Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY
(m) It is a defense to prosecution under Section 46.03 that the actor:
- carries a handgun on a premises or other property on which the carrying of a weapon is prohibited under that section;
- personally received from the owner of the property, or from another person with apparent authority to act for the owner, notice that carrying a firearm or other weapon on the premises or other property, as applicable, was prohibited; and
- promptly departed from the premises or other property.
Question 2: Why are there two paragraph (m)s listed on this page?
Then we see this:
(n) The defense provided by Subsection (m) does not apply if:
- a sign described by Subsection (o) was posted prominently at each entrance to the premises or other property, as applicable; or
- at the time of the offense, the actor knew that carrying a firearm or other weapon on the premises or other property was prohibited.
(o) A person may provide notice that firearms and other weapons are prohibited under Section 46.03 on the premises or other property, as applicable, by posting a sign at each entrance to the premises or other property that:
- includes language that is identical to or substantially similar to the following: "Pursuant to Section 46.03, Penal Code (places weapons prohibited), a person may not carry a firearm or other weapon on this property";
- includes the language described by Subdivision (1) in both English and Spanish;
- appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
- is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
(q) Section 46.03(a)(8) does not apply if the actor:
- carries a handgun on a premises where a collegiate sporting event is taking place;
- holds a license to carry a handgun issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code; and
- was not given effective notice under Section 30.06 or 30.07 of this code, as applicable.
Question 4: I know that locations posted with 30.06 on college campuses are barred from carry, but I thought that college sports were barred even without the 30.06 posting, per 46.03(8). Am I mistaken here? Do they also need to post 30.06 to bar the college football games?