Issues with forum moderation

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

KBCraig wrote:The tone here at TexasCHLforum is already set. The tone is one of politeness and clean language. The environment attracts people who appreciate such a community. Kevin
Very Well Said Kevin. That is exactly what caught my eye. My first week I had a thread locked and was told to behave :oops: ! It is part of growth.

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GlockenHammer »

First, thanks to all who have given us moderators the benefit of the doubt and your appreciation.

For some of those that feel that there is a heavy hand in editing, I would like to point out that seldom do we actually edit a post manually. However, I would like to point out that the forum software has been programmed to detect certain words and phrases and replace them with more 10YOD-acceptable ones. These are automatic and not the result of a big-brother moderator looking over your shoulder, so you will not get a PM if this happens. (Please, if you must test this for yourself, please do it in the test section and then after you see the results, edit away your own test.)

I would also like to compliment you, the general membership. Just as we moderators often discuss questionable posts, threads or members, we also highlight the occasions where members have moderated themselves and turned threads we moderators were expecting to head for trouble back into productive threads. That is a great sign of maturity when the members are pro-active in this way.

In closing I would also like to compliment y'all on the quality of content we find here on Texas CHL Forum. After all, it is you, the members, that create the content that is valued by those that come here, not us. I too used to spend all of my on-line time on another forum. That forum pales in comparison to here for the reasons I've already mentioned. Even if I weren't a moderator, this would still be my "home" because of the quality of people and knowledge that is available here coupled with the restraint and maturity of all involved. So thanks to you, also.

Respectfully,
GH

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I think the Mods need another pay raise to go with their annual bonus. Oh, yeah, I forgot......they do this all voluntarily. I think alot of times people overlook the smaller aspect of being a mod like making sure topics are in the right place and answering the many messages that come their way. They're here to make sure things run smoothly, not babysit a group of people who should act like adults but don't.

My hat's off to you all for the time and efforts you make on here. It's by far, one of the best forums I frequent and an irreplaceable source of information for CHL holders.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txinvestigator »

Age Ranger, didn't you do that song in the '80s........Sister Christian?

:leaving
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seamusTX »

GlockenHammer wrote:I would like to point out that the forum software has been programmed to detect certain words and phrases and replace them with more 10YOD-acceptable ones. These are automatic and not the result of a big-brother moderator looking over your shoulder, so you will not get a PM if this happens. (Please, if you must test this for yourself, please do it in the test section and then after you see the results, edit away your own test.)
You can use the Preview button to see what the filters will do, then just close the window without posting the message.

- Jim

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lucky45 »

GlockenHammer wrote:First, thanks to all who have given us moderators the benefit of the doubt and your appreciation.

For some of those that feel that there is a heavy hand in editing, I would like to point out that seldom do we actually edit a post manually. However, I would like to point out that the forum software has been programmed to detect certain words and phrases and replace them with more 10YOD-acceptable ones. These are automatic and not the result of a big-brother moderator looking over your shoulder, so you will not get a PM if this happens.
That is fine. But there is a post in the CHL discussions about the metro incident on Page 4 which has been there for over 24 hours with language plain as day which is not 10yo language. Obviously the program didn't catch it, and I have recieved a PM instantly out of the blue, longtime ago about using the same word. It was edited.
So it is times like this that I was referring to where there isn't always uniformity in how discussions are moderated.

Like someone earlier referred to, that it seems like someone is looking over your shoulder and instead of monitoring language, they are editing certaing free flow of discussions and ideas which is not status quo.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Lucky45,
We now have a big job. It is not often but sometimes we do miss things. You can be sure there is no favorites being played. Several have said they were PMed. One Mod has shared his story.

