New bills about cops

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Re: New bills about cops

Post by mojo84 »

A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Good for you. I'm sure the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division's top priority is producing proof that satisfies your biased mind within your arbitrary timeframe that they were in fact already investigating Slager. They'll produce all the evidence they've collected if /when this goes to trial - same as every other case.
And thats the problem. Without the video nothing would have been done and both these guys would have gotten off scott free.

And again, there is no cause to suspend an officer until you have probable cause to believe they have violated policy or broken the law.
Lying in your report about attempting CPR is not cause to suspend them? is that the standard you want the public to expect from the police? You're digging a hole thats mighty deep.

Mighty petty gripes mean that call for DOJ oversight nationally is growing.

You're rehashing the same argument. There is no verifiable way for you to claim "nothing would've been done" without the video. Basically a false dilemma logical fallacy with a bit of correlative fallacy thrown in.

"Lying on your report about CPR" ... do you not understand that you can't take action against someone based in information you don't yet know? How between 9:30 Saturday and the release of the video on Monday was anyone supposed to KNOW that they didn't perform CPR? Geez, your standard is that unless an investigator is omniscient then they're investigation is bogus and only video can show the truth.

Investigations TAKE TIME. Deal with it. Get over it. Move on. The video helped immensely to speed up the process (as I've said repeatedly) but without the video the truth would've been revealed in due time.

Try some decaf

How would anyone know they didn't do CPR like they said if it wasn't for the video? :headscratch
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 9

Post by VMI77 »

A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
I think departments should issue body armor and provide a stipend for purchasing a handgun (which I think should, within certain needs dictated by department policy be a personal choice)...or a least a stipend for an officer to purchase his own body armor. Policing is one of the only legitimate functions of government so I have no problem with getting the funds from some other part of whatever budget.
Agreed. Why is this even an issue? Given the last few years the level of Homeland Security grants and surplus military hardware, why isn't body armor and sidearms easily available. To see Strykers piratically given away and officers having to buy their own armor and pistols is unacceptable.
Because the Pentagon gives what they have available. They could give surplus body armor, but unlike vehicles and weapons, body armor actually has an expiration date beyond which it is no longer guaranteed to function as specified (meaning actually stop the types of bullets it is supposed to stop). I know you don't care because you don't care if your agency's officer have armor to begin with - but conscientious police brass do care that their officers not wear substandard safety equipment to better protect the officer from harm and the department, and ultimately the government and your tax dollars from giant liability.
Yes it does, but it's 90% hype by those who sell body armor for the purpose of selling more body armor. Dupont has tested 30 year old body armor and it functions just like it did the day it was made. It does deteriorate if it gets wet and sweat will cause it to deteriorate over time. If it's sealed so it doesn't get wet it doesn't deteriorate. Merely being exposed to the air doesn't result in deterioration. I have some and it is sealed in a moisture proof liner. As long as the liner remains intact and doesn't admit moisture it will be fine.

The funny thing is, your contention that it's a liability issue is more of an argument that officers should buy their own body armor to relieve the department of that liability --or that the department provide a stipend for officers so they can buy their own armor. The department incurs all kinds of costs by issuing it themselves, and IF there is any liability, that too. It would be more cost effective to provide officers with an allowance and have them buy their own body armor. As it is now some departments buy new armor to replace armor that was never even worn and hence does not need to be replaced. A complete waste of money. But hey, just tax dollars, and someone may have a brother-in-law that sells body armor.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Body armor funding assistance. Better hurry, time is running out.

http://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/grants-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government and Federal Programs

The Bulletproof Vest Partnership (BVP) program provides up to 50 percent matching funds for agencies looking to purchase soft and tactical body armor for their officers. Established in 1998 by the Bulletproof Vest Partnership Grant Act, BVP is part of the U.S. Department of Justice initiative to provide critical resources to state and local law enforcement. Since 1999, over 13,000 jurisdictions have participated in the BVP Program, with $277 million in federal funds committed to support the purchase of an estimated 800,000 vests. Register your agency today!

Step 1 - Register
Register your agency by going to http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bvpbasi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. On the left navigation bar, click on “Getting Started”. Complete an online application detailing the total number, type and projected costs for the vests you are applying for. Wait for approval of your funds. The BVP makes funding decisions immediately after the open enrollment period. Applicants are notified by email regarding their fund awards.

