It's Not Just Gun Bills Being Stonewalled

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: It's Not Just Gun Bills Being Stonewalled

Post by joelamosobadiah »

mojo84 wrote:We shouldn't overestimate how many favor campus or open carry. I have many friends that own guns, hunt regularly and are generally what I'd call "gun guys" that don't give one whit about open carry our campus carry. Some didn't even know bills had been filed much less know their status.

Are even against open and concealed carry.
This^^

I have friends and acquaintances that seem to think that open carry and HB308 are both crazy extreme! Most of my "gun friends" agree with campus carry, however, to say all CHLs are on board with this legislation is definitely not accurate.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:We shouldn't overestimate how many favor campus or open carry. I have many friends that own guns, hunt regularly and are generally what I'd call "gun guys" that don't give one whit about open carry our campus carry. Some didn't even know bills had been filed much less know their status.

Additionally, there are many gun owners that will never carry every day and therefore will never go through the process of obtaining a CHL. There are, however, many gun owners that favor having the ability to occasionally strap on a gun without a license.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

TXBO wrote:
Ruark wrote:
TXBO wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote: It's a core issue to many, but how many? I've heard Mr. Cotton say that he prioritizes bills by the number of people they effect. There are almost 30 Million people in Texas. How many people will benefit from HB 910, 308 or campus carry?
There are over 800,000 CHL holders in Texas. There were 240,000 new CHL applicants in 2014 alone. By the end of 2015, there will be way over 1,000,000 CHL holders. So you have them, plus non-CHL holders who are sensitive to the issues, TSRA/NRA people are are sensitive in general to gun rights issues, and so on. That's a pretty big chunk of voters to have on your side.... or not.
Fair enough. Now compare that to the number of people that would benefit from property and business tax decreases.
That's fair enough, but when you make it the cornerstone of your parties platform....you better deliver!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Sorry Charles, I thought I was on topic as my point is that there may be more interest in the other bills that are being held up than there is for gun bills. Lots of people are frustrated at the lack of progress on bills effecting the issues they are supporting.

Trying to promote the bigger picture of what the problem is so the cause can be addressed.

Edit: Well, it looks like Charles removed his admonishment. :headscratch
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mojo84 wrote:Sorry Charles, I thought I was on topic as my point is that there may be more interest in the other bills that are being held up than there is for gun bills. Lots of people are frustrated at the lack of progress on bills effecting the issues they are supporting.

Trying to promote the bigger picture of what the problem is so the cause can be addressed.

Edit: Well, it looks like Charles removed his admonishment. :headscratch
You're fine; I deleted my post.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

:thumbs2:

Thought I was going crazier there for a second.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

psijac

Post by psijac »

TXBO wrote:

Additionally, there are many gun owners that will never carry every day and therefore will never go through the process of obtaining a CHL. There are, however, many gun owners that favor having the ability to occasionally strap on a gun without a license.
How many of those same people vote in elecetions on a consistent basis?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

psijac wrote:
TXBO wrote:

How many of those same people vote in elecetions on a consistent basis?
Rhetorical? I have no idea.

Ipconfig

Post by Ipconfig »

Some are even against open and concealed carry.
Well to be honest I am a CHL and carry daily. I also read this forum pretty much daily, and I dont give 1 whit about campus or open carry. There were more important bills this year that worried me instead of those.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Look, there is always talk of "political capital". A large measure was expended on OC to the detriment of expanded concealed carry and campus carry bills. However, now that its out there in the public eye, you can bet it will be used against firearms owners, and against the Republicans, if it's not passed. Whether or not a lot of people support the concept of OC, I'm more worried that not passing it will cast a shadow of "weakness", whatever my personal viewpoint toward OC.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

K.Mooneyham wrote:Look, there is always talk of "political capital". A large measure was expended on OC to the detriment of expanded concealed carry and campus carry bills. However, now that its out there in the public eye, you can bet it will be used against firearms owners, and against the Republicans, if it's not passed. Whether or not a lot of people support the concept of OC, I'm more worried that not passing it will cast a shadow of "weakness", whatever my personal viewpoint toward OC.
Very true! I'm for OC & Campus Carry but how often I would is another issue, this is a MUST do this session.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

You're very right about the political capital assessment. PErsonally, I believe that the original HB308 or Campus Carry would be more important than Open Carry, but with how much press OC has gotten, it's got to go. If it doesnt, the rebpuclican party in Texas will look like a bunch of baffoons, Abbot will have failed on a platform item of his, Patrick will have failed on one of his campiagn items (http://www.danpatrick.org/dan-patrick-d ... amendment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and Straus will have failed to further an item of his platform.

