Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#1

Post by johncanfield » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Had family visiting for a couple of days and we saved some time to shoot (I live on a ranch) so I drag out the ARs, several handguns and my new Mossy pump 12 gauge. Due to events, I haven't made the time to shoot handguns with the wife (we try to shoot at least once a month) in a year or more. Yup, not a good situation.

So it's time to shoot my P239 (in 357 Sig caliber) and to my astonishment I had nothing but trouble with it failing to feed. It was pretty dusty from being on my hip 16 hours a day year round so I just finished cleaning it and thought this old girl should run like a Swiss watch now. Nope. :cryin It will not feed my hollow points or ball ammo from two different magazines.

I am so disappointed words fail me. If I would have been in a situation where I needed to pull the gun from the holster, its only use would be for me to throw the whole gun at a perp.

The P239 is going to go back to Sig and I'm on the hunt for another EDC gun. I was interested in the P320 but there's reports of ironically that one failing to feed. I would really like to stay with a single stack gun, the P320 is sort of single stack. I'm also curious about the P938. My wife carries a P238 and it's a very reliable shooter but a little small for 9mm caliber. I love shooting our 1911 and I should probably look at the smaller 1911s.

If anybody has any recommendations I would love to hear them.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10401
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#2

Post by AndyC » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 pm

I love my P938 - reliable, accurate, 1911-style familiarity and I can make larger mags for it.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#3

Post by LDP » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Where does the feeding process get interrupted/hung?
Did you try to troubleshoot the feed failure? Is the feed ramp clean as a whistle and slick? Could it be as simple as weak magazine springs? (EDC magazines suffer from this greatly - hence the need for 4x the magazines and their rotation every quarter)

Let us know what you find. Curious.


cirus
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#4

Post by cirus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Could be weak mag springs. I had some Chip Mccormick mags that the springs went south on. They would fail to feed on the last round. Replaced them with Wolf springs. Good as new.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#5

Post by WTR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 pm

LDP wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 pm
Where does the feeding process get interrupted/hung?
Did you try to troubleshoot the feed failure? Is the feed ramp clean as a whistle and slick? Could it be as simple as weak magazine springs? (EDC magazines suffer from this greatly - hence the need for 4x the magazines and their rotation every quarter)

Let us know what you find. Curious.
I don’t buy the weak mag spring theory . My Mom was moving and found 6 1911 mags which I had loaded when I was 17. I’m 63 now. They shot with no FF problems. I also have some H & K mags I had loaded before I became sick ( 13 years now ). I found them and went to the range the other day. No FF issues.


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#6

Post by LDP » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:12 pm

WTR wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 pm
LDP wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 pm
Where does the feeding process get interrupted/hung?
Did you try to troubleshoot the feed failure? Is the feed ramp clean as a whistle and slick? Could it be as simple as weak magazine springs? (EDC magazines suffer from this greatly - hence the need for 4x the magazines and their rotation every quarter)

Let us know what you find. Curious.
I don’t buy the weak mag spring theory . My Mom was moving and found 6 1911 mags which I had loaded when I was 17. I’m 63 now. They shot with no FF problems. I also have some H & K mags I had loaded before I became sick ( 13 years now ). I found them and went to the range the other day. No FF issues.
No argument here, don't mean to force any theories onto anyone, hence my question about the mode of the FF.
FWIW, those magazines that you loaded at 17 were NOT made in China. Just food for thought. Actually ... can I have some? They are hard to find nowadays.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#7

Post by WTR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:18 pm

They are Colt factory mags. I use CMC Mags now for the 1911 and factory mags for the H & K.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 24915
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#8

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Are you determined to stay with .357 Sig? I ask because there are a number of single stack guns in other calibers from other makers that are good quality guns with reputations for reliability. For instance, Glock 43, 43x, and 48 are all single stack 9's that will go bang every single time.....dirty or not.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 16867
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#9

Post by WildBill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm

johncanfield wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

If anybody has any recommendations I would love to hear them.
Are you shooting factory loads?
NRA Endowment Member


cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#10

Post by cmgee67 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Sig P365
Or P365 XL
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

User avatar

narcissist
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#11

Post by narcissist » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:28 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Are you determined to stay with .357 Sig? I ask because there are a number of single stack guns in other calibers from other makers that are good quality guns with reputations for reliability. For instance, Glock 43, 43x, and 48 are all single stack 9's that will go bang every single time.....dirty or not.
:iagree: My own personal experience with Sig Sauer pistols had nothing but problems, Brand New straight out of the box I might add. Lot of people love em and swear by them but wouldn't trust my life with one.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

User avatar

Topic author
johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#12

Post by johncanfield » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm

WildBill wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 pm
johncanfield wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

If anybody has any recommendations I would love to hear them.
Are you shooting factory loads?
Yessir, factory loads. The weak spring theory is interesting, not sure if I have more magazines for that Sig. The reason I wanted to stay with 357 Sig is I have a bunch of ammo and a P226 in 357 Sig on the nightstand. I like that round because of the necked down casing so it never fails to feed :smilelol5:

The FTF happens right as the bullet hits the feed ramp :totap:

Thanks everyone for the help!
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone


LDP
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#13

Post by LDP » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:16 pm

johncanfield wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm
The FTF happens right as the bullet hits the feed ramp :totap:

Thanks everyone for the help!
After you clean the ramp, do you oil it slightly?
What ammunition do you use? I failed to see it in previous posts but maybe I'm just getting old and blind.
Have you tried different ammunition? FMJ instead of JHP?

Come to think of it: does the bullet hang somewhere in the middle of the ramp or at the bottom edge? That would make a big difference.

If you don't want to "play" with real ammunition in your house, you can load up spent cartridges with just a bullet and no powder (or primer) and test with those. They'll be much safer.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 24915
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#14

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:26 pm

narcissist wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:28 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Are you determined to stay with .357 Sig? I ask because there are a number of single stack guns in other calibers from other makers that are good quality guns with reputations for reliability. For instance, Glock 43, 43x, and 48 are all single stack 9's that will go bang every single time.....dirty or not.
:iagree: My own personal experience with Sig Sauer pistols had nothing but problems, Brand New straight out of the box I might add. Lot of people love em and swear by them but wouldn't trust my life with one.
I’ve only owned one Sig—an alloy framed commander sized 1911 GSR. I had serious feed issues that wouldn’t clear up, despite trying different magazines and having the feedramp polished. I eventually traded it in for a 3" Kimber stainless Ultra Carry. But that said, everyone else I’ve known who owns Sigs has loved them and had no problems with them. I once had the opportunity to shoot another member's P226 (or was it a P229?), and I thought it was a real nice pistol.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

Topic author
johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Uh-oh... Trouble with my P239 EDC

#15

Post by johncanfield » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:17 pm

LDP wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:16 pm
johncanfield wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm
The FTF happens right as the bullet hits the feed ramp :totap:

Thanks everyone for the help!
After you clean the ramp, do you oil it slightly?
What ammunition do you use? I failed to see it in previous posts but maybe I'm just getting old and blind.
Have you tried different ammunition? FMJ instead of JHP?

Come to think of it: does the bullet hang somewhere in the middle of the ramp or at the bottom edge? That would make a big difference.

If you don't want to "play" with real ammunition in your house, you can load up spent cartridges with just a bullet and no powder (or primer) and test with those. They'll be much safer.
I tried my Hornady hollow points (usual carry ammo) and some whatever brand ball ammo. I took a couple of fail to feed pictures and the bullet has fully entered the feed ramp and it has just entered the barrel - that's when it fails.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”