Step 2 - Purchase Your Vest/s
Purchase the vest(s) needed by your agency. Only concealable and tactical body armor vests, that are certified to the NIJ Standard-0101.06 will qualify for BVP funding. Also all agencies will have to certify during the application process, that they have a “written” mandatory wear policy.

Step 3 - Retrieve Reimbursement
After you have purchased your vests, complete an online receiving report located at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bvpbasi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and request payment for reimbursement.

To learn more about the BVP Program please click here

Applications for FY15 BVP funding will be accepted through 6:00 PM ET, Tuesday, May 13, 2015.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

A-R
Posts in topic: 31

Post by A-R »

mojo84 wrote:How would anyone know they didn't do CPR like they said if it wasn't for the video? :headscratch
You're missing the point. CedarParkDad is desperately trying to find some reason Slager should've been charged or suspended BEFORE the video surfaced (as if the lack of any action against Slager prior to video release somehow proves the logical fallacy that without video there would be no charges against Slager ever). My point was that in the 48 hours between shooting and video release was not adequate time to develop probable cause of wrongdoing the old fashioned way. Doesn't mean probable cause wouldn't be developed in due time without video. Just means patience is required - something CPD obviously doesn't have.

Whether or not investigators could prove Slager lied about CPR without the video is meaningless. They could and would have proved he lied (we assume, no one has yet read his as-yet unreleased report) about the details of the shooting.

A-R

Post by A-R »

VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
I think departments should issue body armor and provide a stipend for purchasing a handgun (which I think should, within certain needs dictated by department policy be a personal choice)...or a least a stipend for an officer to purchase his own body armor. Policing is one of the only legitimate functions of government so I have no problem with getting the funds from some other part of whatever budget.
Agreed. Why is this even an issue? Given the last few years the level of Homeland Security grants and surplus military hardware, why isn't body armor and sidearms easily available. To see Strykers piratically given away and officers having to buy their own armor and pistols is unacceptable.
Because the Pentagon gives what they have available. They could give surplus body armor, but unlike vehicles and weapons, body armor actually has an expiration date beyond which it is no longer guaranteed to function as specified (meaning actually stop the types of bullets it is supposed to stop). I know you don't care because you don't care if your agency's officer have armor to begin with - but conscientious police brass do care that their officers not wear substandard safety equipment to better protect the officer from harm and the department, and ultimately the government and your tax dollars from giant liability.
Yes it does, but it's 90% hype by those who sell body armor for the purpose of selling more body armor. Dupont has tested 30 year old body armor and it functions just like it did the day it was made. It does deteriorate if it gets wet and sweat will cause it to deteriorate over time. If it's sealed so it doesn't get wet it doesn't deteriorate. Merely being exposed to the air doesn't result in deterioration. I have some and it is sealed in a moisture proof liner. As long as the liner remains intact and doesn't admit moisture it will be fine.

The funny thing is, your contention that it's a liability issue is more of an argument that officers should buy their own body armor to relieve the department of that liability --or that the department provide a stipend for officers so they can buy their own armor. The department incurs all kinds of costs by issuing it themselves, and IF there is any liability, that too. It would be more cost effective to provide officers with an allowance and have them buy their own body armor. As it is now some departments buy new armor to replace armor that was never even worn and hence does not need to be replaced. A complete waste of money. But hey, just tax dollars, and someone may have a brother-in-law that sells body armor.
Well as long as 30-year-old body armor has the VMI77 seal of approval :thumbs2:

I've actually seen expired body armor stop rounds larger and faster than it was rated to stop before expiration. And if you want to wear expired armor to a gunfight, by all means go ahead. But if you want to mandate someone enter a gunfight (police have a duty to act) then you have a moral obligation to provide them with the best equipment for that dangerous job. If and probably, even likely, are not words I want to hear when choosing a life saving device. Would you board a plane that has a 90% chance of completing the flight and landing safely?

Come on, get real.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Perspective

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

A-R wrote:Perspective

I'm not getting in the argument. However, I have an honest question. When a couple cop buddies shared that with me, the thing that popped in my head is that is a two way street. What percentage of the cop contacts turned out to be a citizen that turned on and harmed the cop? What is the percentage of total contacts were cops killed?