I really, really, truly, sincerely don't understand this session. This spat over taxes is regonk too. Just pick one (sales or property) and cut it, or cut 50% on either side!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

safety1

Post by safety1 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:You're very right about the political capital assessment. PErsonally, I believe that the original HB308 or Campus Carry would be more important than Open Carry, but with how much press OC has gotten, it's got to go. If it doesnt, the rebpuclican party in Texas will look like a bunch of baffoons, Abbot will have failed on a platform item of his, Patrick will have failed on one of his campiagn items (http://www.danpatrick.org/dan-patrick-d ... amendment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and Straus will have failed to further an item of his platform.

I really, really, truly, sincerely don't understand this session. This spat over taxes is regonk too. Just pick one (sales or property) and cut it, or cut 50% on either side!
Of topic but the tax breaks will be made back up in local taxes within a year or two..just saying.....back on topic!
NRA - Life Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I have never in my lifetime tried so hard to learn and understand the legislative process here in Texas, as I have for this session. True I've learned a BUNCH. And the more I learn the more I come to understand how much I don't know, or how naive I really am. Disappointment is a gross understatement.

I don't understand why there's only 140 days to get all business done that effects the next 2 years, in only 140 days.
I don't understand why there can be no floor debate on ANY bill introduced until the 92nd day after Congress convenes. By the time they get to floor debate 66%(actually 65.71%), time of the entire 84th Legislature has expired.
I don't understand why the first 3 or 4 weeks of floor action by either House or Senate was devoted exclusively(almost) to congratulatory, or recognition speeches and resolutions. To me, it seems like an unneeded squandering of precious little time.

FYI, there have been:
7,241 House bills filed for the 84th Legislature,
2,988 Senate bills filed for the 84th Legislature.

As of today, May 14, 2015 our Governor has signed 28 items into law. 16 of which were congratulatory or in recognition resolutions. ( http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... ignedbygov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I don't understand why the House Calendars Committee, and the Local Consent & Calendars Committee wield so much perceived control. In looking at their meetings, they meet literally only minutes at a time. Eg: on 05/08/15 they met for exactly 6 minutes to generate 3 calendars(May 11, May 12 & May 13) for a combined 55 bills. 55 bills placed on 3 calendars taking only 6 minutes start to finish. It don't make sense....I don't understand. UNLESS, all those bills were predetermined on which one's they are and when they'd be scheduled. Sure. I can make assumptions of who makes those pre-determinations, but I won't. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Charles' words of yesterday(or the day before) is haunting me. Something to the effect: "never in my 35 years of following the Legislature have I noticed that this is the LEAST productive Legislature of them all. (forgive me Charles if I butchered your quote.)

Haunting are those words. I wonder why? I don't understand. The Republicans hold majority over BOTH houses of Congress. Yet we see stonewalling, delay, procrastination....with a super majority. One would think that this session would be the MOST productive Legislature in many years. But that's not the case.

We are approaching the rubicon.....if we've not already crossed it.

I wonder why? I don't understand.

[we now return you to normal programming
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

It does indeed boggle the mind. I remember when it opened, they were giving out all those recognitions. You had school kids who traveled all the way across Texas to be there and be recognized - for them, the experience of a lifetime. But then you saw the presenter talking into empty space, with legislators standing right in front of him, ignoring him (and ignoring the kids) and having running conversations. It was embarrassing. If I had been one of those kids' dads and was there, I would have jumped up and yelled at them to shut the **** up and show a little respect. Probably would have been thrown out, but....

And you see the same thing now, when somebody's talking about a bill - people standing inches from them, blocking the view, jabbering, completely ignoring them like they were fenceposts, and NOBODY is listening. What kind of government is that?
-Ruark

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”