Has anyone had experance with "The Judge"?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
galvestonredneck
Posts in topic: 8

Has anyone had experance with "The Judge"?

Post by galvestonredneck »

Thoughts of the aftermath of a huricain has me wanting to buy a "Judge" 4510TKR revolver. I see on the web that there are several different models. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would also be interested in finding out where you bought yours and if one place is better than another. I have have never bought a firearm over the internet but the prices are tempting.

Thank You,
Galveston Redneck
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

sivart-dod

Re: Has anyone had experance with "The Judge"?

Post by sivart-dod »

I have heard good things about www.gunbroker.com

I cant say for myself though, I have never used it.

I might be using it soon though

Xander
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Xander »

galvestonredneck wrote:Thoughts of the aftermath of a huricain has me wanting to buy a "Judge" 4510TKR revolver.\
For curiosities sake, may I ask why, specifically?

Topic author
galvestonredneck

Xander wrote:
galvestonredneck wrote:Thoughts of the aftermath of a huricain has me wanting to buy a "Judge" 4510TKR revolver.\
For curiosities sake, may I ask why, specifically?
Well Xander, I don't want to tell you "specifically". My job will require me to stay on this island in case of a storm. The storm don't worry me, but I watched enough Katrinia coverage to cause me some concern in the aftermath. I was not in N.O. at the time but I worked as a subcontractor to a electric company that had guys I knew there before the wind stopped blowing. The stories related to me by these guys after the storm raised the hair on the back of my ole neck--LOL.

There were GROOPS of BG's roaming the streets and confronting anyone who might get in there path.

Needless to say, the thought of a handgun that would offer some protection when there is more than one BG is right up there on my list. Useing a long gun (12 guage shotgun) would not be practical for my situation.

Let me say here in the intrest of the "legal" types. I ain't lookin to shoot someone, I want it to shoot skeet with--LOL

Galveston Redneck
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

Not sure what the other guy meant as to "why specifically", but I don't think it was why you wanted a gun, but why you wanted that specific gun.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Xander

Post by Xander »

galvestonredneck wrote: Needless to say, the thought of a handgun that would offer some protection when there is more than one BG is right up there on my list. Useing a long gun (12 guage shotgun) would not be practical for my situation.
In that case, I'd suggest that The Judge™ is not the best choice. It's too big and bulky, and neither .45LC nor .410 are particularly widely used defensive calibers. If you're looking for a revolver, I'd suggest something in .357 Magnum...Maybe an S&W 686+, for instance. If you're just looking for high capacity, a full-sized Glock or S&W M&P might be more suitable.

Xander

Post by Xander »

Purplehood wrote:Not sure what the other guy meant as to "why specifically", but I don't think it was why you wanted a gun, but why you wanted that specific gun.
Yes, thank you, that was exactly what I was trying to ask.

Topic author
galvestonredneck

My mistake, I missed your point.

I believe the Judge loaded with 3 inch shot shell fired at 15 to 30 foot would give a more desireable result than any standard round. I am told the pattern would be large a lot faster than in a long gun with a smoth bore. I believe it would "convence" a groop of dogs, cats, snakes... to go elsewhere.

Also, you can't enjoy Skeet with 357--LOL

Galveston Redneck
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

The Box O'Truth evaluated the Judge.

According to them and every other authoritative source that I have heard or read, no .410 load is suitable for self-defense.

I would rather have a .357 Magnum revolver and a 12-gauge shotgun. That's 11 rounds of devastating power. If that doesn't fix your problem, you needed air support. ;-)

- Jim

Topic author
galvestonredneck

seamusTX wrote:The Box O'Truth evaluated the Judge.

According to them and every other authoritative source that I have heard or read, no .410 load is suitable for self-defense.

I would rather have a .357 Magnum revolver and a 12-gauge shotgun. That's 11 rounds of devastating power. If that doesn't fix your problem, you needed air support. ;-)

- Jim
Top of the mornin to ya Jim,
What got me looking into the Judge was a review I read on this forum by LedJedi. I looked back and read it again. http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... lit=review

The law outlawed short shotguns because?

I am still convinced this would be a great gun for a Groop of snakes (you KNOW we have had our snake problems around here--LOL

Galveston Redneck

Truth is, I have allwas loved the 410 guage shotgun. I just thing it would be a lot of fun to shoot. I would allways have my CZ as well.
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

galvestonredneck wrote:The law outlawed short shotguns because?
The National Firearms Act of 1934 put controls on short-barrel rifles and shotguns because they were favorite weapons of criminals, mainly bank robbers. The way people dressed in the 1930s (suits for men), it was easier to conceal such a weapon.

The Judge avoids the definition of a short shotgun because it has a rifled barrel. Unfortunately, that also increases the spread of shot.

The barrel diameter also means that a .410 slug will not engage the rifling.

It would be great for snakes and a novelty for skeet. Tom Estep used to shoot skeet with .357 Magnum shotshells as a sucker bet.

- Jim

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Captain Matt »

Sounds good for close targets under five pounds.
"hic sunt dracones"

bryang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bryang »

Here is the link to that review by "The Box Of Truth" of the Judge.http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm
I had thought about getting one of those a while back, but after seeing that review I kind of lost my interest in it.

I hope it helps you,
-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

lawrnk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by lawrnk »

I'll say that as much as people knock the .410 as ineffective against a burly BG, it scares the dickens out of me.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

A .22 would scare the dickens out of me. The problem is the lunatic who doesn't care.

- Jim

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”