A-R

Post by A-R »

mojo84 wrote:
A-R wrote:Perspective

I'm not getting in the argument. However, I have an honest question. When a couple cop buddies shared that with me, the thing that popped in my head is that is a two way street. What percentage of the cop contacts turned out to be a citizen that turned on and harmed the cop? What is the percentage of total contacts were cops killed?
I have no idea, nor does it matter for purposes of my answer, which is this (stay with me):

In any police contact, both the cop and the subject(s) want to go home, alive. Who holds the key to everyone going home alive?

Has a subject ever just up and shot a cop with no warning and for seemingly no reason other than cold-blooded murder ( in the immortal words of a Johnny Cash, "just to watch him die") ? Yes, many times (2 NYPD are the most recent high profile example).

Has a cop ever just up and shot a subject in cold blood? Not that I can recall. Law of averages etc., I'm sure at some point it has happened but I honestly can't remember it.

When do most deaths occur in contact between cop & subject? When the subject resists, by fight or flight. Therefore, the SUBJECT, not the cop, holds the key to whether both go home alive in the vast majority of incidents.

I keep hearing cops should be held to a higher standard - they are. Cops must anticipate and react, appropriately, reasonably, legally, and within policy to an action that the subject starts and controls.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

A-R wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

I've actually seen expired body armor stop rounds larger and faster than it was rated to stop before expiration. And if you want to wear expired armor to a gunfight, by all means go ahead. But if you want to mandate someone enter a gunfight (police have a duty to act) then you have a moral obligation to provide them with the best equipment for that dangerous job. If and probably, even likely, are not words I want to hear when choosing a life saving device. Would you board a plane that has a 90% chance of completing the flight and landing safely?

Come on, get real.
Wow, talk about a non-sequitur.....well, two non-sequiturs. Dupont did the test, not me. And I have no idea where you got a 90% chance of anything, much less a 90% reliability for body armor number that you're apparently nonsensically comparing to a 90% chance of a plane completing a flight.

Moral obligation this, moral obligation that.....I don't think you actually know what morality is. No one has a "moral obligation" to provide you with anything at someone else's expense. In the first place, no one mandates anyone become a LEO and be involved in a gunfight. That's a choice an individual makes knowing what the risks are --or in ignorance....doesn't matter, if the choice was made freely, the individual is still responsible for that choice and determining the risks. If it were "mandated" and you had no choice you might have somewhat of a point, but your whole argument is based on the false claim that someone is forced to be a LEO.

And wow, because an individual chooses to become a LEO it confers a moral obligation on someone else to provide them with the best equipment? Are you a government employee by chance? A choice YOU make cannot confer a moral obligation on another person. This isn't a world where your choice to do something confers any moral obligation on another person to provide you with the best of anything.

Geez, time to dismount the moral high horse and get real.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

Referencing people as "subjects" reveals an us against them mentality...

We are "people" not "subjects".

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Abraham wrote:Referencing people as "subjects" reveals an us against them mentality...

We are "people" not "subjects".
A word choice that is the product of a Freudian slip or telling attitude? Ashamed to say it didn't register with me first time around. I guess that's a measure of how much I too have accepted how language and meaning has been corrupted in modern America.

A-R

Post by A-R »

VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Come on, get real.
Wow, talk about a non-sequitur.....well, two non-sequiturs. Dupont did the test, not me. And I have no idea where you got a 90% chance of anything, much less a 90% reliability for body armor number that you're apparently nonsensically comparing to a 90% chance of a plane completing a flight.

Moral obligation this, moral obligation that.....I don't think you actually know what morality is. No one has a "moral obligation" to provide you with anything at someone else's expense. In the first place, no one mandates anyone become a LEO and be involved in a gunfight. That's a choice an individual makes knowing what the risks are --or in ignorance....doesn't matter, if the choice was made freely, the individual is still responsible for that choice and determining the risks. If it were "mandated" and you had no choice you might have somewhat of a point, but your whole argument is based on the false claim that someone is forced to be a LEO.

And wow, because an individual chooses to become a LEO it confers a moral obligation on someone else to provide them with the best equipment? Are you a government employee by chance? A choice YOU make cannot confer a moral obligation on another person. This isn't a world where your choice to do something confers any moral obligation on another person to provide you with the best of anything.

