TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 7953
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#1

Post by ELB »

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Senate currently lacks the votes to pass permitless carry of handguns

It takes 18 votes in the Senate to pass a bill. There are 18 Republican senators. This should be a no-brainer.

The way the article quotes Patrick it appears the "law enforcement community" is opposing the bill and has some sway.

Also
On Friday afternoon, one key GOP senator, Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo, suggested he may not be immediately supportive of the proposal. He told The Texas Tribune that his office was still researching the issue and he tends to support "just about all" bills related to gun rights, but the "system that we have now works." He said it was too early to say whether he would block the bill from coming to the floor or vote against it if it made it to the floor.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
“The only thing more enjoyable than seeing your opponent lose an election they rigged is seeing them lose an investigation they rigged.” Author unknown but dead on the mark.
User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

ELB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Senate currently lacks the votes to pass permitless carry of handguns

It takes 18 votes in the Senate to pass a bill. There are 18 Republican senators. This should be a no-brainer.

The way the article quotes Patrick it appears the "law enforcement community" is opposing the bill and has some sway.

Also
On Friday afternoon, one key GOP senator, Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo, suggested he may not be immediately supportive of the proposal. He told The Texas Tribune that his office was still researching the issue and he tends to support "just about all" bills related to gun rights, but the "system that we have now works." He said it was too early to say whether he would block the bill from coming to the floor or vote against it if it made it to the floor.
As someone who just paid $38.00 to change my address on LTC in order to exercise a constitutional right, No the current system does not work.
User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 8469
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#3

Post by RoyGBiv »

:roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek
User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 8469
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#4

Post by RoyGBiv »

ELB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pmThe way the article quotes Patrick it appears the "law enforcement community" is opposing the bill and has some sway.
Democrat run big city LE, maybe. Chicken Littles.

Unlicensed carry is not a big issue for me, except that it's embarrassing that we don't yet have it.
I'd rather see fewer off limits places or an enhanced permit that gets me fewer off limits places. But I support passing unlicensed carry for sure.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek
User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 2886
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#5

Post by Flightmare »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 pm
ELB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pmThe way the article quotes Patrick it appears the "law enforcement community" is opposing the bill and has some sway.
Democrat run big city LE, maybe. Chicken Littles.

Unlicensed carry is not a big issue for me, except that it's embarrassing that we don't yet have it.
I'd rather see fewer off limits places or an enhanced permit that gets me fewer off limits places. But I support passing unlicensed carry for sure.
You will typically see the opposition coming from appointed political figures (chiefs and deputy/assistant chiefs). Most of the rank and file I've spoken with is in favor of permitless carry.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#6

Post by chasfm11 »

"Law Enforcement" opposition = Art Acevedo.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#7

Post by Papa_Tiger »

chasfm11 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm "Law Enforcement" opposition = Art Acevedo.
He's in Miami now.
User avatar

Syntyr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1595
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Houston

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#8

Post by Syntyr »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:20 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm "Law Enforcement" opposition = Art Acevedo.
He's in Miami now.
Yep but it's still the appointed political positions:
PD Chief Houston
PD Chief Dallas
PD Chief Austin
PD Chief San Antonio

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 14225
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#9

Post by philip964 »

It’s not a big issue with me. I would prefer less restrictions on where I can carry. Liability for injuries due to not providing security if they post signs.

I’ll figure everyone is carrying, if it passes. I assume the police already think that.

But first mass shooting after it passes, they will blame the bill.

With that handsome Austin actor as Governor, no telling what might happen.

I just don’t want to go backwards from where we are here.

If that means going this way then, it ought to happen.

crazy2medic
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#10

Post by crazy2medic »

Which RINO's sre not backing this?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker
User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 26071
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#11

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:46 pm Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says Senate currently lacks the votes to pass permitless carry of handguns

It takes 18 votes in the Senate to pass a bill. There are 18 Republican senators. This should be a no-brainer.

The way the article quotes Patrick it appears the "law enforcement community" is opposing the bill and has some sway.

Also
On Friday afternoon, one key GOP senator, Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo, suggested he may not be immediately supportive of the proposal. He told The Texas Tribune that his office was still researching the issue and he tends to support "just about all" bills related to gun rights, but the "system that we have now works." He said it was too early to say whether he would block the bill from coming to the floor or vote against it if it made it to the floor.
Maybe it’s time for Seliger to find out that elections have consequences.
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings. BTW, have you noticed that the topographical contours of local lake bottoms seem to have changed and become more rich in aluminum alloys and polymers in the last 10 years?

TheSoundGrip
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#12

Post by TheSoundGrip »

Getting closer and closer every day to leaving Texas. :banghead: Hate to say it, but this really is the next California. It's now deeper than just Austin becoming California.

Florida, here I come!
User avatar

ShamashAran
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#13

Post by ShamashAran »

TheSoundGrip wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:39 pm Getting closer and closer every day to leaving Texas. :banghead: Hate to say it, but this really is the next California. It's now deeper than just Austin becoming California.

Florida, here I come!
I left California for Texas because I THOUGHT Texas was a state that valued liberty.
I'm preparing to sell my house to either move farther into the country, or change states.

I'm beginning to agree with you about Florida, but they have a lot of Democrat areas, too.

Beginning to wonder if I should just get a few acres and a ton of solar cells and batteries and a well and pray I don't need them.
User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 10189
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#14

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

For those that say they are ready to leave Texas, I say, what's stopping you? GET ALREADY! We don't need weak people here for the struggle. We need fighters.
User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 10189
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: TX: Lt Gov Patrick says not enough Senate votes to pass Con Carry

#15

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Syntyr wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:59 pm
Papa_Tiger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:20 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm "Law Enforcement" opposition = Art Acevedo.
He's in Miami now.
Yep but it's still the appointed political positions:
PD Chief Houston
PD Chief Dallas
PD Chief Austin
PD Chief San Antonio

Not just appointed positions but appointed positions in leftist scum strong holds. DemoCraps have taken control of the major cities across our Republic.
Post Reply

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”