HB 508 to senate committee

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 4

HB 508 to senate committee

Post by 2firfun50 »

I see HB508 has gone to committee where Senator Hinojosa is the Chairman. This bill would a pretty good win depending where you live.

CJD

Re: HB 508 to senate committee

Post by CJD »

972 went to committee also

Rrash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rrash »

Passed the House by a vote of 142-0-1.

bat1

Post by bat1 »

Will this Bill HB 508 allow a CHL holder to carry on federal property, like post-office and NASA ? If not can you explain this bill ?

:???: BAT

brentski

Post by brentski »

No, State Law cannot supersede Federal Law so it would only effect State, County, City etc that can be governed State Law.

jmra

Post by jmra »

bat1 wrote:Will this Bill HB 508 allow a CHL holder to carry on federal property, like post-office and NASA ? If not can you explain this bill ?

Not the way I read it. All it does is make it an offense for a government employee to post 30.06 on government property already exempted from 30.06.
This applies to state and local government property, not federal property.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

bat1 wrote:Will this Bill HB 508 allow a CHL holder to carry on federal property, like post-office and NASA ? If not can you explain this bill ?

No. This bill will have no impact on federal rules and regulations.

Under current law CHL holders can carry in all state government buildings except for jails, courts and during official meetings if they are 30.06 signed. Some governmental entities (city halls, government buildings, etc.) have put up 30.06 signs even though they aren't allowed to. The purpose of HB 508 is to make that a civil offense that incurs a fine that increases daily so long as the sign isn't removed.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

I am watching this bill closely. My city (Pasadena) has put up 30.06 signs at almost all school parking lot entrances, at the parking lot entrances of the administration buildings, the school district tax office and now have installed them at the entrance of the newly paved football stadium parking lot. They also continue to post the city owned civic center improperly. Pasadena elections were held today and I spoke with one city council candidate about the signs and he had no clue what 30.06 was. The other candidate had only supporters, including a councilman from a different district who is a supporter but not up for election. One supporter was a PO and though he knew what 30.06 was he was ignorant of the government building exemption. The councilman wasn't aware that signs were being put up improperly either. I advised them that HB 508 had passed the house and if approved by the senate would put Pasadena in jeopardy of facing numerous civil fines if they kept the signs. Knowing the city's propensity for failing to follow rules I told the councilman I would be very disappointed if my tax dollars were wasted paying fines. The PO did recall that the sign had been removed from the entrance to the Police Station.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 5

Post by maverick2076 »

Will this affect cities passing bogus ordinances banning CHL's on city property? For example, the Rosenberg PD has a sign outside the department quoting a city ordinance (I forget the number) and saying that CHL's are not permitted.

CJD

Post by CJD »

maverick2076 wrote:Will this affect cities passing bogus ordinances banning CHL's on city property? For example, the Rosenberg PD has a sign outside the department quoting a city ordinance (I forget the number) and saying that CHL's are not permitted.
Those ordinances are already illegal as they preempt state chl law I believe. The bill doesn't seem like it would allow civil penalties in that situation because they are not posting 30.06. However, I'm sure there is someone to contact on the matter of preemption, I just do not know.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Think of this as our "Gun Show loophole"......lol
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

CJD

Post by CJD »

AEA wrote:Think of this as our "Gun Show loophole"......lol
Ha speaking of, the gun show in Conroe occurs on government property, yet they post 30.06. I let them know that their sign was invalid, and that if this bill passed they could be fined for posting it. Their reply was that I don't have to attend if I don't like their safety rules, and did nothing to address the fact that the sign was not legally posted. I hope this passes so that I actually have some teeth to approach them with. Until then I suppose I'll carry anyway.
The gun show at George r Brown used to post 30.06, but the city of Houston made them remove it.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

maverick2076 wrote:Will this affect cities passing bogus ordinances banning CHL's on city property? For example, the Rosenberg PD has a sign outside the department quoting a city ordinance (I forget the number) and saying that CHL's are not permitted.
That's different, as said, since they can't ban CHL's. Secure areas in a PD are already prohibited though, but not public areas.

As someone else said, it adds civil penelty for posting 30.06, like the Ft Worth Zoo and sever Museums do (or did if they don't anymore) and several other entities that people have posted about. Ft. Worth seems to be one of the most well known as they're obviously kind large. :)

I'd like to see how they word their sign though.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

CJD wrote:
Ha speaking of, the gun show in Conroe occurs on government property, yet they post 30.06. I let them know that their sign was invalid, and that if this bill passed they could be fined for posting it. Their reply was that I don't have to attend if I don't like their safety rules, and did nothing to address the fact that the sign was not legally posted. I hope this passes so that I actually have some teeth to approach them with. Until then I suppose I'll carry anyway.
The gun show at George r Brown used to post 30.06, but the city of Houston made them remove it.
As a general good way to do things, advising someone that their sign is illegal / unenforceable isn't the best idea. Normally, they'll find a way to legally post the correct signage & then we're all faced with one less place to carry & another choice of disarm vs go somewhere else.

I am curious as to what the gun shows will do if this is signed into law. You know, action-reaction scenario.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

CJD

Post by CJD »

TexasCajun wrote:
CJD wrote:
As a general good way to do things, advising someone that their sign is illegal / unenforceable isn't the best idea. Normally, they'll find a way to legally post the correct signage & then we're all faced with one less place to carry & another choice of disarm vs go somewhere else.

I am curious as to what the gun shows will do if this is signed into law. You know, action-reaction scenario.
I don't tell any businesses that their signs are unenforceable. I only told the gun show people because they CAN'T legally restrict carry by any means, so I'm not worried about that.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”