Society mandates upon all police a DUTY to act. So yes, society has a moral obligation to provide the best tools possible for police to carry out their duty. Sorry you're so warped by your pseudo anarcho-libertarian belief structure that you can't fathom this concept, but I'm done explaining it to you. YOU stated police are one of the few legitimate government functions. So pony up, man up, or shut up.

I'm done responding to your blather.

But go ahead, type another windbaggery retort if it makes you feel superior.

I'll rest on my morals.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

A-R wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Come on, get real.

Society mandates upon all police a DUTY to act. So yes, society has a moral obligation to provide the best tools possible for police to carry out their duty. Sorry you're so warped by your pseudo anarcho-libertarian belief structure that you can't fathom this concept, but I'm done explaining it to you. YOU stated police are one of the few legitimate government functions. So pony up, man up, or shut up.

I'll rest on my morals.
You can't explain what you clearly don't understand so I get the name calling and tap dancing.

I'd just move on but I can't let pass the blatantly FALSE claim that society mandates a duty to act for all police. "rlol" Courts, including the US Supreme Court, have ruled several times that the police have no duty to act in any specific instance.

This is going to be long winded because I'm going to go ahead and cite the court cases that make it clear that police DO NOT have a duty to act. Since this information should be known to a police officer, and since even if it isn't, it is a trivial effort to find out, I have to conclude, since you keep repeating the duty to act mantra, that you're more interested in mythology than fact:

Let's go with the MSM first:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... .html?_r=0
Published: June 28, 2005

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.
What do police chiefs have to say on the subject?

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/maga ... e_id=72004
No Duty to Protect: Two Exceptions

By L. Cary Unkelbach, Assistant County Attorney Representing the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office, Centennial, Colorado

Law enforcement generally does not have a federal constitutional duty to protect one private person from another. For example, if a drunk driver injures a pedestrian or a drug dealer beats up an informant, agencies and their officers usually would not be liable for those injuries because there was no duty to protect.
Generally, the Due Process Clause does not provide an affirmative right to government aid, "even where such aid may be necessary to secure life, liberty, or property interests of which the government itself may not deprive the individual."
Those interested can read the entire article, but I will summarize the two exceptions for brevity: there is a duty to protect 1) a person in police custody; and 2) from State created danger. For example:
At least three circuits have set forth specific tests to determine if a state-created danger exception exists. The Third Circuit requires the plaintiff to show that (1) the harm ultimately caused was foreseeable and fairly direct, (2) the state actor willfully disregarded plaintiff's safety, (3) there existed some relationship between the state and the plaintiff, and (4) the state actors used their authority to create an opportunity that otherwise would not have existed for the third party's crime to occur.
I would think people who have made the effort to obtain a CHL and post on a CHL blog would know this, but....

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/23/nra-p ... o-protect/
“… a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.”

“The duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists.”
Opinions rendered decades ago by the DC superior court and DC court of appeals based on years of SC precedence.

How about a crime in progress that they witness?

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/27/city_ar ... al_dut.php
It later turned out that Howell and fellow officer Tamara Taylor, who were part of the manhunt looking for Gelman, had locked themselves in the front room with the conductor because they thought Gelman had a gun. Lozito told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "When the news was brought to my attention that police had an opportunity to intervene and maybe prevent the whole incident, and it was explained to me they chose to stay in the motorman's compartment instead of coming out, I was very upset."