Sugestion:
Prior to Moderation I PMed Charles several times on websites. I am one of the EARLY risers. Carlson1 did the same. He is the night shift.
Occasionally I receive a PM asking "What about this post." I go check it out.
About 3 weeks ago was the last time I got one of those.
If you see something we miss, call it to our attention & we will quickly & gladly look at it.
With way over a hundred posts a day now we can miss something.
Now sir,
You have had your public say, others have given their input about our fairness, I respectfully ask you to quit you public whining.
LT.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

txinvestigator wrote:Age Ranger, didn't you do that song in the '80s........Sister Christian?

:leaving
Great, now everyone is gonna know :???: LOL
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

"Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning." The same can be said about those who are opposite of wise. I love to read after you OLD men and learn from your wisdom. This forum has been one of the greatest sources of information I have seen and WITHOUT the smut! I thank Mr. Cotton for setting a wonderful pace and example. I refuse to think our society has downgraded to the point people cannot be wise and civil most of the time.

Good Post LT.

Lucky45
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lucky45 »

longtooth wrote:Lucky45,
We now have a big job. It is not often but sometimes we do miss things. You can be sure there is no favorites being played. Several have said they were PMed. One Mod has shared his story.

Sugestion:
Prior to Moderation I PMed Charles several times on websites. I am one of the EARLY risers. Carlson1 did the same. He is the night shift.
If you see something we miss, call it to our attention & we will quickly & gladly look at it.
Now sir,
You have had your public say, others have given their input about our fairness, I respectfully ask you to quit you public whining.
LT.
Thank you longtooth for pointing out exactly the mindset of what I was referring to. First off, the see, hear or speak no evil doesn't totally sit with me. That post with the language has been viewed almost 2000 times, so nobody else was concerned about the 10yo rule for over 24hrs??

Also, I thought I was writing in a topic which was relevant to my discussion with a different observation. So now all of a sudden, I'm whining? How about 2 lines; we missed that. Good catch, sorry.
Now, The truth shedding light on a little hyprocrisy is met with public chastising. So tell me where I was off topic?
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GlockenHammer »

Lucky45,

Let me try my explanation. Sometimes we miss stuff. Once we've viewed posts, we generally don't have time to re-read them. If they pass our scrutiny once (even if we miss something really obvious--and that has happened), it could be viewed a million times without us taking additional action.

As LT said, if you see something you think is not within the guidelines, bring it up to a moderator or post yourself in that thread reminding folks of the rules. Others have done both of those and generally to good effect.

Let's not let this thing get personal. As many have said, we try really hard to be unbiased and fair. It is a tough job and we're doing our best. Why don't we get back to discussing guns and CHL issues?

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txinvestigator »

Lucky45 wrote:
longtooth wrote:Lucky45,

Sugestion:
Now sir,
LT.
Thank you longtooth for pointing out exactly the mindset of what I was referring to. First off, the see, hear or speak no evil doesn't totally sit with me. That post with the language has been viewed almost 2000 times, so nobody else was concerned about the 10yo rule for over 24hrs??

Also, I thought I was writing in a topic which was relevant to my discussion with a different observation. So now all of a sudden, I'm whining? How about 2 lines; we missed that. Good catch, sorry.
Now, The truth shedding light on a little hyprocrisy is met with public chastising. So tell me where I was off topic?
:banghead: You act like you are the only person who has been edited/censored here, or had a post you didn't like be allowed to remain.

*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Can this thread be locked yet?

:deadhorse:
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

bigdook

Post by bigdook »

personaly i love this website and the rules, my daughter can read anything she want to on here because of the great moderators. my only sugestion is if someone doesnt like the rules they can go elsewere or maybe develope their own website with their own rules.(just a sugestion)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~Benjamin Franklin

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

txinvestigator wrote: Image
:smilelol5: :lol:: :rolll :lol:

That's a nice touch there.

Since we are on the subject. I have had a post deleted. I think it was before I hit 50 posts. Like a little green wise man(Or what ever he is.) once said. "Fear, Anger, Jealousy, will all lead to the dark side." Or something to that effect. You just have to learn to let it go or else its gunna eat you up.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”