Another datapoint on UT, campus carry, Straus

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Another datapoint on UT, campus carry, Straus

Post by ELB »

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairp ... p?page=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Jon Cassidy, writing for Watchdog.org, an online news service sponsored by a conservative foundation, laid out the real back story of the law school admissions racket. Pitts had told the truth about one thing: It was standard practice.

In an ingenious use of public information laws and law school application procedures, Cassidy was able to expose an entire cadre of candidates admitted to UT law school in spite of startlingly low scores on the national Law School Admission Test (LSAT), many of whom graduated somehow, but, unlike almost anybody else at UT Law School, kept flunking their bar exams after they got out.

Of these, 15 of the names unearthed by Cassidy were of students directly linked to officeholders, either by blood, influence or money. Cassidy reported that a large number of ringers came from the district of state Senator Judith Zaffirini, former chair of the state higher education committee, including her son Carlos Manuel Zaffirini Jr. Many were connected to House Speaker Joe Straus.
And UT's position on campus carry is (borrowing from Crossfire via TAM):
From UT Chancellor, William McRaven: "In light of all these concerns and apprehensions, I feel the presence of concealed weapons will make a campus a less-safe environment."
Borrowing from one of Mr. Cotton's threads:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:If the Chron.com article is accurate, then Speaker Straus may be preparing Texas gun owners for some underhanded treatment of campus-carry. Remember House Members, we have a record of who voted for Straus.

If Admiral McRaven feels Texas CHLs are less responsible than the people who can carry handgun on 1,500 campuses around the country, I'd very interested to hear the factual evidence on which he bases that preposterous opinion.

Chas.
Chronicle/Speaker Joe Straus wrote:"I would caution anyone who intends to ignore Admiral McRaven when you're talking about arms and ammunition," Straus told the Chronicle later Wednesday, in a clarification of his earlier remarks.

McRaven, the former head of U.S. Special Operations Command, has been outspoken in his opposition to campus carry. However, the speaker said did not think anything has changed politically in the House since last session, when a campus carry provision that included an opt-out clause passed. http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texa ... 075901.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Re: Another datapoint on UT, campus carry, Straus

Post by C-dub »

Uh oh. :totap:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

mojo84
Post subject: Re: Straus Sending Ominous Message on Campus-CarryPostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Straus has very very strong ties to the educrats at UT. They are all part of his gang of cronies.

So does Zaffirini.

Some good info here. http://www.empowertexans.com/tag/wallace-hall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I saw the mention of Admiral McRaven in the quotes. Is he being held up as some sort of expert on concealed carry rights? I haven't seen very many high level military officers who were friendly to gun rights. Of course, I probably only hear about the ones who are not.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”