Lozito sued for negligence, but city lawyers say his demand for unspecified money damages should be tossed because the police had no “special duty” to protect him or any individual on the train that day—there's a long-standing legal precedent requiring cops to put the public safety of all ahead of any one individual’s rights. According to the official NYPD account and Howell’s affidavit, Howell was the one who tackled and subdued Gelman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksim_Gelman
In the spring of 2012, Joseph Lozito, who was brutally stabbed and "grievously wounded, deeply slashed around the head and neck", sued police for negligence in failing to render assistance to Lozito as he was being attacked by Gelman.[17][18][19] Lozito told reporters that he decided to file the lawsuit after learning from "a grand-jury member" that NYPD officer Terrance Howell testified that he hid from Gelman before and while Lozito was being attacked because Howell thought Gelman had a gun.[20][21] In response to the suit, attorneys for the City of New York argued that police had no duty to protect Lozito or any other person from Gelman.[20] On July 25, 2013, Judge Margaret Chan dismissed Lozito's suit; stating while sympathetic to the Lozito's account and not doubting his testimony, agreed that police had "no special duty" to protect Lozito
http://www.ehow.com/list_7573433_respon ... izens.html
There is a common misconception that a police officer's duty is to protect to the exclusion of his own safety. While police department training methods vary between regions, one universal goal of any police training program is to ensure that officers avoid taking unnecessary risks. This means waiting for back-up, working with a partner whenever possible and only using direct confrontation as a last resort.
And in fact, there have been plenty of instances where police waited for backup while people were being killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidr ... s_massacre
Within ten minutes, the police had arrived at the correct restaurant. Immediately, a lockdown was imposed on an area spanning six blocks from the site of the shootings.[13] The police also established a command post two blocks from the restaurant, and deployed 175 officers in strategic locations. (These officers would be joined by SWAT team members within the hour, who also took positions around the McDonald's restaurant.)
The incident had lasted for 78 minutes, during which time Huberty fired 257 rounds of ammunition, killing 20 people and wounding 20 others, one of whom died the following day. Seventeen of the victims were killed inside the restaurant, with four additional victims killed in the immediate vicinity of the restaurant. Several victims had tried to stanch their bleeding with napkins—often in vain.
For 68 minutes, the police took no action to stop the rampage. During this time people were bleeding to death inside and outside the restaurant. Police never attempted to enter the restaurant and the nut job was finally killed by a sniper.

So, neither in law or in actual police procedures is there any duty to act. None. Nada. Zip. Now, there absolutely are heroic LEOs, but there is no legal duty for them to act, and police procedures often call for officers not to act until it is safe to do so. Furthermore, the factual reality is that a LEO who doesn't act will be punished no more severely than any other employee who doesn't do a job. A LEO could watch someone murdered right in front of him and do nothing. The worst that will happen to him is being fired.

Now I agree that most would not do that. Most would in fact act, and most became LEOs to act in such situations, but there is nothing other than their conscience that compels them to do so. And once again, people CHOOSE to become LEOs.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
A-R wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Come on, get real.

I'll rest on my morals.
You can't explain what you clearly don't understand so I get the name calling and tap dancing.

I'd just move on but I can't let pass the blatantly FALSE claim that society mandates a duty to act for all police. "rlol" Courts, including the US Supreme Court, have ruled several times that the police have no duty to act in any specific instance.

This is going to be long winded because I'm going to go ahead and cite the court cases that make it clear that police DO NOT have a duty to act. Since this information should be known to a police officer, and since even if it isn't, it is a trivial effort to find out, I have to conclude, since you keep repeating the duty to act mantra, that you're more interested in mythology than fact:

Let's go with the MSM first:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... .html?_r=0
Published: June 28, 2005

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.
What do police chiefs have to say on the subject?

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/maga ... e_id=72004
No Duty to Protect: Two Exceptions

By L. Cary Unkelbach, Assistant County Attorney Representing the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office, Centennial, Colorado

Law enforcement generally does not have a federal constitutional duty to protect one private person from another. For example, if a drunk driver injures a pedestrian or a drug dealer beats up an informant, agencies and their officers usually would not be liable for those injuries because there was no duty to protect.
Generally, the Due Process Clause does not provide an affirmative right to government aid, "even where such aid may be necessary to secure life, liberty, or property interests of which the government itself may not deprive the individual."
Those interested can read the entire article, but I will summarize the two exceptions for brevity: there is a duty to protect 1) a person in police custody; and 2) from State created danger. For example:
At least three circuits have set forth specific tests to determine if a state-created danger exception exists. The Third Circuit requires the plaintiff to show that (1) the harm ultimately caused was foreseeable and fairly direct, (2) the state actor willfully disregarded plaintiff's safety, (3) there existed some relationship between the state and the plaintiff, and (4) the state actors used their authority to create an opportunity that otherwise would not have existed for the third party's crime to occur.
I would think people who have made the effort to obtain a CHL and post on a CHL blog would know this, but....

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/23/nra-p ... o-protect/
“… a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen.”

