Taurus Judge that shoots .45 and 410

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
IsraelisJewish
Posts in topic: 4

Taurus Judge that shoots .45 and 410

Post by IsraelisJewish »

I was watching the You tube videos and saw a bunch on the Taurus Judge that shoots 45 AND 410. I thought it would be highly rated by all as it shoots 45. It was interesting to me that many if not most of the reviews were negative. I don't understand this because it shoots 45 size ammo. I saw also that it was talked about how it was not accurate beyond about ten yards. However, don't most encounters where one is forced to use their chl weapon occur at about ten yards or closer? That would make that a moot point for me. (I think the "accurate" issue was when using the 410 ammo anyway). I don't think I would put 410 ammo in to carry it around. And I am not saying it would be a good carry handgun. I just don't know, size and all. It seems to me that a 1911 is pretty big also. This is just an interesting issue and I would like to hear comments on it. I guess I thought any handgun that shoots 45 (assuming it is safe and in good working order) would be . . . "good".
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taurus Judge that shoots .45 and 410

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I'm pretty sure it shoots 45LC not 45 ACP
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

The Smith and Wesson governor shots 45acp
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

So is 45LC not a lethal size if you defended yourself with it? (As far as 45 ammo goes). I know of course, any size ammo COULD be lethal. I hope you get what I am asking here, not trying to argue or something.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

joe817

Post by joe817 »

IsraelisJewish wrote:So is 45LC not a lethal size if you defended yourself with it? (As far as 45 ammo goes). I know of course, any size ammo COULD be lethal. I hope you get what I am asking here, not trying to argue or something.
Ohhhhh the .45 LC is PLENTY lethal. Using modern, smokeless powder, it approaches the ballistics of a .44 magnum!

"Some handloads and factory manufactured cartridges put this round in the same class as the .44 Magnum"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt

The fact that the Judge can shoot both .45LC & .410 shotshell, makes it an interesting gun. But IMO, it would be an awfully awkward gun for every day carry. A good gun to take with you hunting as a secondary firearm, or a good home defense weapon. It's huge. To big for me.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

Yep, it does border on the "huge" size. Even the one with the 2 1/2 inch size cylinder.
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

joe817 wrote:
IsraelisJewish wrote:So is 45LC not a lethal size if you defended yourself with it? (As far as 45 ammo goes). I know of course, any size ammo COULD be lethal. I hope you get what I am asking here, not trying to argue or something.
Ohhhhh the .45 LC is PLENTY lethal. Using modern, smokeless powder, it approaches the ballistics of a .44 magnum!

"Some handloads and factory manufactured cartridges put this round in the same class as the .44 Magnum"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt

The fact that the Judge can shoot both .45LC & .410 shotshell, makes it an interesting gun. But IMO, it would be an awfully awkward gun for every day carry. A good gun to take with you hunting as a secondary firearm, or a good home defense weapon. It's huge. To big for me.
Just a word of caution, I do not recommend shoot that hot of a load in most revolvers chambered in .45 Colt.

The Taurus judge does not reach the performance it could with .45 Colt due to the extra large chamber, nor does it reach the capabilities it could with .410 because of the cylinder gap and short barrel. This gun is useful only when dealing with snakes and when you want to shoot something fun, and they are fun. They are so fun I own two.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

ttownsig

Post by ttownsig »

I own one and enjoy shooting it, a lot! But it is just too bulky and heavy for every day carry. When not shooting the gun at the range it is loaded with both 410 shot and 45 LC bullets and is beside the bed every night. Do I like the gune? yes. Will I ever carry the gun? no. Just a lot of fun to shoot at the range.

Topic author
IsraelisJewish

Post by IsraelisJewish »

Ttownsig: do you have the polymear version?
David (IsraelisJewish)
SunnyWalker.net

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

G.A. Heath wrote:Just a word of caution, I do not recommend shoot that hot of a load in most revolvers chambered in .45 Colt.

The Taurus judge does not reach the performance it could with .45 Colt due to the extra large chamber, nor does it reach the capabilities it could with .410 because of the cylinder gap and short barrel. This gun is useful only when dealing with snakes and when you want to shoot something fun, and they are fun. They are so fun I own two.
What G.A. said.

Even with improved 410 ammo, I've always considered the Taurus Judge, in terms of self-defense, as a solution in search of a problem.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

dlh

Post by dlh »

For every day carry I will stick with my Glock 26.

However, slightly off-topic to the Taurus revolver issue--I highly recommend the Taurus Judge "long gun" with accompanying 5-shot revolver action. It is my go-to rattlesnake gun around the ranch house. I keep it loaded with 2.5 inch No. 9 shot in .410. If I miss a rattler with the first shot (has never happened) then I know there are 4 more rounds behind that one for additional "insurance."
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”