Call-To-Action: HB910

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Call-To-Action: HB910

Post by Skiprr »

jmra wrote:
Xikar wrote:Well, the bill passed the Senate and is heading back to the house.

Oops, what is this? They uncovered a "clerical error" that must be hashed out first (time killer here).

Imagine that. An employee screwed up the wording in the OC paperwork. Again. It's not a coincidence people.
Link?
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/ ... the-house/

My take is that there was no new clerical error discovered, but that there was discussion over the Huffines' amendment: some senators were of the opinion that because the amendment was removed and then reinserted, the bill would go directly to Governor Abbott; others felt it would have to go back to the House for concurrence. The general counsel for the Senate (I believe this is Zachary Stephenson) made the decision that the bill did, indeed, have to go back to the House for a concurrence vote.

An inch at a time. I still have my fingers crossed.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 10

Post by jmra »

Skiprr wrote:
jmra wrote:
Xikar wrote:Well, the bill passed the Senate and is heading back to the house.

Oops, what is this? They uncovered a "clerical error" that must be hashed out first (time killer here).

Imagine that. An employee screwed up the wording in the OC paperwork. Again. It's not a coincidence people.
Link?
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/ ... the-house/

My take is that there was no new clerical error discovered, but that there was discussion over the Huffines' amendment: some senators were of the opinion that because the amendment was removed and then reinserted, the bill would go directly to Governor Abbott; others felt it would have to go back to the House for concurrence. The general counsel for the Senate (I believe this is Zachary Stephenson) made the decision that the bill did, indeed, have to go back to the House for a concurrence vote.

An inch at a time. I still have my fingers crossed.
Thanks. I was aware there was a minor difference in wording that would cause it to go to the house. Was afraid the "clerical error" referred to in the previous post was something else.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Rick Harris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rick Harris »

Breitbart Texas;
Keith Elkins, Communications Director for the Lt. Governor told Breitbart Texas the Senate will work with the House tomorrow to try and resolve the different versions and get concurrence. Governor Abbott has consistently said he would sign whatever open carry bill came to his desk. However, a Friday evening tweet by the Governor made some wonder if he was signaling a possible veto of the bill if it contained the Dutton/Huffines amendment.
Great ! More drama !

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Rick Harris wrote:Breitbart Texas;
Keith Elkins, Communications Director for the Lt. Governor told Breitbart Texas the Senate will work with the House tomorrow to try and resolve the different versions and get concurrence. Governor Abbott has consistently said he would sign whatever open carry bill came to his desk. However, a Friday evening tweet by the Governor made some wonder if he was signaling a possible veto of the bill if it contained the Dutton/Huffines amendment.
Great ! More drama !
I don't tweet, but I'd sure like to see what he said & not just a reference to it by a 3rd party. :???:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !
I don't tweet, but I'd sure like to see what he said & not just a reference to it by a 3rd party. :???:
https://twitter.com/GovAbbott" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't see anything from the Gov last night saying that.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ralewis wrote:
joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !

Many thanks R.A.! So for right now, we cannot verify if Abbott actually made that reference.....making it a rumor, and rumor only unless someone else can substantiate what the Governor allegedly said. So I'm discounting it. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

joe817 wrote:
ralewis wrote:
joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !

Many thanks R.A.! So for right now, we cannot verify if Abbott actually made that reference.....making it a rumor, and rumor only unless someone else can substantiate what the Governor allegedly said. So I'm discounting it. :tiphat:
I have a Twitter account that I never use and I know nothing about how Twitter works. Here's a link to a Twitter page listing Tweets under the hashtag #txleg. https://twitter.com/hashtag/txlege?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The alleged Abbott tweet is there and if you click on the "view photo" link, so is the image. Since I don't know how Twitter works, I can't say if all tweets under a hashtag show up in two places or only one. Remember Sen. Ellis' and West's support of the Huffines Amendment?

Chas.

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
joe817 wrote:
ralewis wrote:
joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !

I have a Twitter account that I never use and I know nothing about how Twitter works. Here's a link to a Twitter page listing Tweets under the hashtag #txleg. https://twitter.com/hashtag/txlege?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The alleged Abbott tweet is there and if you click on the "view photo" link, so is the image. Since I don't know how Twitter works, I can't say if all tweets under a hashtag show up in two places or only one. Remember Sen. Ellis' and West's support of the Huffines Amendment?

Chas.
I see nothing that would indicate a veto by Abbott.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bauerdj »

So the house just adjorned until tomorrow, Is there any likelehood of progress with HB910 then or is this going to continue into next week. Are prospects still good?

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
joe817 wrote:
ralewis wrote:
joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !

Chas.
I see one from the Austin American Statesman from 18 May but that's it. I'll also confess to not completely understanding Twitter....

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

ralewis wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
joe817 wrote:
ralewis wrote:
joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !

Chas.
I see one from the Austin American Statesman from 18 May but that's it. I'll also confess to not completely understanding Twitter....
Greg Abbott @GregAbbott_TX · 21h 21 hours ago
I strongly support this message. #txlege @TexasGOP
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess the above (From Gov Abbott's personal Twitter account -- not the official Governor account) is the Tweet in question. I guess I interpreted it at face value not a subtle hint about not supporting the amendment. Tweet did come out an hour or so after passage out of the Senate though.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RoyGBiv »

Seems to me that if the Governor supported OC a month ago after the House passed 910, there's no reason for him to not support the version that passed the Senate last night.

It only differs by a clerical error.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

ralewis wrote:
ralewis wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
joe817 wrote:
ralewis wrote:
joe817 wrote:
Great ! More drama !

Chas.
Greg Abbott @GregAbbott_TX · 21h 21 hours ago
I strongly support this message. #txlege @TexasGOP
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess the above (From Gov Abbott's personal Twitter account -- not the official Governor account) is the Tweet in question. I guess I interpreted it at face value not a subtle hint about not supporting the amendment. Tweet did come out an hour or so after passage out of the Senate though.
He supports law enforcement, so do a lot of us. Still don't understand how that my indicate a veto on the bill based on the amendment. What I am seeing is a lot of speculation about a lot of things that may or may not happen. Governor Abbott has promised to sign open carry bill if it reaches his desk and I take him at his word till he proves otherwise.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

RoyGBiv wrote:Seems to me that if the Governor supported OC a month ago after the House passed 910, there's no reason for him to not support the version that passed the Senate last night.

The issue comes from the fact that those who oppose the Dutton/Huffines amendments had a month to convince the governor and the house that it was a bad idea and a potential risk to the officers. All these people have to do is point to Kory Watkins' "Treason" video and actions as well as CJ Grisham's Oklahoma trip that Bloomberg's folks made a meme poster about to support those claims. I hope this goes on to be signed, but there is now good reason to doubt it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

safety1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by safety1 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Seems to me that if the Governor supported OC a month ago after the House passed 910, there's no reason for him to not support the version that passed the Senate last night.

I agree, it has been said that this amendment would have little affect and was all grandstanding.
The Gov. supported it coming out of the House with a VERY similar amendment.
Why the uproar now and now rumors the Gov will veto it??
I'm not point fingers at anyone....I'm confused as many of us are.
I understand the bill was suppose to come out of the senate "clean"
But those that striped the amendment in commitee knew the votes were there to get it back.
I understand there is workings and agrrements behind closed doors we dont know about.
With that said, it now feels like the "good guys" would like to see the bill die.
Again, Im not pointing fingers at ANYONE, I'm making and observation that I'm sure many are feeling the same
Ready for the tongue lashing that I'm sure is coming.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”