“The duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists.”
Opinions rendered decades ago by the DC superior court and DC court of appeals based on years of SC precedence.

How about a crime in progress that they witness?

http://gothamist.com/2013/01/27/city_ar ... al_dut.php
It later turned out that Howell and fellow officer Tamara Taylor, who were part of the manhunt looking for Gelman, had locked themselves in the front room with the conductor because they thought Gelman had a gun. Lozito told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "When the news was brought to my attention that police had an opportunity to intervene and maybe prevent the whole incident, and it was explained to me they chose to stay in the motorman's compartment instead of coming out, I was very upset."

Lozito sued for negligence, but city lawyers say his demand for unspecified money damages should be tossed because the police had no “special duty” to protect him or any individual on the train that day—there's a long-standing legal precedent requiring cops to put the public safety of all ahead of any one individual’s rights. According to the official NYPD account and Howell’s affidavit, Howell was the one who tackled and subdued Gelman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksim_Gelman
In the spring of 2012, Joseph Lozito, who was brutally stabbed and "grievously wounded, deeply slashed around the head and neck", sued police for negligence in failing to render assistance to Lozito as he was being attacked by Gelman.[17][18][19] Lozito told reporters that he decided to file the lawsuit after learning from "a grand-jury member" that NYPD officer Terrance Howell testified that he hid from Gelman before and while Lozito was being attacked because Howell thought Gelman had a gun.[20][21] In response to the suit, attorneys for the City of New York argued that police had no duty to protect Lozito or any other person from Gelman.[20] On July 25, 2013, Judge Margaret Chan dismissed Lozito's suit; stating while sympathetic to the Lozito's account and not doubting his testimony, agreed that police had "no special duty" to protect Lozito
http://www.ehow.com/list_7573433_respon ... izens.html
There is a common misconception that a police officer's duty is to protect to the exclusion of his own safety. While police department training methods vary between regions, one universal goal of any police training program is to ensure that officers avoid taking unnecessary risks. This means waiting for back-up, working with a partner whenever possible and only using direct confrontation as a last resort.
And in fact, there have been plenty of instances where police waited for backup while people were being killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ysidr ... s_massacre
Within ten minutes, the police had arrived at the correct restaurant. Immediately, a lockdown was imposed on an area spanning six blocks from the site of the shootings.[13] The police also established a command post two blocks from the restaurant, and deployed 175 officers in strategic locations. (These officers would be joined by SWAT team members within the hour, who also took positions around the McDonald's restaurant.)
The incident had lasted for 78 minutes, during which time Huberty fired 257 rounds of ammunition, killing 20 people and wounding 20 others, one of whom died the following day. Seventeen of the victims were killed inside the restaurant, with four additional victims killed in the immediate vicinity of the restaurant. Several victims had tried to stanch their bleeding with napkins—often in vain.
For 68 minutes, the police took no action to stop the rampage. During this time people were bleeding to death inside and outside the restaurant. Police never attempted to enter the restaurant and the nut job was finally killed by a sniper.

So, neither in law or in actual police procedures is there any duty to act. None. Nada. Zip. Now, there absolutely are heroic LEOs, but there is no legal duty for them to act, and police procedures often call for officers not to act until it is safe to do so. Furthermore, the factual reality is that a LEO who doesn't act will be punished no more severely than any other employee who doesn't do a job. A LEO could watch someone murdered right in front of him and do nothing. The worst that will happen to him is being fired.

Now I agree that most would not do that. Most would in fact act, and most became LEOs to act in such situations, but there is nothing other than their conscience that compels them to do so. And once again, people CHOOSE to become LEOs.
This is a prime example why every State should be "Constitutional Carry."

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

MeMelYup wrote: This is a prime example why every State should be "Constitutional Carry."
The MSM doesn't publicize it, but various law enforcement agencies and courts have argued than an individual is responsible for his own defense because the police can't be everywhere for everyone. Makes perfect sense but it doesn't advance the anti gun agenda so it isn't discussed except in pro gun media. In fact, the MSM and the anti gun crowd falsely assert that people should rely on the police when they know full well that it is a physical impossibility for the police to protect everyone and the courts have consistently ruled that the police have no duty to protect any particular individual. This belies the supposed anti gun agenda and makes pretty clear that the real objective of this crowd is to render people defenseless.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”