Shooting Range protection with SB766

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
O6nop
Posts in topic: 2

Shooting Range protection with SB766

Post by O6nop »

I got an email from the TSRA regarding a bill that would add protections to shooting ranges. Details are here.

My understanding is that there is added protection against lawsuits for existing ranges but future ranges may have to comply with stricter guidelines.
Is this a positive bill? Sure looks like it if you are interested in not having anymore ranges closed down due to lawsuits.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Shooting Range protection with SB766

Post by hirundo82 »

O6nop wrote:My understanding is that there is added protection against lawsuits for existing ranges but future ranges may have to comply with stricter guidelines.
From the bill, it looks like future ranges will have the same protections if they comply with the practices for range construction that are generally accepted at the time the range is built. That sounds reasonable to me.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm obviously biased, but this is a much-needed bill! I wrote it in response to a growing number of frivolous lawsuits against shooting ranges. This was also the subject of an article I wrote on the Texas Firearms Coalition website titled Texas Law Must Mirror Public Policy.

Chas.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Just to keep the thread up to date, SB 766 has been referred to the Agriculture and Rural Affairs subcommittee and is scheduled for a hearing on Monday, March 7th. I'm assuming this bill will have an easy time in this committee, especially since the author (Estes) is the committee chair.
Last edited by hirundo82 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

This is a bill that has not got a lot of attention yet I am quite pleased to see it. Thank you Chas and TSRA! A residential developer has 6 lots platted just south of our 465' south property line. I am currently hot and heavy near the end of a 4-year battle with Denton County threating eminent domain hearing over land they need for road expansion on our east property line, or I might well run to Austin to support this bill in the hearing on Monday. (what I read, said March 7). And if I can get loose, I may.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Greybeard wrote:This is a bill that has not got a lot of attention yet I am quite pleased to see it. Thank you Chas and TSRA! A residential developer has 6 lots platted just south of our 465' south property line. I am currently hot and heavy near the end of a 4-year battle with Denton County threating eminent domain hearing over land they need for road expansion on our east property line, or I might well run to Austin to support this bill in the hearing on Monday. (what I read, said March 7). And if I can get loose, I may.
I'm going to Austin Monday to testify in the Senate hearing. Hopefully, this bill will run under the radar, but if we need to hit the phone and faxes, the word will go out. I cannot overstate the importance of this bill and the level of protection it provides to ranges. Texas will have the strongest range protection law in the country if we pass this Bill

Chas.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I just got the email alert that a substitute for SB766 was voted out of committee. Any word on what changes with the substitute? It isn't online yet.

Topic author
O6nop
Posts in topic: 2

Post by O6nop »

hirundo82 wrote:I just got the email alert that a substitute for SB766 was voted out of committee. Any word on what changes with the substitute? It isn't online yet.
I see that there are co-authors added and it's placed on the intent calendar.. is that a good thing?
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

O6nop wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:I just got the email alert that a substitute for SB766 was voted out of committee. Any word on what changes with the substitute? It isn't online yet.
I see that there are co-authors added and it's placed on the intent calendar.. is that a good thing?
Yes, but I don't expect to see it on the Senate floor until Thursday; at least that's what I hope happens. There are a few things to do first.

Chas.

Capt Roy

Post by Capt Roy »

Thanks for all your work on this Charles... My first Great Grandson was born last Wed and I want him to have access to shooting ranges like I did..
Capt Roy
"If it doesn't work, read the instructions. If it still doesn't work, follow them!"
CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SB766 just passed the Senate.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB766 just passed the Senate.

Chas.
:hurry: Awesome!!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

texasjeep44

Post by texasjeep44 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:SB766 just passed the Senate.

Chas.
Thanks for your hard work. Keep it up. :thumbs2:
Just remember shot placement is much more important with what you shoot than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.

http://www.ddchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”