Unusual LEO Encounter (Non-CHL Related)

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Unusual LEO Encounter (Non-CHL Related)

Post by SewTexas »

the "stopped all across the state" bit bugs me....

but I love how you calmly handled the search question and how well he didn't push it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EEllis »

My understanding is that with most computerized depts, is there any that still aren't computerized? , is that it depends on the software they use. DPS definitely tracts warnings on their CAD system but warnings don't get to TCIC and are only available to the DPS. Many Depts do use software like Spillman which allows them to access data like warning tickets issued by their own Dept and any other Dept that chooses to share their data.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

When Rep. Garnett Coleman, the State Rep. who chairs some committee, subcommittee or ad hoc committee looking into the Sandra Bland suicide, lied about a traffic stop, the sheriff's dept. released the dash cam video and audio of the stop. Not only did it show Coleman was lying, the deputy could be heard telling him that "if the ______ county deputy had given [him] a ticket instead of a warning, [Coleman] would lose his drivers license on points." (Paraphrasing).

While I was thrilled that yet anther a liar had been exposed, I was surprised and concerned that information about warnings was available. While minor, it's yet another eroding of privacy.

Chas.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

SewTexas wrote:the "stopped all across the state" bit bugs me....

but I love how you calmly handled the search question and how well he didn't push it.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joelamosobadiah »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:When Rep. Garnett Coleman, the State Rep. who chairs some committee, subcommittee or ad hoc committee looking into the Sandra Bland suicide, lied about a traffic stop, the sheriff's dept. released the dash cam video and audio of the stop. Not only did it show Coleman was lying, the deputy could be heard telling him that "if the ______ county deputy had given [him] a ticket instead of a warning, [Coleman] would lose his drivers license on points." (Paraphrasing).

While I was thrilled that yet anther a liar had been exposed, I was surprised and concerned that information about warnings was available. While minor, it's yet another eroding of privacy.

Chas.
I completely agree. Even my brother (who is a local city LEO) was surprised and sceptical that this information was available to some agencies.

tlt

Post by tlt »

I'm certainly pro LEO. It is rather disconcerting however that information on stops is being collected, and subsequently used against individuals who have not been otherwise convicted. I am with Chas. that this is a further erosion of our liberties. Where in TX law is this OK, and what can be done about it?

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Once they get a network of license plate readers online they will have no need to ask any questions.
You may have the last word.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I think the reason the LEO gave you a warning citation was to lull you into a sense of gratitude-so you would be more willing to consent to a search.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

tlt wrote:I'm certainly pro LEO. It is rather disconcerting however that information on stops is being collected, and subsequently used against individuals who have not been otherwise convicted. I am with Chas. that this is a further erosion of our liberties. Where in TX law is this OK, and what can be done about it?

This is not only permitted, but required by the law. Article 2.132 of the Code of Criminal Procedure requires officers to collect data from every traffic stop and report it to TCOLE once per year. The easiest way to get the information is from tickets, including warnings. And yes, an unintended consequence of this was more written tickets and warnings and very few, if any, verbal warnings. The other unintended consequence was fewer stops by many officers who did not want to be forced to give written warnings or citations.

And the worst part is that there has yet to be any proof of racial profiling or not profiling through the statistics gathered. Those on both sides of the issue contend that the statistics support their argument.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”