My first Garand

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cirus
Posts in topic: 3

My first Garand

Post by cirus »

I wanted a shooter so got a CMP rack grade special. Receiver is from June 43 and the bolt from Nov. 41. New barrel and stock. Had to have the m1905 made in 1917 also. Sorry about the pic up side down.
Attachments
20200627_192627.jpg

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My first Garand

Post by parabelum »

Congratulations! I’ve got mine from cmp few years ago, don’t shoot it much, maybe 5-6 clips per year but when I do it makes me grin! Absolutely love it.
Where did you get your bayonet and what year is it? Looks like a 10”?

Topic author
cirus

Post by cirus »

No its a 16" made in 1917. I've got a 10" also made by AFH i think. Got both from CMP forum members. The 16" has been reparked.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Very nice. I enjoy my M1 and 03-A3. Was planning on my first CMP match with both earlier this spring before everything went crazy. Hopefully get to do that for the first time this fall.

Still want to add an M1 Carbine, a 1903 and a 1917 Enfield at some point.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
cirus

Post by cirus »

I ran into a 1917 Enfield the other day but it had been sporterized. I started to ask the old guy how much he would take for it but i didnt know what a stock would cost for it.

equin

Post by equin »

Nice! I also got a CMP Special a few years ago. Mine’s a post Korean War H&R receiver. Love shooting it. My Uncle Juan fought in the Pacific during WWII, and my Uncle Manolo and Step-Grandfather Guilo fought in Korea. So I’m sure at least one of them carried an M1.
Ed

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Congrats! Love my Service Grade M-1, 1903, 1903A3, 1917, and Carbine. All I need now is a Krag,
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Anyone looking for a crate of period ammo for their Garand?
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

stever1950 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm Anyone looking for a crate of period ammo for their Garand?
Always!
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

SigM4 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:41 pm
stever1950 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:15 pm Anyone looking for a crate of period ammo for their Garand?
Always!
Friend of my wifes gave it to me to get rid of. At first I just saw 7.62mm Patron and thought it was 308. As soon as I opened it I knew it was something else.I had to search the heck out of Google to find out what it was. As best I can find out it is Danish, 150 gr. copper plated steel projectile, non-corrosive.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Very nice cirus and everyone else.

We gotta shut this thread down now or it's gonna cost me some serious $$.

I have an M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield (A3 I think), and a #4 Mark 1 Enfield.

There's a guy in Irving that is supposed to be able to get stocks for the 1903's. Not too much from what I hear. Thing is he's only open a couple days a week and that was before all the fun this year. I've never made it down to his place to see if he can get me one for mine. The barrel is shot out of mine, so it would be purely for aesthetics anyway. My dad bought it for $25 out of a pickle barrel in some pawn shop before I was born and threw away the original stock then sporterized it. :cryin
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

I can hear this GIF:

The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

Nice rifles in this thread. As a kid getting into firearms I fell in love with the looks of the '03 Springfield. It will probably be the next gun I purchase. An A3. I can remember as a teen flying out to my uncle's house and he had all the guns I love. He said I could pick the guns we take to the range. An M1 carbine, M1 Garand. A Remington Rand 1911 of WWII vintage and either a super match M1A or an AR15. The AR stayed in the safe and the rest we shot. Some years later he gave me and my brother the carbine. He sold the supermatch (which kills me) and the Remington 1911. He gave the garand to my cousin. I'd like a garand too but since I bought the scout squad recently I'd like to get a bolt action.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”