Belated Happy Birthday to the Forum

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Belated Happy Birthday to the Forum

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I can't believe I let an significant birthday slip by unnoticed. The TexasCHLforum was born nine years ago last Sunday. At 7:42pm on Dec. 22, 2004, the forum went live and I fully expected it to be top out around 250 Members and have a few dozen posts daily. Well, I certainly missed that guess by a mile and it's because of our Members and Moderators. You folks have made the Forum the best Texas gun-related website on the Internet. The decision was made never to accept any advertising so volume has never been a goal. The single motive for creating the Forum was to provide a place where accurate information can be presented and discussed in a friendly atmosphere.

Over the years the Forum has expanded and is no longer limited to discussions directly related to the Texas CHL. Through careful growth in scope, we have been able to avoid pitfalls that have befallen other discussion boards. Yes, there are occasional problems with people who joined with no intent to follow Forum rules and policies, but thanks to our Members refusal to allow them to destroy the "community" that has become the hallmark of the Forum, those people are quickly identified. The Mission Statement is copied below. I suspect the majority of our Members, new and old, haven't read it before or at least not in a long time, and this might be a good time to have a look at how and why the Forum came into being.

I want to thank my fellow Members for making the Forum a great place to discuss issues of importance. Your posts have made me laugh, get angry, scratch my head, redouble my resolve in the political arena, and they occasionally put a lump in my throat. That sounds like a family to me!

I also want to thank our Moderators who volunteer their time and talents to keep the Forum on track. There is much more going on behind the scenes than anyone is aware of, unless they have served as a moderator on another discussion board. Without these folks, the Forum would have either suffered a decline in quality and atmosphere, or I would have closed it, and I think most people know the option I would have chosen. The Forum quite literally would not exist today without our dedicated Moderators -- thanks folks!

Happy birthday Forum and Members!
Chas.
Mission Statement wrote:Mission Statement:

The mission of TexasCHLForum.com is to promote discussion of firearm related issues in an atmosphere that invites participation by as many people as possible. It is the Moderators' opinion that this goal can best be achieved by simply being courteous and civil to one another. This does not preclude disagreement on issues; rather it encourages thoughtful discussion. Absolutely no personal attacks will be tolerated.

Also, this is a "G" rated forum; please don't use any language (or substitutes like @#%$& or abbreviations). We want to encourage women (thus the Ladies Forum) and young people to educate themselves about lawful use of firearms, including the use of firearms in self-defense. That goal is furthered by avoiding language that many may find offensive.

Why TexasCHLForum Was Created - A History Lesson:
This board was launched because tx.guns had gotten to the point that honest discussions quickly turned into nothing more than personal attacks, often laced with profanity. When I posted a query as to whether there was any interest in the creation of a CHL forum, I was surprised at the number of emails I received. A common theme in those emails was the reluctance of many people to post questions, comments or opinions for fear that they would be attacked. So, I agreed to create Texas CHLforum and set about learning what was involved in setting up and running a bulletin board.

Since TexasCHLforum was launched in December, 2004, I've received several PMs and emails from TexasCHLforum Members expressing their gratitude for having a forum where they can post their opinions, comments and questions without being ridiculed. I too have posted my appreciation to you the members on more than one occasion. A forum or newsgroup doesn't go from a friendly and productive atmosphere to one of dissension and hostility over night, anymore than we lose or regain our Constitutional rights over night. Rather, they slowly decay amid growing insults and personal attacks. The only way I know to prevent the decline of TexasCHLforum is simply not to let the slide begin. Thankfully, you folks have done my job by not letting it happen.

I am very serious about getting more women and young people involved in TexasCHLforum. While I'd rather not read off-color language in posts, for the most part I'm not personally offended by language I see on other forums, so long as it's not part of a personal attack. However, many women are quickly turned off by foul language and will avoid what can be an excellent resource. (Also, parents will not refer their kids to a web site that allows or tolerates vulgar language.) The members represent a wealth of training, experience and expertise that can be invaluable to the ladies, but we have to make them feel welcome. Many of the members know me personally, most do not. Among those that know me, relatively few know why getting more women involved is more than a goal for me, it's a quest. So, if we guys have to refrain from using some of the more colorful language we'd use over beer and burgers, then so be it. It's for a good cause. (We can use the more descriptive language when we meet at the range and swap lies about our shooting prowess!)

I hope this helps to explain the goals for TexasCHLforum and why I believe we have to operate by a bit tighter standard.

Thanks for registering and welcome to TexasCHLForum,
Chas.

WildBill

Re: Belated Happy Birthday to the Forum

Post by WildBill »

Thanks Charles, Moderators, and Members - I am looking forward to another good year on the forum.
:thewave
NRA Endowment Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:Thanks Charles, Moderators, and Members - I am looking forward to another good year on the forum.
Ditto. :thumbs2:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Shucks, I missed it too. I signed on at 5:10 PM December 23, 2004. I have seen this site grow and mature over the years. I've made many online friends and some "real" ones here. Happy Belated Birthday Texas CHL forum! :tiphat: :party: :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Charles and crew, happy birthday and thank you for all the hard work and dedication you have put into this forum. It has become my favorite place to be on the internet and I wish you nothing but success in the future.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Thank you to Charles and Moderators for an awesome board! We recommend this forum often as an excellent resource. One of my daughters participates occasionally, and the other reads occasionally. I have never had to worry about them being on this forum. Nor have I had to worry about those we have referred here being offended by what they read. While we may not always agree, for the most part this is an amazing group! Thanks to the members as well for their contribution.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Estand

Post by Estand »

Thank you Charles and Moderators, I have learned much here and encourage others to read & participate here as well when I can.
:cheers2:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Thanks Charles for your creation and all your efforts keeping this the best gun forum of any kind. Period! Thanks to you moderators as well and Happy Birthday TexasCHLforum.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Kudos to Chas, the Mods, and all the responsible members.
This forum is a valuable resource to me and the "rules" are reasonable.
Thanks!
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles, congratulations on it lasting this long and growing this big. Just a few days ago, I shut down a forum that had lasted 10-1/2 years, but was down to a very small handful of members who rarely ever posted anymore. The site's history was probably typical for the genre, so it is a testament to the quality of THIS site that it has not long lasted as long as it has, but that it has flourished.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Thanks to Charles and all the Moderators. I use the forum often and recommend it to all of my CHL students and anyone else interested. There is always good information, timely answers, and most of all, a pleasant atmosphere.

:txflag:

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”