carry bills (only for parts of campus) passed the full Arizona House at the very same time they were debating the issue in Texas, I'm thinking the senator might want to reconsider stating that Arizona has already let the bill die.
Might be a good talking point to bring up to his staffers.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Faxed this to Sen. Ogden just now:

I am a professor and live in College Station (obviously voicing my own individual viewpoint).

I am disappointed, and frankly baffled, with the argument that I heard you make on the Senate floor today. What I heard you say was 1) you oppose the bill because the alleged small percentage of CHL holders on campus won’t effectively make the campus safer, and 2) you oppose the bill because it isn’t inclusive enough of others, i.e., those younger than 21 years of age, international students, and private colleges.

Your first point is actually a good counterpoint to the faulty arguments of Sen. Ellis and others that this bill would make campuses less safe. There is, of course, many years of evidence dispelling the notion that concealed carry laws result in increased crime (confirmed by the National Academy of Sciences, no less). And there is no evidence from the fifteen years of the Texas CHL law to expect a decrease in safety. Trying to forecast some sort of aggregate “campus safety” measure misses the point. Sen. Wentworth repeated referred to this bill as a matter of personal security, which it is. It is not the fault of the bill that only a certain percentage of people are willing to get a CHL. That is an individual choice, which brings on that individual the ability to protect himself or herself (as well as attendant responsibility and potential liability). The person does that do protect their individual person, not the campus. If the campus benefits from the stopping of a spreading threat, then so much the better.

Your second point makes even less sense. Sen. Wentworth correctly noted that his bill is removing restrictions in current law and therefore increasing personal liberty with regards to self-defense. It is clearly not the fault of SB 354 that current CHL law requires applicants to be 21 years or older. Likewise, current law restricts concealed carry by CHL holders in buildings of all institutions of higher learning. Sen. Wentworth’s bill reduces that restriction to only buildings of private universities. It is an obvious and politically practical step forward in liberty. As he invited you, you are free to offer amendments to fix the problems that you raise. But to use them as arguments against SB 354 is incomprehensible.

Since you raised these two somewhat disparate points, let me tie them together. The main reason for CHL laws is individual personal security. Thus extending CHL carry rights to include campus buildings is a practical and helpful improvement in both liberty and personal security. Virginia Tech notwithstanding, the more likely need for extending legal concealed carry into campus buildings is to protect individual CHL holders en route to campus, in the dark parking area, coming home from the library at midnight, etc.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

:iagree: Spot on. :clapping:

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

texanron
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texanron »

Going strictly by the remarks in this thread it is probably good taht I didn't watch the feed. I hope all of y'all that did watch it have had time to cool down.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 9

Post by baldeagle »

texanron wrote:Going strictly by the remarks in this thread it is probably good taht I didn't watch the feed. I hope all of y'all that did watch it have had time to cool down.
I'll be calmed down some time in the next 24 hours. Right now I am righteously steamed.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

texanron
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texanron »

baldeagle wrote:I'll be calmed down some time in the next 24 hours. Right now I am righteously steamed.
I hear ya Bro! Hang in there!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Who do we know are solidly for the bill?

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Jasonw560 wrote:Who do we know are solidly for the bill?
14 coauthors, plus Whitmire and Huffman who voted for it in committee.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RPB »

Woodseys tweeted step by step since I was asleep and couldn't this time :mrgreen:
http://twitter.com/sgfstexas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duncan
Ellis
Ogden
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

hirundo82 wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:Who do we know are solidly for the bill?
14 coauthors, plus Whitmire and Huffman who voted for it in committee.
S0 that's 16.

Hinojosa is probably on the fence.

Lucio will vote for it, if his amendment is any good and gets in.

Owens

Post by Owens »

Duncan...:grumble
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Owens wrote:Duncan... :grumble
I know, me too. But we have to leave him alone. If we lose him, we don't have 21 votes to bring the bill to the floor. If we get it to the floor, it passes.

Chas.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Owens wrote:Duncan... :grumble
I know, me too. But we have to leave him alone. If we lose him, we don't have 21 votes to bring the bill to the floor. If we get it to the floor, it passes.

Chas.
Lucio's in with his amendment. See my new post on it.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”