Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Do you support licensed or unlicensed open-carry, or not at all?

Licensed open-carry (i.e. CHL's)
110
48%
Unlicensed open-carry
94
41%
I don't support either.
26
11%
 
Total votes: 230

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 17482
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#1

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:25 pm

If you support open-carry, do you want licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?
Image

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 7128
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#2

Post by ELB » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Given the choices, I voted unlicensed open carry.

In principle, I support open carry of handguns, long arms, Bowies, swords, switchblades, suppressors, assagais, pepperspray, and hives of African killer bees.

But.

Politically, I do NOT support any version of open carry that has the practical effect of limiting overall firearms carry (specifically, concealed carry). Concealed carry is vastly more useful, and if as you (Mr. Cotton) have argued elsewhere if I understqand you correctly, open carry will result in an explosion of 30.06 signs, then ixnay on OC.

It's hard to get all the nuances in a poll vote.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#3

Post by flintknapper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Licensed to start with (but with the goal of licensed or constitutional carry in the future).

Also with the option to carry openly or concealed.

I believe Licensed Carry would be much easier to "sell" to the public and I think some amount of "training/education" (in a class) would be beneficial as well. There ARE certain aspects of open carry that could be of concern when amongst the public.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

Commander Cody
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Texas City/Trinity

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#4

Post by Commander Cody » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:14 pm

I know a lot of people, including myself, that would love to see open carry legalized, BUT would never do it.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#5

Post by Oldgringo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm cool with my CHL. No one needs to know whether I'm carryin' until they need to know.

While I probably wouldn't practice it, I'm okay with OC by those who have accepted the requirements, responsibilities and consequences of firearm usage in the public arena.

Our Constitution notwithstanding, there are folk who shouldn't be around guns, allowed to vote or to breed. Perhaps an OC license would weed out some of those who shouldn't be around guns?

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12692
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#6

Post by C-dub » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:03 pm

For me this was a difficult choice. Initially, I thought "licensed carry" and would prevent just anyone from doing it. However, I think that if we had "unlicensed carry" we might better be able to keep it separate from our CHL.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#7

Post by Oldgringo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:31 pm

C-dub wrote:For me this was a difficult choice. Initially, I thought "licensed carry" and would prevent just anyone from doing it. However, I think that if we had "unlicensed carry" we might better be able to keep it separate from our CHL.
One uniform class and license to carry. The licensee has the CHOICE of OC or CC.


Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#8

Post by Right2Carry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Oldgringo wrote:
C-dub wrote:For me this was a difficult choice. Initially, I thought "licensed carry" and would prevent just anyone from doing it. However, I think that if we had "unlicensed carry" we might better be able to keep it separate from our CHL.
One uniform class and license to carry. The licensee has the CHOICE of OC or CC.
I agree with this statement.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 9151
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#9

Post by Beiruty » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 pm

I vote licensed OC. I do not want felons and violent crimnals to OC, periods. LEOs can check OC/CHL lic with no need to have an positive proof state issued id and and do on-sight background check. But I am not sure if this is an issue for LEOs
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

Excaliber
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5765
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#10

Post by Excaliber » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:10 pm

flintknapper wrote:Licensed to start with (but with the goal of licensed or constitutional carry in the future).

Also with the option to carry openly or concealed.

I believe Licensed Carry would be much easier to "sell" to the public and I think some amount of "training/education" (in a class) would be beneficial as well. There ARE certain aspects of open carry that could be of concern when amongst the public.
I generally agree with Flint's reasoning here.

I think unlicensed carry would invite too much opposition at this point and we probably wouldn't accomplish anything except spending a lot of political capital on a losing fight.

From a personal standpoint, CC has more tactical advantages for me in most situations and avoids tempting some folks to escalate a situation just due to the known presence of a gun. It also keeps the bad guys guessing unless and until I decide to resolve their uncertainty. This is a good thing in my book. If both OC and CC were authorized, I'd still choose to CC the vast majority of the time.

However, I would like to have the freedom of OC to be able to ditch the covering garment when hiking, fishing, camping, visiting the local convenience store down the road from the deer lease, etc. without having folks faint or call for the SWAT team along the way.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12692
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#11

Post by C-dub » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Beiruty wrote:I vote licensed OC. I do not want felons and violent crimnals to OC, periods. LEOs can check OC/CHL lic with no need to have an positive proof state issued id and and do on-sight background check. But I am not sure if this is an issue for LEOs
I didn't think felons could possess a gun in the first place and I thought there were studies and statistics that show criminals in general do not OC. I"m guessing that this would be in those states that already allow OC in the first place.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 7335
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#12

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Unlicensed, definitely.

Good point C-dub.

Anygunanywhere
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: Its patriotism, Its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." Joseph Stalin

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 18207
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#13

Post by Keith B » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 pm

C-dub wrote:
Beiruty wrote:I vote licensed OC. I do not want felons and violent crimnals to OC, periods. LEOs can check OC/CHL lic with no need to have an positive proof state issued id and and do on-sight background check. But I am not sure if this is an issue for LEOs
I didn't think felons could possess a gun in the first place and I thought there were studies and statistics that show criminals in general do not OC. I"m guessing that this would be in those states that already allow OC in the first place.
Criminals don't open carry, but they do have guns fall out of their saggy britches sometimes. But I guess that isn't illegal as it is accidental unconcelament. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 9151
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#14

Post by Beiruty » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:25 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:Unlicensed, definitely.

Good point C-dub.

Anygunanywhere
In Unlic carrry, can a LEO stop and ask for ID and check if the OCer is not a felon? Or do you allow the violent felons to OC?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12692
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Licensed open-carry or unlicensed open-carry?

#15

Post by C-dub » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:34 pm

Beiruty wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Unlicensed, definitely.

Good point C-dub.

Anygunanywhere
In Unlic carrry, can a LEO stop and ask for ID and check if the OCer is not a felon? Or do you allow the violent felons to OC?
Well, the way I figure it, if OC requires a license the police will stop anyone they see open carrying just to check if they have a license. But, if it is unlicensed OC then they have no reason to stop someone unless they are committing a crime. Oh, and I'm not naive enough to think that it still won't happen, but it will cost some departments some money when they do. However, whether a person is violent or not is irrelevant. If they are not committing a crime at that moment then what's the problem whether they OC or CC without a license?

I also think that if and when OC is legal in Texas that a license will be required. Having it be unlicensed is JMHO.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Locked

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”