Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LDP
Posts in topic: 6

Molding a factory leather holster some?

Post by LDP » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Howdy,

there's a 1911 holster I like and would like to purchase but from the pictures, it seems that its inside flap of thinner leather is molded to keep the safety lever in the off/down position. (attaching a picture)
Holster.PNG

I have reached out to the manufacturer asking if they could confirm whether the mold is intended to keep the safety or or off and whether it would be possible to get one made for the safety on. They have been stalling for almost two weeks and so far no useful answer. They are starting to sound pretty incompetent.

So I'd like to ask the smart people on this forum two basic questions:
1) do you concur that the indentation for the safety lever on the inside of the holster seems to be favoring the lever in the off position?
2) is it possible to mold the pre-made holster to change the indentation for the safety lever?

Thank you in advance.

Rob72
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Molding a factory leather holster some?

Post by Rob72 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:02 am

The mold appears to be in the "on-safe" position. I believe you're GTG. ;-)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:21 am

"Off" would be parallel with respect to the direction of the slide. On the holster, it is angled up with respect to the direction of the slide. FYI, it’s I conceivable to me that a holster maker would make a holster intended to carry a loaded andcocked 1911 with the safety off. The product liability would be astronomically high.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:26 am

Listed on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Island-Leather-M ... B01MU8NH4H
Affordable and good reviews. The front side view shows the holster holding a a 1911 in condition 1.
Answers to posted questions suggest you should be good to go with that holster. If not, there is
always that drawer full of holsters;)
NRA Lifetime Member
I was addicted to the hokey-pokey, but I turned myself around.

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:05 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:21 am
FYI, it’s I conceivable to me that a holster maker would make a holster intended to carry a loaded and cocked 1911 with the safety off.
Agreed.
But believe me when I tell you that I happen to own a holster with a strap that is made to secure the 1911 with the hammer down. Plus the thumb break is in such an awkward place, it pushes the safety lever down (off) so even you contort the strap around the front of the hammer in the cocked position, the safety will come off which is highly undesired. There's another thread about this here somewhere.
It seems like some holster manufacturers don't know the basics about properly carrying a 1911. They just mold a holster around their plastic prop and you're GTG.
The Annoyed Man wrote:
The product liability would be astronomically high.
FWIW, I don't really see the Chinese caring about this silly product liability thing. Not their backyard. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Any advice on question #2?

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:27 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
"Off" would be parallel with respect to the direction of the slide. On the holster, it is angled up with respect to the direction of the slide.
I thought that too. But the safety lever is angled upward even in the down/off/unsafe position.
It is in the up/on/safe position only if protruding into the slide. Which it does not seem to be in the picture in my first post, it seems to be below the slide, just like the slide lock lever. Hence my initial question.
Do you see what I am talking about? Or am I just plain crazy?
You know what? Don't answer the last one. :biggrinjester:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:31 pm

LDP wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:05 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
FYI, it’s I conceivable to me that a holster maker would make a holster intended to carry a loaded and cocked 1911 with the safety off.
Agreed.
But believe me when I tell you that I happen to own a holster with a strap that is made to secure the 1911 with the hammer down. Plus the thumb break is in such an awkward place, it pushes the safety lever down (off) so even you contort the strap around the front of the hammer in the cocked position, the safety will come off which is highly undesired. There's another thread about this here somewhere.
It seems like some holster manufacturers don't know the basics about properly carrying a 1911. They just mold a holster around their plastic prop and you're GTG.
The Annoyed Man wrote:
The product liability would be astronomically high.
FWIW, I don't really see the Chinese caring about this silly product liability thing. Not their backyard. :biggrinjester:
Are Serpas Chinese made? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t know enough to answer #2.

Yeah, I see your picture. Yes, you’re crazy, but apparently I’m stupid, so it balances out. :lol:

My problem with 1911s in general is that I’m a lefty, and so I’ve always bought 1911s with ambidextrous safeties, or converted a right handed gun to ambidextrous safeties. This doesn’t become a problem until you carry one around for a while that still has a right hander's safety on it. MANY times as I was asking the gun off at the end of the day, I found that I had been carrying around a cocked and UN-locked 1911 because something at some point had made contact with the exposed lever, switching it off. Granted, the grip safety was still engaged and the trigger was covered by the holster .... until I withdrew the weapon to store it, but withdrawing it put my hand into contact with the grip safety, disengaging it, and the only thing between me and a very light single action trigger was good trigger discipline. It was around that time that I began considering carrying other kinds of pistols, and eventually settled on Glocks because that’s what my wife carries.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

AndyC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AndyC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 pm

LDP wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 pm
2) is it possible to mold the pre-made holster to change the indentation for the safety lever?
Yes.

I've made 2 holsters for my Automag so far, and molding is very easy - wet the surface of the section of the leather you wish to mold (wipe warm water on it and wipe off after 30 secs or so) and rub with a blunt tool. In your case I'd first mold the existing indentation flat, then remold for Cond 1 carry.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:33 pm

AndyC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 pm
LDP wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 pm
Yes.

I've made 2 holsters for my Automag so far, and molding is very easy - wet the surface of the section of the leather you wish to mold (wipe warm water on it and wipe off after 30 secs or so) and rub with a blunt tool. In your case I'd first mold the existing indentation flat, then remold for Cond 1 carry.
Thank you, sir, that makes me feel better.
I have heard that good leather can be molded, just don't have the experience or expertise.
Will have to give it a try, hoping that these holsters are made of decent leather.
While I did try to check YuToob first, I thought I'd ask here and get personal insights. I am a social person. :)

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Well, it's unclear from that image but that leather doesn't look too thick in the relevant area - I'm not sure how much I'd rely on it alone to keep the thumb-safety forced upwards, but it's sure worth a go.
Remember Kitty Genovese

There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Topic author
LDP

Post by LDP » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:41 pm

AndyC wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm
Well, it's unclear from that image but that leather doesn't look too thick in the relevant area - I'm not sure how much I'd rely on it alone to keep the thumb-safety forced upwards, but it's sure worth a go.
Agreed.
But if the indent is in the wrong place, I don't want it helping to force the lever into the wrong position.
Thanks again for the help. :thumbsup:

P.S.: Am I the only one here with OCD where I find it very wrong to have to type "thumbsup" (plural) between colons to display a smiley with only ONE thumb up? :shock: :clapping: :roll: :headscratch :grumble

AndyC

Post by AndyC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Yep - we all just use the smilies 'round here :cool: ;-)
Remember Kitty Genovese

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”